Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-05-31, 10:17am
HourGlass Studio

Default My almost done studio.....

We just moved into our new house this April. DH decided to make me a new setup. Its almost done. I just need to buy 2 squirrel cage ( direct drive blower fans ) fans, set up the new torch and hook it up to NG. Currently I have the 2 kitchen fans above each torch and another fan up above the upper cabinets to give additional pull.

The glass storage cubes my husband designed so that if they need to be moved you can just pick them up and not have to worry about your glass shifting, falling out the back or getting mixed up. Each glass cube holds 30 PVC tubes and each tube can hold 2 lbs of glass. We could have made the cubes hold more glass but didnt want the MDF cubes to be too heavy to lift and move around for me. I have 2 more cubes waiting to be put together.

I have both a Minor and a Betta. 2 oxycons and NG. You cant see in the picture but I have lower drawers for frit and storage plus all my tools. I will try to get some more picture of those....but for now here is my set up. Its almost done. YEAH !!

Last edited by Laurie L; 2007-05-31 at 10:45am.
Old 2007-05-31, 11:13am
Slave to the Flame

Wow!! I want to see closeups of those rod holders! HEHE, looks wonderful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Our Website!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Our Latest ITEMS

Supplies

Our BLOG
Old 2007-05-31, 11:57am
HourGlass Studio

Some more pics...of my oxycon area ( have 2 of them - each in a seperate door area), some of the drwers that hold frit etc..., a close up of the cube and my tool drawer.

Last edited by Laurie L; 2007-05-31 at 12:44pm.
Old 2007-05-31, 12:20pm
critter creator

Exclamation

Hey nice studio, but quick question - Are you planning to have those cabinet doors open while running your oxycons? If not, you may want to think about drilling a whole lot of holes into the door or side of the cabinets. Otherwise the oxycons will just get suffocated and not put out any oxy!

Just a thought for you...
Old 2007-05-31, 12:43pm
HourGlass Studio

Doesnt show in the picture but there are holes ( large ones ) drilled out on the sides of the cabs for air, plus yes I usually do open the doors when torching....my setup was semi similar to this at our old place.
Old 2007-05-31, 2:45pm
birdergirl ~o~

Very nice Laurie!
What size is your exhaust ducting ~it looks so small? Mine is so big (8 iInches)
great glass storage!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2007-05-31, 3:34pm
HourGlass Studio

Right now its 4 inch....they put in way too small of ducting. the electrician needs to come back and fix it.
Old 2007-05-31, 4:03pm

So neat and tidy. Show us pix again when you get to working so we can see it all messed up!! lol
Old 2007-05-31, 4:22pm
HourGlass Studio

I will post some new pics after the vent system has been modified.....and once I have used it some and its an absolute mess. hehe
Old 2007-05-31, 4:25pm
Impatient Noob

Wow, that looks like a pretty fantastic bench to work at.
Old 2007-05-31, 5:23pm

nice setup
Old 2007-06-01, 9:51am

boy do I wish.NICE
Old 2007-06-01, 10:45am

Very nice Lori, It is so neat and organized! And I see you like frit too.Love the glass storage cubes.
Lol, MarieAnn
Old 2007-06-01, 12:27pm
HourGlass Studio

I love frit...dont have as much as I'd like though...do we ever. LOL.

Thanks everyone. I cant wait to use it. 4 months without a torch setup has been a looooooooong time.
Old 2007-06-02, 5:30pm
yukue fumei

WOW! That's an awesome setup! Nice job!!

nagi

Old 2007-06-02, 8:52pm

Default WOW

looks good
Old 2007-06-03, 10:00am
HourGlass Studio

Well I have bought 1 new vent system and its being installed sometime this week. I just need to get 1 more. So each torching area will have its own seperate vent. Its been almost 5 months since I have lit the flame. I am also putting up clear plexi glass sides ( baffles ) on each side of the kitchen vent hoods. This will help contain the heat and fumes so the vent system can carry it up - up and away easier....going to screw the plexiglass to the kitchen fans.

Last edited by Laurie L; 2007-06-03 at 10:02am.
Old 2007-06-04, 12:41pm
reaction junkie

wow, looks like a perfect set-up! Enjoy

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-17, 5:31pm
still not Leslie

Location: Home the 2011 Worlds Series Champion St Louis Cardinals

Wow! What a great place!!!!
Old 2007-06-18, 1:16pm

Wow, I love it, all organized and clean...my dream. Congrats on getting it set up.
Old 2007-06-19, 7:29pm

I just seen a car parked in your studio. Ha! Ha!
Old 2007-06-21, 9:31pm
Texas Art Angel

What are your glass rods stored in? I love that look. Actually lov the whole set up.
Congrats
Lori
Old 2007-06-24, 6:53am
stacijane on Etsy

Very nice setup! It looks so nice and neat with the white cabinets.

Old 2007-06-30, 11:07am
HourGlass Studio

Thanks for the compliments everyone. The studio is in my garage. I dont usually have the van parked in there but we were sealing our driveway and I decided to pull it into the garage. I usually only park the van inside durring the winter and even then I sometimes decide to not park inside. We have a large garage and my 4 year old likes to ride his trike in there.....its a safe place to play whrn mommas around.
Old 2007-06-30, 11:16am
HourGlass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassgal View Post
What are your glass rods stored in? I love that look. Actually lov the whole set up.
Congrats
Lori
Thanks. My husband designed them and made them pretty easy. Thet were designed so the rods do not fall out at the back if you were to pick the cube up and move it.

Basically he cut 6 pcs of MDF....1 of the 6 pcs he cut the front holes in...the front piece. The back piece he routered a circle for every hole he cut in the front...so they match or line up - front to back.

Then he routered the front circles he cut out, but he routered on the backside ( the side on the inside of the cube ) the routers match up still...front to back. He then put in pieces of PVC pipe that he cut to fit into the routered circles....these PVC pipe pieces fit semi tight once the cube is put together and dont fall out of the routered circles.

So then he put the cubes together...glued and airnailed and some screws. They are not heavy even made out of MDF.

So when you put your glass thru the hole in the front.....you slide it into the PVC pipe and there is no way your glass can fall out the back. Its easy to stack and I have used cardboard to divide some of the holes to store more than 1 color.

I am going to see if I can find a pic.
Old 2007-07-01, 6:04am
Calendar Girl

Default Look out, Martha!

So nicely set up, neat and orderly. Looks like you are ready to begin filming your DIY bead series. I'll look for you in the fall line-up. Look out Martha!

Congrats!
Old 2007-07-01, 11:15am
HourGlass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjo View Post
So nicely set up, neat and orderly. Looks like you are ready to begin filming your DIY bead series. I'll look for you in the fall line-up. Look out Martha!

Congrats!
LOL.....nope, no filming going on here. I dont think I would be able to give Martha a run for her money.