Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-11-09, 5:14pm

Default image size question

O.K I feel like a total idiot. I had never posted pics before and I posted some in the gallery and they were so huge. I am so mortified. I though if I got them to download that they would look like everyone else's. Is it the mps that need to be reduced or is there something else.

What size is a good size to post?

Thanks a bunch,

Alison
Old 2008-11-10, 10:01pm

A good rule of thumb is 600 to 650 pixels on the long side and let the short side stay poportial to the long side. Then save it between 72 to 100 ppi resolution in sRGB color mode as a jpg of about quality 7 or 8. Make sure it's 8 bit and not 16 bit (default is usually 8 bit unless you have created a 16 bit tif file to work with).

With images displayed on screens, much over 100 resolution is a waste of resolution. Also, if you work on your image in AdobeRGB you have all the color information to edit with, but you want to save it in sRGB as your final step before saving it for the web since a lot of those AdobeRGB color pixels are thrown out on the screen anyway. And since the video card doesn't care what pixels it throws out, your image can end up looking flat, dull and blah.

Mike
Old 2008-11-10, 10:44pm
Fancy Mammal

The most important thing is the number of pixels, and the size Mike mentioned is good.

Many web and image display programs pay no attention to resolution (dpi or ppi) and just display every single pixel, so you may not see a change on the screen when you change dpi. For printing, however the resolution becomes very important.
Old 2008-11-11, 5:44pm

Wow,
Where is the icon that shows me ducking as that totally goes over my head.

Thanks for taking the time to answer dumb questions.
I quess it was a miracle I got them to post at all. My dad took the pictures as I don't know one end of the camera from the other. He really does a great job. They were just a little big to upload so I shrunk them to 90% length and width in Paint. They are 416X576 now so to make them smaller all I have to do is get those numbers smaller, Right?

Thanks so much,
Alison
Old 2008-11-11, 7:17pm
Fancy Mammal

Yes, making those numbers smaller will make the pictures smaller. Though 416 x 576 seems small enough to me (not entirely sure, I never post pictures here...)
Old 2008-11-12, 7:20pm
Mary Lockwood

Yeah 576 isn't embarrassingly large or anything, don't be mortified. The only time picture size is an irritant (usually and in my personal opinion) is when people post pictures so huge you have to scroll left and right to see the whole picture and it tosses off the whole thread...that is a bit much.

But yes...just get those pixel numbers smaller and you will end up with smaller pix.

I usually shoot for 400 pixels wide and let the height adjust itself, but that is just a general number.

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-11-12, 8:52pm

Darn, I knew I should have gotten that ladder back from the last person I explained something too.

Sorry, I didn't mean to give you more information than you needed.

Mike
Old 2008-11-14, 8:14am
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jordan View Post
Darn, I knew I should have gotten that ladder back from the last person I explained something too.

Sorry, I didn't mean to give you more information than you needed.

Mike

I appreciated the detail when I read your response. No harm in in educating us as long as you answer the question.

J

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2008-11-19, 7:30pm

Mike, not your bad, mine. I am helplessly incompetant. I haven't taken pictures since It got hard to get my film developed, and that was with a point and shoot. I am so not good with change.

It was a dig at me, not you.

Alison