Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-04-12, 9:07pm

Default .NEF VS .NEF (or Nikon vs. Nero)

Okay all you camera/computer guru's, here's my dilemma: I have a Nikon D70S. Love the camera. I took a bunch of photos in the RAW format, downloaded them to my computer, but my damned Nero file snagged the images and turned them into .nef (Nero Encrypted Files) instead of allowing to remain .nef (Nikon Electronic Format). What a pain in the patootie this has been! I can't open the images in Photoshop. And just who let there be two file extensions with the same abbreviation???

I ended up downloading a trial version of Nikon Capture and I can open the files. No problem. So, thinking I was so damned smart , I did a batch process to make a copy of my images (125 of them) and save them as .tif files. I know I can open .tif in PS!

Okay. Did that, and no problem there. Except for one little thing. They're still encrypted! I can open them in Capture, but I want my Photoshop (banging fists and feet on floor in exhibition of a full blown temper tantrum!).

Short of uninstalling Nero, is there a solution?? Capture might be fine for digital imaging. I don't know. I want my Photoshop, though!!! Please, please, please - someone out there, please say you know what the problem is and know how to fix it!!! (... and will tell me how to fix it, too!!)

Thanks!!!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-04-12, 9:32pm
Out of the biz

When you say you can't open them in Photoshop, what do you mean, exactly? It sounds like the .nef file extension is associated with Nero, but that shouldn't actually change the format of the file, just how your computer recognizes it. Can you open it from within Photoshop using the File>Open menu? I've had this happen before, but the files themselves weren't changed, just how I had to access them.
Old 2007-04-12, 9:40pm

Just for yucks, download a piece of software called Irfanview. I recently got a Nikon D40, and the software that came with it just locks up everytime I try to start it up. Lo and behold, Irfanview works just fine.

Just go to irfanview.com, download and install the base package and the plugins package and give it a try.

It's an extremely small, quick, and powerful image program. I've been using it for years to do simple editing for web stuff and making thimbnails and slideshows. It's no replacement for the big boys, but what it does it does quite well, and it will open just about any file out there. The secret is to set the filetype filter on loading an image to "any file type".
Old 2007-04-13, 11:22am

Sam & John ~ thanks so much for responding!!

Sam, when I try to open the .nef file, I get the following message window: Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document. I get this if opening from within PS, or not. Also, .nef is Nikon's file extension for their RAW images.

John, thanks for the link! That seems like a pretty good program. Only problem is that it is read-only for .nef files. Tiff's and jpeg's are no problem, however.

I've found that not only can I open these in Capture, but Capture can then send them to PS to open there. Problem solved? Sort of. Once Capture sends the picture to PS, I can perform a Save As and save it with a .tif extension and all seems to be okay for the copy to be subsequently opened in PS. The original image - nope. I guess I can live with this for a while... I just need to keep Nero from getting its grubby paws on my images!

Additionally, I just read that images taken through Capture 4 (the images go straight to the computer, bypassing the camera) can only be opened in Capture. Geez! Well, if I can only figure out how to keep Nero away, I guess I'll be ready to go! I know! I'll Capture Nero!!! lol.

Again, thanks!!! (and John, give my best to Tink! I hope she's getting plenty of R&R.)

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Renee; 2007-04-13 at 11:29am. Reason: more info
Old 2007-04-13, 11:55am

I had a problem with some programs not opening my .nef (Nikon RAW) files and found that I needed to download a patch. Has your version of PS opened your Nikon RAW files before? Maybe it's actually the Nikon files that it can't open. Paint Shop Pro couldn't open them until I downloaded a patch - all of these programs keep releasing patches as new proprietary RAW extensions come along.

Just a thought.......
Old 2007-04-13, 9:38pm

Thanks, Kathy! I did find out that PS, in fact, can not open .nef files. That said, supposedly a plug-in is available when you install their Picture Project software, which I did. No plug-in that I could find. Alas...

... tomorrow's another day!

Thanks for the suggestion, Kathy! I appreciate it!!!!!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2007-04-13, 10:32pm

I don't know wich version of Photoshop you have, but ervery camera has a diffrent way of "writing" down in for example a NEF file. You need to have the lateste plugin for you Photoshop wich will recognise your camera's nef files.

Download the latest camera Raw update (version 3.7) at this page:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

You Nikon capture program has already the right raw plugin, thas why you can open them in that program.

There is also a nice extra to ad to your windows, so you can see all you NEF files in your explorer. It is called "raw viewer" and you can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Hope you can understand my english.

|
Old 2007-04-14, 6:39am

Renee, isn't Picture Project a Nikon software? If you check the Photoshop web site, I'm sure there is somewhere to download patches for RAW files. I got a Nikon D80 and it was too new for many of the software programs to have pathes yet, but I think the D70 was available for most of them. I'm sure Photoshop is on top of that sort of thing.
Old 2007-04-14, 7:53am

cs3 will open NEF when it comes out, you can download the beta now.
another alternative is to look into Lightroom. It will open the files, and it is truly wonderful for processing your raw files. You can download a trial, and it is not too expensive for the next little while. (considering how great it is)
You can do all you want to your raw files there, then export tiffs to photoshop to do the background cleanup, add frames or whatever.

I chose to go with lightroom instead of upgrading photoshop.

also, there are LOTS of tutorials to get you started on Lightroom.
Old 2007-04-14, 8:08pm

Miriam, Kathy, & Jacki - thanks so much for the help!

I took the day off from photographing, and spent all day reading about HTML and CSS! My head's spinning from that, too.

Miriam, I did find the raw viewer the other day, and it works really well. I'll check out that update as soon as I finish here! Thanks for getting me those links!

Kathy, I checked around, but couldn't find anything (most likely because I was looking in the wrong place!). I'm hoping Miriam's link will help. Yes, Picture Project is a Nikon product, but it looks like it's more for casual sharing of images online.

Jacki, actually I have the cs3 beta version, but it won't touch the files. While the raw format is one issue, having Nero hijack my files and make them all Nero Encrypted Files is what's ticking me off to no end! It's not the end of the world, but it's making the process much more difficult and time consuming! I will certainly check out lightroom, too!!! Thanks for telling me about it.

Again, thanks everyone for helping me out. I'm really appreciative!!!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2007-04-14, 8:17pm
In search of her path....

One thing you might try doing....is put your card in your card reader and open your windows explorer to view all the images on that card. Click on one of the images and go to file properties. There will be a box pop up that has a general and summary tab. In the gereral tab there is an area that says Opens With: and then the program name.
You can choose to change the program all those file types open with here. just click the change button and go in and select the program you WANT to open the files and that might fix your problem. No guarantees but its an idea

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-04-14, 11:22pm

If you want Nero to stop being the program to open your NEF files, go to the explorer.
Go to the menu "Extra", ->
choose folderoptions (I have a dutch version of windows, take the last on the list if the name is diffrent), ->
choose tab "filetype" (the last tab), ->
Scroll down to NEF file type, ->
click open with the button "change", ->
surch in the list that opens for Photoshop and save your changes.

Hope this will help.

|
Old 2007-04-18, 12:06am

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions! This has been driving me nuts, but it seems the most reasonable solution, short of uninstalling Nero, is to open the images in Capture, export to Photoshop, then do whatever's got to be done and save it as a tif, or whatever. I did try to change the file association in explorer, but that didn't work.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2007-10-23, 1:47am

I had the exact same thing happen. I tried everything that was mentioned in this thread but nothing works (well I didnt try the round about answer using the nikon program). If I try to open a .nef file it will open it in photoshop but say the same thing "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document." It doesnt work if I open it from within photoshop either. I have the raw plug in for photoshop already as I was able to get it to read the pictures before but now it wont. I have set nero to not open any other extensions but the files is still listed as 'nero encrypted file.' any more ideas?