Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-11-20, 9:39am
Normal is Boring!!

Default What is this backdrop???

Can anyone tell me what this backdrop is in the photo. It's silver and reflective??? I've been looking for it and can't seem to find it from any photo shop??? Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2009-11-20, 9:46am
Who me?

It looks like a frosted mirror.
Old 2009-11-20, 10:32am
Flaming Redhead!

I'd bet it's one of these...

http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/smsifrreri.html

I have one and like it alot...however, it scratches really easy so you have to be really careful when placing items on it to photograph.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2009-11-20, 11:14am
Normal is Boring!!

Alex9 you are a doll- You may be right- if not I like it anyway!!! THANK you!!!

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2009-11-20, 11:25am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Got the same and love it. I do agree with Alex - it does scratch very easy. I even got scratches from simply placing etched beads on it.
If someone knows a trick how to avoid that (some protection of sorts), please do let us know. I tried a couple of things like placing a protective non-reflective glass on it, but that just changed the effect.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-11-20, 11:26am
Normal is Boring!!

good to know-seems like everything scratchs lately I'm using- Thanks Judith!!!

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2009-12-01, 3:34pm
Covered in glitter

I don't have that but what I did was to buy a cheap small black wooden picture frame from Target. I took the glass out, flipped the frame over and taped the glass to the top of the frame. I use black paper underneath and sit the frame on top. I get the black but also the reflection from the glass if that makes any sense. LOL It's majorly cheap and I like the look of it.
This is what I get with it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche

Last edited by debkauz; 2009-12-01 at 3:38pm.
Old 2009-12-03, 4:30am
Wendy

Deb thanks for sharing that idea! Definitely going to try that out.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2009-12-03, 8:43pm

Its high gloss black formica.

ESTY
Old 2009-12-04, 2:31pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I looks to me like a sheet of 'flashing' that roofers use under the shingles in the crease between two sections of roof (the valley). Home Depot sells it - take a look.

Old 2009-12-05, 12:38pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

See if you can find anything with that finish in the pots and pans aisle. That just reminded me I need to go look.

Old 2009-12-20, 5:43am
organically speaking

I get a similar effect using a dark non-stick baking sheet. It's not quite as reflective but it doesn't scratch, either. I sometimes put a sheet of clear glass over the top for a shinier surface. It makes a pretty 'floating' effect, too. Plus, it's cheap!

~Laurie

Old 2009-12-20, 6:34am
BeadsonCypress

great ideas folks.. I need to start photographing some of my work and so far the photos are just terrible!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-12-29, 3:27pm

Trudi it is the frosted plastic risers from tabletop studios.
They do scratch easy, you just have to be very careful with how you place the beads on them.

I have two. One I use for focals, as I use a peice of clay to rest my beads on, and the other I use only with sets.

I have a black and white one as well but haven't used them yet. I haven't tried this yet but I'm thinking that if you coated the riser with pledge or something it might not scratch so easy? Or it may cover up the scratches?

I manage to avoid any scratches in my shots by shooting on an angle or if I have to I'll edit them out in photoshop with the magic blending tool.

Old 2009-12-29, 5:47pm

basic sheetmetal (home depot, lowes)

Old 2010-01-06, 1:56pm
Normal is Boring!!

Shari-
Yes it's close and I did get one but my camera picks up every little piece of lint- crap it drives me crazy.....Yes I have the dust spray can and use it everytime but man I need to figure out how to get the dust flecks off it better- it looks good but then the photos pick them up and enlarges them so how...LOL ......Hum just clean more-na....LOL

Dust bunnies suck!!!

thanks guys....your awesome

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2010-01-06, 2:38pm
Fire Monkey

You can buy a sheet of brushed aluminum at a hobby store (I also found some in a local specialty hardware store). It's about $3 a small sheet. They also have stainless steel which is more expensive but not as soft so more scratch-resistant.
For myself, I use a piece of cardstock that looks just like brushed aluminum. It scratches really easily but it's really really cheap. I buy several at a time

Old 2010-01-06, 2:39pm
Fire Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkauz View Post
I don't have that but what I did was to buy a cheap small black wooden picture frame from Target. I took the glass out, flipped the frame over and taped the glass to the top of the frame. I use black paper underneath and sit the frame on top. I get the black but also the reflection from the glass if that makes any sense. LOL It's majorly cheap and I like the look of it.
This is what I get with it.

I really like this look!

Old 2010-01-12, 5:52pm
one day at a time

Wow, you guys have came up with some great ideas! Thank you so much!

I'm getting a little tired of my stark white backgrounds.
Old 2010-01-14, 8:52pm
Covered in glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly View Post
I really like this look!
Thanks!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche