Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-11-26, 9:45pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Default What is that black glass-like background?

I see some REALLY beautiful pictures taken on a reflective type background. It looks like a black glass or mirror. Anyone have any idea what it is or where I could get it? I've always just used white and I like it but that reflection really makes the beads jump out at you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2008-11-26, 11:12pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I am pretty sure it is a gradient paper under a piece of glass. Do you mean pics like Kalera's?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-11-27, 5:18am
Wonderland sounds fun...

No, just went to Kalera's etsy and hers are grey.

Maybe its black paper under a pc of glass?

*+.+*
Old 2008-11-27, 9:16pm

Do you mean something like this:

http://www.hydroponics.net/c/54

I've not used the mylar above but I've used a front surface mirror and also a shiny black 18x18 tile that has been waxed. It gives a deep almost reflective shine to anything sitting on it.

Mike
Old 2008-11-27, 11:36pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBeth View Post
No, just went to Kalera's etsy and hers are grey.

Maybe its black paper under a pc of glass?
That's what I meant - hers is a gray gradient under glass - if you used black, it might be what you are talking about.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-11-28, 5:38am
Flaming Redhead!

Something like the black acrylic risers?
http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/blacri.html

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2008-11-28, 9:42am
Wonderland sounds fun...

That black acrylic riser could be it! Thanks so much. I'm gonna try it and see.

*+.+*
Old 2008-12-16, 6:44am
I'm not Barbie.

so Karen, did you ever get this and does it work good for you? I have the silver colored one and I personally don't like it. But the black one looks great! I'd love to know how you like yours if you did get one.
Old 2008-12-24, 10:12am

The black acrylic is much like a mirror and can reflect the white fabric of a tent or something dark. Depending on how the object is lit, shadows can look very black and crisp. Down side of acrylic is how easily it is scratched, and in my studio it is a magnet for every bit of dust and cat hair in the room!

I use non-glare glass over black paper. Not as nice as the acrylic in the shadow areas, but at least I can clean it without scratching it and prop items up with sticky stuff and then clean it off without a problem.

Here is a link to a short tutorial of my methods with the glass and the photo box I built to use with it. http://carolholaday.com/htmlpages/st...tuponglass.htm

I have other photo boxes that I use depending on the result I need. Some of these can be seen on my "Studio Tour" page. At the top of the "Photography" page are photos of three rings recently done for fellow artist, Barbara Banducci.

Mike, I'd like to try the black tile idea and am searching for one at least 12" square.

On-line shops for crafts seem to be going towards the "catalog" look with pure white backgrounds for the objects. Easier than gradients in some ways, more challenging in others.... depending on what is being photographed.

Carol

Old 2008-12-24, 10:24am
birdergirl ~o~

Carol!
Thanks for sharing all that great info!!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-12-24, 7:44pm

Carol, I found my high gloss black tiles at Home Depot.

Here is a shot with a front surface mirror that I did. It was a bear keeping the dust off of it (I still had to do dust spotting in Photoshop). You have to be careful with front surface mirrors so you don't scratch them. I clean mine with a micro fiber cloth.

I looked for some I did on the black tile after I used car wax on it. I did some water drops and I can't find those or the ones I did some glass on that I didn't crop it so tight you can't tell it's a black tile under it.

Another trick that I've not tried yet, but I read about is to take a cookie sheet (the kind with a lip around it), put a black cloth in it (like you would foil) and fill it with water. Then adjust your lights so that the top looks just like a mirror. I've seen pictures of this and it works. If you put your beads, marbles or glass on something that is either just underneath the water or above it a bit, you should get a good reflection from the water's surface. I've been wanting to try this but haven't yet.

Mike