Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-07, 12:51pm
The Andrea Half

Sigh. It took me forever to FIND Runtime when I had installed it, but now that I have, the program works beautifully and looks lovely. Thank you!!

You said earlier that this did not work as an inventory--in other words, there's no place for the number of pounds. Hmmm. Assuming I can add a field if I use the full version next time I am at the university center, that could be manageable, yes?

Whatever the answer, thank you!!!!! This makes labelling SOO much easier!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-07, 1:10pm
Unmedicated since '62

i'm adding a quantity field to version 1.3 - trouble is do you keep inventory by rods, pounds, kilograms,??? what about frit, grams, ounces? - each supplier uses a different measurement, some use several

i'm tracking mine per rod, but that also has its problems - technically every time you use a rod you should adjust your inventory, will you really do that? i know i wont!

once you start to track inventory you enter into a whole world of complication, thats why i didnt add it to the original version and i've only added it to the new one because several people asked. my original idea was to simply acknowledge that yes, i have this particular colour

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-01-07, 2:40pm

Since you pay for it by weight, I would think the easiest way to calculate a cost of sales would be to inventory it by weight. And you could just label the column "weight" and each person could use their own unit of measure.
Old 2011-01-07, 2:43pm
Can't you see I'm busy???

How about adding a "Units" field and a little table to allow the user to choose the designation? Or, skip the table and let the user interpret units as they wish...

Anyway, thanks for being willing to expand your mission!!
Old 2011-01-07, 2:54pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
Since you pay for it by weight, I would think the easiest way to calculate a cost of sales would be to inventory it by weight. And you could just label the column "weight" and each person could use their own unit of measure.
not all suppliers charge by weight - one of my main suppliers sells by rod, 1/4kg, 1/2kg and kg

i'll add a unit field and let people sort it out for themselves i think

Old 2011-01-07, 3:04pm

That is an awesome program!!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-01-07, 3:14pm
Unmedicated since '62

wait till you see the new version!

Old 2011-01-07, 3:30pm
Unmedicated since '62

with full credit to CIM and the artists beads shown, cos they have the best website when it comes to sample pictures

a sneek peak at the new main page
Attached Images

Old 2011-01-07, 4:09pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Default New Version

WHERE IS IT??
Seriously, I got MS Office Pro for Christmas and would love to dig into my StashMaster just for fun. But I will retain the original for real use. Any clue when the 1.3 will be released?
BTW - did you get enough support to get that Oxycon; sure hope so. Again thanks from all of us users.
PJH
Old 2011-01-07, 4:15pm
The Andrea Half

I'd add unit weight in ounces, myself; that's what I use in my Open Office Calc spreadsheet. I have one column for ounces at the beginning of the year, one column for ounces at the end of the year, one column for total ounces purchased, and one column for the amount used. I use ounces because I rarely buy more than a pound at a time, so my remainder is most often less than a quarter pound.

So it might look like this:

GLASS PRICE/lb JAN10 BOUGHT JAN11 USED2010 VALUE

EDP 256 55.00 5.0 12.3 11.4 5.9 39.18

My formulae calculate everything. All I have to do is to remember to update the amount bought when I buy it, and then weigh the glass at the beginning of the year. If I bought a quarter pound of EDP in January and another quarter pound in July, I would have 8.0 as my total ounces for the year.

You could do it in pounds, too; my little scale uses ounces, that's all, and it was easier writing the formulae that always doing conversions in my head (Yeah, I should just write the formulae to convert for me!)

The new page looks great, by the way, Deb. Thank you for all your hard work!

Old 2011-01-07, 4:29pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
WHERE IS IT??
Seriously, I got MS Office Pro for Christmas and would love to dig into my StashMaster just for fun. But I will retain the original for real use. Any clue when the 1.3 will be released?
BTW - did you get enough support to get that Oxycon; sure hope so. Again thanks from all of us users.
PJH
not quite but i got lots of christmas money so i'm getting there

i'll send you 1.3 to test in a couple of days - i'm trying to figure a way to import data from the old one to the new one automatically for the peeps using runtime, trouble is i never included an export from 1.2 so i'm slightly stumped right now

Old 2011-01-07, 4:39pm
Bead Obsessed

I've played with it a few times now and it is really an awesome program. These changes seem to really great as well. I would vote for measurement in ounces or pounds, you can put in .25 for 4 ounces or a 1/4 pound if you were to make it pounds but I think ounces is easier.

Old 2011-01-07, 4:44pm
Unmedicated since '62

it would be just as easy to give you a choice of oz, pounds, kg, grams, rods, whatever - then you just choose the method, you could even have different ones for each item cos we're not calculating any totals here - so even bags (for frit) whatever

Old 2011-01-07, 5:26pm
Unmedicated since '62

keeping in mind you can use this app to keep track of anything - ie, cz's, ear wires, silver wire, spacer beads etc - how are these for units of measure?

pounds
ounces
grams
kilograms
bag
box
jar
rod
each
dozen
pair
gross
metric shit tonne
meter
millimeter
centimeter

Old 2011-01-07, 10:02pm
It's all about the color.

See message in the Bathroom.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2011-01-07, 10:30pm
Unmedicated since '62

hey, Corri put a sticky on us! - thanks

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2011-01-07 at 10:37pm.
Old 2011-01-08, 7:15am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
metric shit tonne
lol!

--
--
--

Old 2011-01-08, 11:24am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Love the metric shit tonne

1 metric shit tonne = 4 crap loads = 2.76 hand fulls = 11.7 dippers = ???

Happy to try it out.
PJH
Old 2011-01-08, 12:27pm
Unmedicated since '62

metric shit tonne - that moment when you realise that the glass looks nothing like the gorgeous paddle on the web and maybe you shouldnt be ordering glass after three glasses of red and why the hell did you order multiple pounds...

Old 2011-01-08, 1:20pm

2008 Office for Mac doesn't so I doubt 2011 does... I have the database in my email, but I haven't used it as my personal laptop is a Mac... My only Access that I have is on my Parallels program and it is 2007.. the file will not open within it..

Deb, would you be willing to share the tables you used, so that I as a Mac user could possibly create something for us Apple people?

Darlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBeth View Post
Does anyone know if MS Office 2011 for mac has Access 2010? I want to be sure before I buy it as I can't find just Access 2010 for mac anywhere and I know noting about parallels, etc. I have a mac OSX.

E-Bay:

Old 2011-01-08, 1:40pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonfyre View Post
2008 Office for Mac doesn't so I doubt 2011 does... I have the database in my email, but I haven't used it as my personal laptop is a Mac... My only Access that I have is on my Parallels program and it is 2007.. the file will not open within it..

Deb, would you be willing to share the tables you used, so that I as a Mac user could possibly create something for us Apple people?

Darlene
absolutly!

how do you want them? excel tables ok?

Old 2011-01-08, 11:38pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Personally I track inventory more as an ordering thing. I look at my storage and if a color looks like it's getting low I update the list. Or I print a list now and again if I have a bit of spare glass money so I can look it over and decide if I would rather get more of a specific color or get a 'new' color. I can't say I use enough at my work rate to need a 'real' inventory...mostly just a list of what I have. That's why I like the 'wish list' feature.
I think the quantity column is a great way to both give choises and standardize the 'label' of items in the field.
BTW, do you use the form wizzard, auto form or build your own?
Old 2011-01-09, 12:30am
Unmedicated since '62

i start with the form wizard and then i play with it - using the wizard is an easy way to set up the control source for all the fields without mucking about too much

Old 2011-01-09, 7:36am

That would be awesome!! Send it to the email addy listed below in my signature.

Darlene

Quote:
absolutly!

how do you want them? excel tables ok?

E-Bay:

Last edited by pendragonfyre; 2011-01-09 at 7:00pm. Reason: added email addy
Old 2011-01-09, 8:09am

I made myself some beautiful labels with this!

Deb, when you put out an updated version, do we need to save our stash table and reimport it?
Old 2011-01-09, 11:45am
maybe tomorrow

I hope I haven't already asked this (my memory is terribe!).

I've just recently received a glass order that needs labels, and realized that for some glasses that vary from batch to batch (silver glass, handpulled colors, etc.), I usually print the batch date or date that I received the glass on the label.

Will there be a field that we can change each time to print the date? I looked, but don't know if I just missed it.

Also, I haven't tried to print anything yet, but when we export to print, since we may not always print an entire sheet at a time, is there a way to tell it where on the sheet to start?

I hope these questions haven't already been addressed, and I just missed them.

Old 2011-01-09, 1:22pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
I made myself some beautiful labels with this!

Deb, when you put out an updated version, do we need to save our stash table and reimport it?
thats the problem i'm trying to solve at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Lutman View Post
I hope I haven't already asked this (my memory is terribe!).

I've just recently received a glass order that needs labels, and realized that for some glasses that vary from batch to batch (silver glass, handpulled colors, etc.), I usually print the batch date or date that I received the glass on the label.

Will there be a field that we can change each time to print the date? I looked, but don't know if I just missed it.

Also, I haven't tried to print anything yet, but when we export to print, since we may not always print an entire sheet at a time, is there a way to tell it where on the sheet to start?

I hope these questions haven't already been addressed, and I just missed them.
the easiest way to add a date is to add it to the excel sheet when you export, just add another column and put =now() in the field for every record, right click on the field and format the date however you want it to print

the second question is a bit harder - you might need to fiddle with your merge a bit to fix that - add some blank records at the beginning

Old 2011-01-09, 1:45pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
thats the problem i'm trying to solve at the moment

the easiest way to add a date is to add it to the excel sheet when you export, just add another column and put =now() in the field for every record, right click on the field and format the date however you want it to print

the second question is a bit harder - you might need to fiddle with your merge a bit to fix that - add some blank records at the beginning
OK. Thanks!

Old 2011-01-09, 1:50pm
maybe tomorrow

Thinking about it a bit more, and I'll try to create a "blank" item. That way I can "print" out however many I need of it to get to the first printable label.

Old 2011-01-09, 1:55pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Lutman View Post
Thinking about it a bit more, and I'll try to create a "blank" item. That way I can "print" out however many I need of it to get to the first printable label.
perfect!!