LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2011-09-05, 5:47pm
Loving learning

Those are so beautiful! I wish I could watch you, and see how to make them bloom so prettily. I was looking at the ones I just got (thanks for being so fast) and telling them to please be nice & strike for me, LOL.
Old 2011-09-05, 6:00pm
Tweedle Dumb

Ohh, Eileen, you'll get it. Remember I learned how to make them completely on accident, and I've been making them for over a year now. I've had lots of practice. It will come to you, just give it time.

I'll have to see if I can find a person to record my process, maybe a youtube video or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2011-09-05, 9:43pm
Loving learning

I think I get the process intellectually, but don't quite understand what I should be seeing as the glass gets to the various stages. I know I need to PPP and try different things, but I'm so stingy with the "good stuff", LOL!
Old 2011-09-05, 9:45pm
Loving learning

Example: when I read that I should be seeing the glass turn colors, do I see it through my glasses, or peek at it outside the flame without the glasses? And is it obvious that it is turning purples, blues, etc. or do I have to cool it down to see what color?
That's the kind of thing I wish I could take a class & watch it with someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 2011-09-05, 9:55pm
Nikki Haverstock

Wonderful murrini and tut. I got a chance to try it and got lovely results even though I have only used murrini once or twice before. I will try to get a picture soon.

Old 2011-09-05, 10:34pm
Unmedicated since '62

ugh...now...must...go...buy...more...murrini (dragging self away from computer- failing)

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-09-06, 5:02am
Tweedle Dumb

Eileen, maybe try just a spot of striking silver glass instead of the murrini? You can practice the gravity swirl with just a dot, they will turn out like the first beads that Amy and I posted. That way you can practice the swirl part, and the striking part before you use up the murrini.

You should be able to see the colors turn, even with your glasses on. It usually goes to amber first then purple, then the blue. More (good) colors come up in the kiln. (at least for me, I anneal at 950). I can already see you are applying them correctly from your first post, now you just have to heat the living SH** out of it to get them to move and to set them up to strike. I really do mean heat it up good. Don't be shy, way out in the flame, stick it in there HOT and let it roll around.

Nikki, can't wait to see what you got!

Thanks Deb!

Last edited by jamie lynne; 2011-09-06 at 5:27am.
Old 2011-09-06, 7:50am
Loving learning

GMTA, I just used some Aion by itself yesterday to see if I could strike it. Don't want to derail the thread from your yummy murrini, so will post a question elsewhere, thanks Jamie Lynne!
Old 2011-09-06, 7:55am
Tweedle Dumb

You aren't de-railing. I want to help if I can. The Aion won't strike, but you should still be able to practice the swirl part. Do you need some striking glass? I have a few shorts that I can send you to practice with.

Old 2011-09-06, 10:32am
Loving learning

Thank you, you're so sweet, but I bought some Aion and some Luna (haven't tried that yet) from the 2nds on the DH site. (forgot to say I have some pieces I got in the RBOG that I'm hoarding too, LOL, not enough to waste!)
I did get a little color from the Aion a few times, but maybe that was from reducing it? I'm so confussed! LOL

This shows some of the good color, and some of the yuck. I don't know if I was going too far, or not far enough. I could see the glass shifting to a "web" look as I heated it, I think during the 1st heating, but I wasn't feeling to great so I'm not sure now.
Oh, this is a black base, with Aion put on top and melted in.

this shows the webbing better, and now I'm thinking that that is what I need to have on the whole thing? Do all the DH glasses do the webbing thing?

Last edited by Eileen; 2011-09-06 at 10:39am.
Old 2011-09-06, 12:24pm
Tweedle Dumb

Hey cool! You got some really nice webbing on that bead. A lot of the DH reduction colors will do that, I've only stumbled upon a few that didn't want to do it... one was Cilo... but I've beaten that one into submission with a few tricks as well.

The colors you got were probably from reduction, since Aion is a reducton glass. It is a very nice looking bead.

Striking is heat/cool/reheat, reduction it heat/cool/reduce in a propane rich flame (or sometimes neutral if you are working with Terra 2, Cilo, Kalyspo, Triton, Aurae.... Those go silvery with a neutral flame)

Old 2011-09-06, 12:32pm
Nikki Haverstock

Wow Jamie, that was very helpful! I now know why I might be struggling with Clio.

Old 2011-09-06, 12:35pm
Loving learning

Don't laugh, but I was hedging my bets.
Heated a lot, cooled (but forgot to try to hurry that), heated, cooled a few times, then added propane & heated the last time, LOL.

Oh, and of course the bead being much smaller than the picture, the tan is the dominant thing you see
Old 2011-09-06, 4:05pm
Tweedle Dumb

Cilo was a real challenge for me at first, then it *clicked* when I made a failed attempt at a bead roller cilo bead. Using the bead roller forced me to work cooler, or you end up with a dinged/dented bead. After that ahhh haaa moment it has been much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
Wow Jamie, that was very helpful! I now know why I might be struggling with Clio.

Last edited by jamie lynne; 2011-09-06 at 5:07pm.
Old 2011-09-06, 4:06pm
Tweedle Dumb

Tan isn't bad. A lot of people on here make lots of $$ making tan beads. Tan goes with everything. It's an easy sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Don't laugh, but I was hedging my bets.
Heated a lot, cooled (but forgot to try to hurry that), heated, cooled a few times, then added propane & heated the last time, LOL.

Oh, and of course the bead being much smaller than the picture, the tan is the dominant thing you see

Old 2011-09-06, 4:17pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
They are ready to go. Here are some beads from the newest batch.

ZOMG those are amazing!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-09-06, 4:39pm
Tweedle Dumb

That means a lot coming from the murrini queen. Thanks Lori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
ZOMG those are amazing!

Old 2011-09-06, 5:23pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
That means a lot coming from the murrini queen. Thanks Lori!
Oh peeeeshaw. But, thank you.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-09-06, 6:38pm
Unmedicated since '62

so what did i buy? 60 chips - yeah that should be enough to f#$% up completely and then i'll throw myself off a cliff

i cant even get orange to strike properly and i just bought a heap of striking glass murrini - what is wrong with me??!!!

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-09-06, 6:41pm
Loving learning

Hee, hee, I bought 2 bags too, and I think we're going to do beautiful things with it!
(I think I can, I think I can, I think I can she chants)
Old 2011-09-06, 6:43pm
Tweedle Dumb

You'll get it. You have 60+ to practice with. Try with just a dot of striking silver glass first if you aren't feeling too confident. You can DO IT! Try to kill it with your flame. They really like to be baked. That's how I accidentally gravity swirled them the first time. I couldn't get them to strike, I got pissed, I really let the bead have it and they got all distorted. I cussed up a storm, but decided to strike it anyway and BAM. I found these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
so what did i buy? 60 chips - yeah that should be enough to f#$% up completely and then i'll throw myself off a cliff

i cant even get orange to strike properly and i just bought a heap of striking glass murrini - what is wrong with me??!!!

Old 2011-09-06, 8:31pm
Loving learning

You're inspiring me. I think I'll try with just one murrini per bead until I get it though, LOL.
Old 2011-09-07, 4:03am
Resident hippie

I ordered 60 too. What's with the 60 folks? Why can't we be happy with just 30? Because Jamie makes them look so dang fantastic. . .

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-09-07, 9:55am
Loving learning

And we don't want to find out how gorgeous they are just to go back & find out they're all gone!
Old 2011-09-07, 10:20am
Tweedle Dumb

Did you see what Lisa made using them normal? It is beautiful! So you don't HAVE to use this technique, they work as regular murrini too!

Here is a link to her bead on Etsy. I wish I had some extra $$, it would be mine.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/81276859/love-is-in-the-air

Old 2011-09-07, 10:22am
Loving learning

!!!!!!!!!!!

My eyes are having trouble getting back in my head, that is g o r g e o u s !!!!
Old 2011-09-08, 4:45pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Jamie Lynne I just ordered some murrini and I'm sending a big thank you for the generosity of the info. I have no doubt these sell well for you...they are porntastic. i can't wait to try them
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-09-11, 8:26pm
Life is change. Love it

Do you really have to make BHB? Because I don't, and would like to try these.

Old 2011-09-11, 8:34pm
Tweedle Dumb

Carolyn, They don't seem to slip around the mandrel the same way on a smaller mandrel. I really haven't figured out why, maybe it's just me.

Old 2011-09-11, 9:14pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Tomorrow is the day for me to try this! Got the murrinis, got plenty of propane, oxycon is working great, watch out torch! Here I come!

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.