LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-03-22, 7:38am

How cool!!!! Can hardly wait to see the next pics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and also ......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-03-22, 5:20pm
Fire! Fire! Fire!

Default Studio Lighting

We're at a construction crossroad - what lighting to use? We already have some tungsten drop lamps (the kind you'd see on a pier in Florida - like on Redington Long Pier if you're familiar with it). And I think they even used to have them over the tables at Red Lobster years ago. Not sure I want to go that route as the design scheme I have in mind is more contemporary. I wasn't thinking of a nautical theme at all, but they're free. I won't have any natural light or windows.

I saw this fixture at Home Depot and love the way it looks. I also love that I could point the lights directly where I need them. I think it takes halogen bulbs. I'm not sure if this would be enough lighting. I had decided on this one for sure and now I just don't know. Craig said he could also suspend or install this light in front of the hood he's building, but I'm having a hard time visualizing his brilliant vision. He also mentioned building a false wall to attach it to.

We also have some long overhead fluorescent units. We could install the fixture above AND suspend from chains a fluorescent unit.

Craig says it's really up to me. I want to love the way my studio looks, but I also need to see what I'm doing. I thought about adding floor or other lamps behind me later if needed, but I don't want to bump into them. And I really don't want to use the clip type lights, although they'd provide great light. I do like these desk lamps, so maybe I'll use them too. We really need to make the decision now too because Craig is about to run the electric.

I know the tungsten is hotter and fluorescent is cooler. I will have a/c, but the garage is sometimes hotter inside than outside in the summer at certain times of day. I seem to see best while torching with fluorescent overhead lighting and have a harder time without it. In my old studio we had an old stove hood and used plain light bulbs in that and I still had a hard time seeing. It probably would help immensely I got better didys too. Mine are the clunky industrial type.

I'd like to hear your opinions as to what works best for you.

Old 2008-03-22, 6:37pm
still not Leslie

Location: Home the 2011 Worlds Series Champion St Louis Cardinals

Emily that is going to be a wonderful studio! Take to Melissa and Becky for lighting detail. I like the second set of lights! You got a great hubby!
Old 2008-03-22, 6:49pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't flourscent lighting change our colors of glass? I know the transp lavendar turns blue in my kitchen and it's lavendar everywhere else. So I'm thinking something more natural would work better. How about the traditional flourscent lighting fixture you see in kitchens but change the bulbs to incandencent or something else.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2008-03-22, 6:54pm
Fire! Fire! Fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T. View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't flourscent lighting change our colors of glass? I know the transp lavendar turns blue in my kitchen and it's lavendar everywhere else. So I'm thinking something more natural would work better. How about the traditional flourscent lighting fixture you see in kitchens but change the bulbs to incandencent or something else.
That thought did cross my mind, but the only color I've seen shift is light amethyst or lavendar (not really sure the exact shade name).

Old 2008-03-22, 7:40pm
Smooches!

You need task lighting, but I wouldn't use halogen bulbs. They put off a tremendous amount of HEAT, don't last as long, and are expensive comparatively speaking to other light bulbs. In the wintertime, the heat from the bulbs are nice, but summertime?

Ask me how I know - I USED to have halogen track lighting in my old store. Hard to keep the store cool.

Miss Kate

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-03-22, 8:05pm
Fire! Fire! Fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Kate View Post
You need task lighting, but I wouldn't use halogen bulbs. They put off a tremendous amount of HEAT, don't last as long, and are expensive comparatively speaking to other light bulbs. In the wintertime, the heat from the bulbs are nice, but summertime?

Ask me how I know - I USED to have halogen track lighting in my old store. Hard to keep the store cool.

Miss Kate
Mkay. This is what I want to hear. What people like and dislike, good, bad, etc.

I had fun last night at Third Degree, Katie! And yes, I do need to hop on more frequently to LE. I've been making up for lost time this evening too, checking out other studio threads to see what everyone else is doing/has done/didn't like/loved, etc.

Old 2008-03-22, 8:11pm
Smooches!

Good! We've been missing you! See if you can get a fixture that you like that will take "daylight/full spectrum" lightbulbs, without the heat of the halogen. Your kiln's gonna be putting off enough heat in the summer.

Miss Kate

Old 2008-03-23, 5:35am
Smooches!

You know I was thinking about this some more late last night. The halogen spots I used were a lot bigger (and there were a lot more of them) than the ones in this light fixture you like. I think the lights down at 3rd degree in our torch room are halogens, and I don't feel like they put out too much head.

I actually think you'd be fine with that fixture you like.

Miss Kate