Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-03-28, 5:27pm

Default BOC Purple Heart Recipes

I thought it might be helpful to have a thread on recipes for making BOC Purple Hearts. What glass, frit, enamel etc...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2011-03-28, 10:37pm

Great idea; I'll start. CIM Heffalump with Beadgoodies Mystic frit is just magical. One of my favorite combinations.

If you want to case the bead, use Uroboros Cotton Candy instead of Heffalump. Both are beautiful with Mystic frit.

This heart is Heffalump.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-29, 5:05pm

Thanks Diane! Beautiful bead and very purple!

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2011-03-29, 8:21pm

Thanks Melinda. Hefflelump and Cotton Candy really work well with a variety of purple frits, including Beadgoodies Timeless Purple and Val Cox African Violet (which are very similar to each other). Both of these frits make beautiful BOC hearts, especially cased under clear.

Old 2011-03-29, 11:05pm

You should see the gorgeous purple heart with flowers that Diane gave me for my birthday! I'm so fortunate that she's my dear friend! She's also great about sharing her tricks and tips.
Another beautiful purple heart Diane!
ginger
Old 2011-03-30, 8:00am

Thanks Ginger. So glad you like it. Your heart was a base of Moretti white cased in Violet Light Premium Transparent (591041) from Frantz. Not sure what the other sellers call this color, but it is a true transparent purple and perfect for purple hearts as long as you put it over a light base color. It's also a good color to use in purple twisties because it looks so good with some of the amethyst purples.

Here's another heart I made using Violet Light Premium Transparent over white. It's one of my favorite purples.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-03-30, 10:55am

When you are making BoC Purple Hearts please also remember to make the hole run vertically so that they can be easily wire wrapped.

Cool hearts, Diane!

Robert
Old 2011-03-30, 11:29am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
When you are making BoC Purple Hearts please also remember to make the hole run vertically so that they can be easily wire wrapped.
I thought the holes could be either vertical or horizontal?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-03-30, 12:15pm

Thanks Robert. I love making them knowing what they mean to the kids.

Yes, Elizabeth, I thought the holes could run either way. I make all of my hearts with a horizontal hole.

What I'd been told in the past was that if the hole runs vertically the hearts have to be wire wrapped before they are given to the kids, but if they are horizontal they can be used "as is".

Old 2011-03-30, 2:02pm

I'll be getting me some of that violet lt premium purple!!

Old 2011-03-30, 3:13pm
Obsessed Blogger

They can be used either way.

::
Old 2011-03-31, 2:51pm
Powers Art Studio

Beautiful beads, Diane!

Old 2011-03-31, 4:09pm

Thanks Andrea. I can't wait to see what other ideas pop up in this thread. I'm always looking for inspiration.

Old 2011-03-31, 4:15pm

Medium or dark transparent purple over periwinkle makes a luscious purple. Embed a cz in it and it takes it to the next level.

To easily embed a cz, take an old bent mandrel that you haven't tossed. Put just a tiny tiny dab of elmers glue on the end and touch it down to the flat crown side of a cz. Stick it where you stick your mandrels for them to dry. To use, simple get your spot hot, take bead out of flame and push the mandrel into the hot spot on the bead. The elmers burns off quickly and there is no residue left from it. If you like, put a dot of clear over the cz.

Do not use bigger than a 2 mm cz or you may have cracking issues.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2011-05-11, 9:32pm

crappy pic, but here's a bowl of bears made with clear and encased with Effetre 041.
Attached Images

Old 2011-05-12, 7:41am

Melinda those are darling!
Old 2011-07-08, 10:29am
Isinglass Design

Hmmm...This was just what I was looking for, but I'd like to see more ideas. Diane- does the heffalump need to be on a light core too? Or maybe a clear core?
I have been making some using 039 moretti purple over a white background, which are a nice color.
And I used to use amethyst 044 over light periwinkle. Don't really remember what that ends up looking like, and whether it's a nice purpl-y purple. Since the ink blue purples came out, I rarely use the amethyst any more.
Is there any non-transparent purple that really looks purple? I'm wondering if there's something that doesn't take quite so much layering for the background.

Laurie