Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-11-20, 3:56pm

Default Photo Cubes

these lighting set ups are kinda pricey....here is a suggestion ...I almost went this way but bought the set up.

Well if you have seen the set up you might recognize this...

bottom is katherine wondering what I am going to do with their toy NOW~!

This is exactly the same size as the photo cube I had.

cost $3.99 at walmart or kmart or wherever....

I had started to make one from one of these but broke down and bought the set up.....then decided I was better off just shooting the way I always do...
in natural daylight...

so this is the point...you can get the lights and stands anywhere....

now you can make your own cube. You want to make a pattern first...

you need to buy parachute cloth...I don't know what it is really called but if you are basically familiar with parachute cloth....you can find it at any fabric store and if you take a picture of the real cubes...you might ask someone there...

It is a tough, thin, translucent, white cloth.

so you will want to make a pattern from the cube...leaving enough of a seams so later you can sew the whole thing together....start with one side then then others and make one with a opening....then you just need the piece for the top and bottom.

you can hand stitch it....hummmmmmm lol ok you probably have to hand stitch it...

Then all you need are stands for the lights....you can improvise those and the light bulb....and clamps....

I bring this up because I am sure that most of you could figure out how to make these...and the lighting is pretty standard....

save some money....put it together yourself....

i wouldn't let the cat play with it first...it might decide it belongs to them and try to lay claim to it!

Beads galore at my ebay store!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!

Last edited by !ngridh; 2008-11-20 at 3:59pm. Reason: omission
Old 2008-11-24, 11:43pm

You want to use Sport Nylon. It's usually next to the Rip Stop Nylon at JoAnn's. The advantage of Sport Nylon is that it's smooth white nylon, where Rip Stop has all of those zigzag stiches in the material. Also, the Sport Nylon seems to be the closest to the white nylon used in softboxes and light tents. I've used it to make 6'x4' light panels, diffusion panels and reflectors and as a background. It also comes in other colors, including black, which makes a great gobo and to create negative light (absorb light so it doesn't reflect) and also as a background. I also keep a sheet of black folded up in my camera bag to use as a ground cloth to kneel on when the ground is wet, to put over my camera if it's raining or other things like that. If I use it for a background, I can wet it and throw it into the dryer for a few minutes and all the wrinkles and creases are gone.

It's about a $1 a yard more than Rip Stop nylon, but I think it's worth it.

Mike
Old 2008-12-04, 5:14am
Calendar Girl

I got this one on ebay and it's fine. $11.99 free shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/16-Tabletop-phot...1%7C240%3A1318

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.