Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-04-10, 2:19pm

Default $300 budget

I just came into $300 for a camera. Anyone got any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2008-04-10, 5:30pm

Ebay, used. Still can get GREAT cameras for bead photos for that money. Look for Nikon or used Canons. Like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=015

That is a great deal right there. Lenses are relatively cheap too.

Old 2008-04-11, 2:45pm

Thanks, I just needed a push in the right direction. I looked on Ebay but there's so many I didn't know what to look for.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2008-04-11, 2:55pm

Ok just had a duh moment! Why don't I just buy a lens for my current camera? But I don't know what kind of lens I need for taking close ups of beads.
I currently have a Kodak EasyShare Z650. When I do a search for lenses for this all kinds of lenses come up. How do I know what I need?

Old 2008-04-11, 4:00pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I don't think your camera uses interchangeable lenses, does it?

It seems to me you should be able to use that camera to take bead pics. Have you tried using the "close-up" setting on it?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-04-11, 4:41pm

Go take a look at http://pictureline.com/ I made arrangements with them to test their cameras for the bead community. So any camera, any price range that they carry. I'll test for you. And I give you a honest break down on the good, the bad and ugly.

Here's a link to a thread I started a few weeks ago. For more info. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=85101
Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2008-04-11 at 4:46pm.
Old 2008-04-11, 5:18pm

Thanks Scott. I'll check out the links.

Old 2008-04-11, 5:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I don't think your camera uses interchangeable lenses, does it?

It seems to me you should be able to use that camera to take bead pics. Have you tried using the "close-up" setting on it?

I can't seem to get the details everyone else gets. I get so close and then it gets blurry. Here are a couple examples. This is as close as I can get to the bead.
Attached Images

Old 2008-04-11, 5:59pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Are those pics on the close-up setting? A close up setting is likely under a manual mode. Another thing that some people do is use a regular mode, but use a high resolution and then crop the pic so it zooms on the bead. You get better depth of field that way than macro also.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-04-11, 6:06pm

I've got it set to what is called "close up" setting-less than 28". I'm holding the camera almost touching the bead. I've tried holding it back further and zooming in but it goes blurry.

Old 2008-04-11, 6:08pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would try holding it about a foot away so you get a good focus and then cropping your pic.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-04-11, 6:16pm

So, a foot away, zoom, then crop-with camera or in photoshop?

Old 2008-04-11, 6:19pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Yup - and use a good high resolution, which shouldn't be a problem with your camera as it has a good high pixel count. Set the pic quality to the highest or next to highest setting. My camera defaults to "normal" which is the 3rd best setting. The best setting is a TIF file and is HUGE, so I use the second setting to get a nice high res pic.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-04-11, 6:31pm

Mine was set on 5.3-I changed it to 6.0.
Thank you so much Squid. I'm going to play around with some pix tomorrow and see if I can tell a difference.

Old 2008-04-11, 6:47pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

good luck!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-04-12, 9:32am
Broken

I've had four camera's over my beadmaking life. My advice is buy the best you can afford. I justbought a Nikon D70 with a 60mm macro, the macro lens makes all the difference. I think I could have saved myself a lot of hassle had I bought it years ago. My pictures are now bang on if not professional looking most of the time, and it takes WAY less time. A good photo set up ie; tent and lights is important too. I also find life is much easier if you an set up your photo area and leave it setup, less hassle that way.

Old 2008-04-12, 2:58pm
Griffin Park Originals

I've just went to the library on Thursday to grab some books on digital photography. I got 3 books, and all 3 have great suggestions and things to look for in a camera, and recommendations. I wish I'd have thought of doing this before I purchased my camera. Although I do like my camera a lot. Just reading up a bit has helped though.

Old 2008-04-12, 10:21pm

Hello,
I have a Kodak Z712, you need a Macro lens.
Like this http://cgi.ebay.com/MACRO-Close-Up-L...QQcmdZViewItem

And you'll get the detail that you want.

While your on ebay and pick up a photo cube, these are great!
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Photo-Photogr...QQcmdZViewItem

Mike

Last edited by Mike Glass; 2008-04-12 at 10:32pm.
Old 2008-04-13, 9:09pm

Thanks for the links Mike. Great prices.