Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-06, 5:35pm
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
maybe my example is the worst, but one needs to do a search of products in terms of what is negative first, rather what the positives are. that includes customer service big time.
so again can some one point me to the negative threads on the customer service or the product under the name of Regalia? I know there is got to be some people that have problems with the units, its just I can't find any posting or links in regards to that. I like know because I'm research these unit before a possible purchase.
I haven't heard anything negative about the Regalia. UO, LOTS of complaints, Regalia and Kimberly, NONE.
Her units cost more, and very often you get what you pay for.
I have a refurbished oxycon from Paulette--now Kimberly's business--(almost 4 years now) that runs my minor OK. I'll be looking to upgrade within a year, I think.
It seems to me that Kimberly runs a tight ship, perfect customer satisfaction, outstanding units. UO--not so much, a little fly-by-night stuff (bounced checks and poor customer service), and units that may or may not work, either at the beginning or 2 years later.
I would never buy an expensive item from someone who has demonstrated financial insecurity and poor customer service--repeatedly.
I think this particular thread was about Kimberly's scientific findings. I am very interested in the results.

Last edited by moondanse; 2008-06-06 at 5:51pm.
Old 2008-06-06, 6:10pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I am a customer of yours, of GTT, of UO . . . I have NO ulterior motives here, nothing self serving nor any chance of any monetary gain, just to share my experience and post questions on things that are not clear to me. Please don't start accusing members of this community of "digging up old quotes of yours trying to find something to trip you up." Beside, the only way old posts can trip anyone up is when someone is inconsistent.
Well, I have been consistent.

Please don't start accusing members of this community of "digging up old quotes of yours trying to find something to trip you up."

If the shoe fits...

You pulling up my torch consumption data to help Leslie is not what I'm talking about when I said that about you quoting me (I had started to answer you earlier and see that you edited out most of your post).

You pulling up my old quote talking about the M20 "purity issues" and telling me that because of that post, I knew that my machine was a defective is what I'm talking about.

Just so we're clear, here's the post I'm talking about (emphasis yours):

Quote:
Hayley 2008-06-02 3:11pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Cornette (Post 1885012)
Part of the problem I have with your testing is the units you chose to test. You tested what you considered well working Regalia, Integra10, and Invacare machine and posted the results. You then took an OU M-20 that you knew was not functioning up to specs and singled it out as the only failing machine. You knew this faulty machine was going to fail the test to begin with. You further single out this machine by posting only photos of it failing not of the others passing. You seem to single it out with prejudice. I know you state it was a bad machine to begin with but given that why even test it. It appears as though you wanted to single out this company and it makes you results appear biased. It seems to me that for your tests to be unbiased then you should be testing and comparing only machines that are considered to be in working order. If you could not find an OU machine to test in a fair comparison then it should have been left out of the testing until you had access to one.
Originally Posted by kbinkster (Post 1886897)
I tested the machines I have on hand, All of them are performing in the same manner that they did when they were delivered to me. One of them was even a replacement unit for another that was faulty, so you would think that that would be as good as it gets, wouldn’t you? They are all four units that people are using out in the field and are all available, if not in the new market, then on the aftermarket.

I knew that the M-20 I had did not perform to my standards, but I did not know that it was below the specs stated by UO until after I tested it. How could I have known the oxygen concentration and true pressure output without testing? GTT was going by faith that these machines put out what SCC/UO said they were when they bought them.
But you DID know that it was below specs because you posted this on 2007-05-13, 10:01am:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=11

Quote:
Quote:

The M-10 (aka P-10) is the modified Respironics 5 LPM concentrator. UO has tweaked it to put out 5 LPM at 10 psi. The original Respironics unit only put out somewhere around 5.25 psi.

When you look at the specs from Respironics for their units, there is a pressure number listed that is a really high pressure. It's a little misleading because that pressure is not the oxygen output pressure (what would be going to an oxygen patient or a torch in our case). I don't know whether it is the pressure of the exhaust or the pressure of the air compressor, I didn't ask Respironics, but it is not the product output pressure. They told me that pressure was around 5.25.

The M-20 (aka P-20) was the modified Respironics 10 LPM concentrator. UO modified it to put out 10 LPM at 20 psi. There were some purity issues at that output, so UO dialed it down to 8 LPM at 15 psi and now it is called the M-15 or the 1508.

You copying and pasting the initial post of my torch consumption thread - a post that clearly stated that I would be updating it - is another example of what I'm talking about. Why did you copy and paste almost immediately after I posted it (Trey posted a short post between our posts)? Normal people don't do that. Were you hoping that I would be making outrageous claims and then changing them? I don't know what your motives were, but, as one of the most vocal people on this thread against my testing the M-20, I really wonder.
Old 2008-06-06, 6:16pm
Booyarashaka

No comment on my reply Dennis ??? Did I miss another distributor or not?

"Temet Nosce"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-06-06, 6:35pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflameart View Post
No comment on my reply Dennis ??? Did I miss another distributor or not?
I'm confident they figure I'm a sufficiently vociferous spokesperson all they need do is sit back and enjoy watching the transparent efforts of the anti-UO campaign unravel.

I promise that if some feel others are missed, I'll put on an extra effort with both commentary and sales promotion to make up for any deficiency.

Interested in an outstanding deal on a kiln? Got some in stock.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-06-06, 6:36pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
You copying and pasting the initial post of my torch consumption thread - a post that clearly stated that I would be updating it - is another example of what I'm talking about. Why did you copy and paste almost immediately after I posted it (Trey posted a short post between our posts)? Normal people don't do that. Were you hoping that I would be making outrageous claims and then changing them? I don't know what your motives were, but, as one of the most vocal people on this thread against my testing the M-20, I really wonder.
I always copy and paste posts (not just yours but everyone's) in order to highlight what I want to respond to . . . as I am doing now. Guess I am just not the norm.

I didn't get to almost 6000 posts after only being a member at LE for less than two years by being a non-vocal person.

I was your customer and was very satisfy with your customer service. I bought my first oxycon from you and based on your recommendation, purchased a Bobcat from your husband. In addition, you were very kind to help me with my set up and advised me on my ventilation system.

I edited my posts for I just do not want to get into a pissing contest with you. As I said before, I have NOT attacked you personally in any way and do not appreciate your comment.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-06-06, 6:49pm
DSDWC

How's this for customer service.
I talked to Jack at OU on Wed. about my M-20 problem and low and behold today, 48 hours later a stand in machine arrives at my door step.
I plan on sending my M-20 back to him on Monday for him to check out and repair. I bet I have that machine back pretty damn quick based on his response time so far.
Thanks again Jack.
You are the man!!!!

Old 2008-06-06, 7:10pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
You aren't over a target... closing in all ninja like.
I'm not thinking Ninja - more like WWII bomber runs over Europe or in the Pacific arena.

emphasis mine
Quote:
Did you ever think that maybe you're getting resistance to your campaign to make a product, person and company look bad, because they don't deserve it?

Nobody has said the units were awesome out of the gate... but the company has gone above and beyond to make sure even the first customers are taken care of.
The specs of that M-10 that I posted sure looked awesome, and that was "out of the gate."

And, also, I am not runnng a campaign to make anyone look bad. If I were, I certainly would not have qualified my initial post with the acknowledgement that other people have had positive experiences with their machines.

Quote:
Despite all of your best efforts, they are still here... still honoring their warranties and still growing.
My best efforts at what? Telling the truth about my experience with the machines and acknowledging that you say that your's is different? Your quote sounds like you're accusing me of trying to shut them down, or something. That is not my intent, at all. I have no problem with them selling their machines as long as they completely disclose to the buyer what they can really expect out of them. Oh, and you bragging about running your machines outdoors next to a swamp in Florida for two years+ straight without any problems whatsoever is not really doing anyone any good. Look at what Hels posted. Oh, wait a minute, Brent, didn't you say that the only problems any of your customers had were with shipping mishaps?

Quote:
They are always trying to improve their product line and they provide the very best service possible. It's not as fast as I would like it to be. I'd love to place orders for my customers and have them go out quickly... but I'll trade quick for good any day.
That initial 10 LPM/20 psi machine that was debuted at the Louisville Gathering would have been great just the way it was. I mean, seriously, did you see the spec sheet? It's even better than what they now claim the M-15 is.

Quote:
I'm sorry you feel like I'm attacking your morals. From my perspective, it is definitely a thought in my mind that you aren't being straight forward.
I have provided photographs and documentation to back up what I have said. I also have a reputation of being straight-forward. The only reason I can think of for you to not believe me is that you simply do not want to believe me.

But, think of it, Brent. I have been recounting the same events since long before I ever had a concentrator business of my own. What reason would I have had to misrepresent anything regarding my/GTT's experience?

Quote:
I've asked you when you were going to run the 5 week test you devised on your Regalia... that was ignored, like many things have been ignored that don't fit into your plan to smear... I mean gather data. If you're intent is to gather data, you should at least apply all tests equally.
I have no problem whatsoever running my Regalia for five weeks straight. SeQual has run them for much longer than that. Also, you don't hear of Regalia owners having to return their Regalias after less than five months of use.

I did not intentionally ignore you. Like I explained earlier, and as you can see now, I am not keeping pace with this thread as much as I would like to, so I have been going at my own pace and going back to answer important questions as I can. I have a four month old baby who is even more demanding of my attention than you are.

But, as for me not answering you about running the Regalia, well, what's the point, now? Sure, I'll do it, but Jack went back on his word and said that he would not be exchanging out the M-20s for M-15s to be tested and would be refunding the purchase price, instead.

Quote:
The fact is... there are a ton of UO units out there performing flawlessly. I've got a list of happy customers that probably won't see this thread, because they don't care. They are happily melting glass... which is where I should have been able to spend my time, instead of typing out half these replies.
And there are tons of people posting about how happy they are with Jack's customer service after he replaced their UO unit (once, twice, sometimes three times).

Quote:
For me, it's more important that a company handles problems with customers the way jack does, than to be perfect. Especially since he is doing something new for our industry. Something that I needed him to do.
Well, that's your preference, it's not everyone else's. I'm sure Patti Cahill would rather have had her M-10 continue to run than for it to have had to have been replaced. Further, I'm really sure that she did not need the headache of the replacement unit failing after about five months of use at the worst possible time - getting ready for a big show. She emailed Jack three weeks before she posted on a forum about it. It wasn't until he saw it out in public that he responded. It's good that he is going to take care of it, but it would have been better if it had not failed in the first place.

Quote:
Thanks for stepping up to the plate Jack and making a concentrator that I can use for boro work and that runs my Cuda better than any other unit available for less than $4,000! You have my support and just keep doing what you're doing.
Hey Jack, maybe you could bring back that original unit you had. You know, the one with the awesome purity. It was definitely a winner! Heck, I was the first person on any of the forums to ever post about it. You can find my enthusiastic report about it on WC!, even.
Old 2008-06-06, 7:17pm
Don't be a zombie...

This thread has gotten ridiculous and making alot of people look silly in my opinion. I bet i'm not the only one that is thinking this. I don't single out anyone in these remarks i'm including everyone. I'm nobody of course so continue on pushing away customers due to ugly attitudes.

Toby
Old 2008-06-06, 7:36pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
I always copy and paste posts (not just yours but everyone's) in order to highlight what I want to respond to . . . as I am doing now. Guess I am just not the norm.

I didn't get to almost 6000 posts after only being a member at LE for less than two years by being a non-vocal person.

I was your customer and was very satisfy with your customer service. I bought my first oxycon from you and based on your recommendation, purchased a Bobcat from your husband. In addition, you were very kind to help me with my set up and advised me on my ventilation system.

I edited my posts for I just do not want to get into a pissing contest with you. As I said before, I have NOT attacked you personally in any way and do not appreciate your comment.
Well, Hayley, I did not appreciate your pulling up an old post of mine in an effort to make it look like I had contradicted myself (when in fact I had not). I also did not appreciate you following me over to the other thread and posting the way you did. But, hey, of you say that it was not your intention to try to catch me making some kind of contradiction with that particular post, then great.

I'm sorry that we are having a disagreement.
Old 2008-06-06, 7:51pm
Broken

Just wondering if anyone has tried the new unit you can fill your oxy tanks from? I am at a loss for the name of it, I'd really be interested if anyone has used it. I think it was called a EX-2000?

Old 2008-06-06, 8:08pm
PyronamixK

Smutboy knows more about the tank fill units than I do. He has posted about the Rix Microboost over on th GLDG.
Old 2008-06-06, 9:52pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post
I'm confident they figure I'm a sufficiently vociferous spokesperson all they need do is sit back and enjoy watching the transparent efforts of the anti-UO campaign unravel.

I promise that if some feel others are missed, I'll put on an extra effort with both commentary and sales promotion to make up for any deficiency.

Campaign? I started this thread to kick off a project to give the glass community data about units out in the field. I'm sorry that the UO unit I have did not perform well, but Jack sent it to GTT for them to test, and testing the purity/flow/pressure is part of the testing. We did not have an oxygen analyzer until very recently. I sure wish we had it sooner.

I realise that a couple of posters have a problem with me testing that machine; but let me assert, again, that it was fair to test that machine.
  1. As far as I knew, this machine was in working order, performing to the specs of the manufacturer. I thought that 89 +/-4% was low purity, but I did not know that the purity of this machine was lower than the UO specs for it until I tested it with an oxygen analyzer. How else could I have known that it was as low as it was without one?
  2. The manufacturer wanted this machine to be tested/evaluated. If UO sent it to us to be tested, then it is fair to test it.
  3. Although this machine is no longer being sold as a new unit, it is still in service. In fact, UO's largest distributor is using his two M-20s to sell the M-15s.
  4. It's just a concentrator - I don't have any bad feelings towards it, the poor thing. It was not singled out. It was not my fault that out of the four concentrators that I have here with me, it was the only one not delivering what was promised. To have not included the poor test results for that machine would have been dishonest.

Had the results been positive for that machine, would there have been this much protest from you, Dennis? Would you have said that including data for that machine was useless, since it was no longer in production? Of course not! I have never seen you tell Brent that his evaluation of his machines is irrelevant because these units that are no longer in production.

There is no Anti-UO campaign. If anything, there is a campaign to throw this thread off track and keep me from completing my task.

Oh, and Dennis, I am sure that anyone looking to buy a kiln from you will be relieved to know that you actually have them in stock.
Old 2008-06-06, 9:52pm
PyronamixK

I have tested two more machines and will post the results in another thread and elsewhere.
Old 2008-06-06, 9:59pm

"Oh, and Dennis, I am sure that anyone looking to buy a kiln from you will be relieved to know that you actually have them in stock."

now thats is funny

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-06-06, 10:01pm
da General

Quote:
Well, Hayley, I did not appreciate your pulling up an old post of mine in an effort to make it look like I had contradicted myself (when in fact I had not). I also did not appreciate you following me over to the other thread and posting the way you did. But, hey, of you say that it was not your intention to try to catch me making some kind of contradiction with that particular post, then great.

I'm sorry that we are having a disagreement.
I guess your problem is that I quote you before replying? It just makes it easier for me to see and gather my thoughts (as I am doing now).

I am sorry you misunderstood and your apology is accepted.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-06-06, 10:06pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
I guess your problem is that I quote you before replying? It just makes it easier for me to see and gather my thoughts (as I am doing now).

I am sorry you misunderstood and your apology is accepted.
I understand quoting as a way to organize a post, that's not the problem.

I apologize for taking your intentions the wrong way. You posted amidst posts from Dennis and Brent and it felt like you were part of the pack.
Old 2008-06-07, 1:28am
boro color bender

I'll post this in the quick reply section so as I don't get chewed out for quoting the quote queen...

Kimberly, My story about the conditions I've run my concentrators in for over the last two years would only be relevant to people who know what damages a sieve bed in a concentrator. Humidity (swamp in central Florida) and dirt / dust (my filthy studio) are two notoriously bad things to expose an oxycon to. I hope it makes sense to you now. Have a wonderful weekend. I'll be checking in, but not participating in this thread much. It's gone beyond silly.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-06-07, 8:51am
Broken

Quote:
Smutboy knows more about the tank fill units than I do. He has posted about the Rix Microboost over on th GLDG.
Well darn it I was hoping someone here would have tried them or know about them.

Old 2008-06-07, 1:58pm
Booyarashaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post

Nah, but thanks, I'm smart enough to read reviews. As far as everyone saying it's a silly thread or people driving people away by talking about it your right, 3/4 of the thread is old wounds but 1/4 of it has some real important information.

Kim maybe talk to Corri and if she feels the MAIN subject of this thread is viable she'll ditch this one and let you start from scratch. Looking forward to reading all the results.

"Temet Nosce"

Old 2008-06-07, 3:42pm
sorcerer

I have watched and read this thread with interest, I am not an OU customer but use another brand. I will say that I find Kimberly's efforts praiseworthy, some one should do a survey of the Oxygen machines, preferably a disinterested party
'marketing' is such an art these days. With a competitive market you will always get argument amongst the dealers as to which machine works best and always get exaggerated claims. Perhaps someone else could get off their butt and do another set of tests. just remember to open up a "can of worms" you must first "have" a can of worms.
Bernard
Old 2008-06-07, 5:26pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway View Post
I have watched and read this thread with interest, I am not an OU customer but use another brand. I will say that I find Kimberly's efforts praiseworthy, some one should do a survey of the Oxygen machines, preferably a disinterested party
'marketing' is such an art these days. With a competitive market you will always get argument amongst the dealers as to which machine works best and always get exaggerated claims. Perhaps someone else could get off their butt and do another set of tests. just remember to open up a "can of worms" you must first "have" a can of worms.
Bernard
With so many people using the OxyCons for medical reasons, plus, all us lampworkers, maybe we could get Consumer Reports (Choice Magazine Bernard) to do a review.

Old 2008-06-10, 12:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
Quote:
Well darn it I was hoping someone here would have tried them or know about them.
The the concept of a micro boost Does sound apealing at first glance. But in less some one had a reason to need the o2 in a 3,500psi tank for taking o2 off site I may have some advantages.

But they are not made to fill completely empty tanks and one meant to top off a partially used tank. and run a few hours a day. Every so many hours of use they need a rebuild. the rix micro boosts is designed for scuba divers to top of tanks from tanks that are less then full. they in no way are or ever were designed to run all day every day.

In less some one has a valid reason to need there o2 at 3,500 psi You could spend the money to buy a full sized generator were pressure is not an issue or lake of o2. another thing is the rix uses a lot of electric to run it. So all it does is make your self generated o2 become expensive again.
Plus it can only pump the o2 as fast as you can make it. So if its taking the o2 from a 5 lpm medical concentrator the fastest it can pump the o2 is 5 lmp.
So your generator and the booster have to run all day and night to fill a small tank.

one would be much better off with a generator that just makes a few tanks worth of o2 per work day and use it when you are working.

For instance a onsite pro4 makes a K tanks worth of o2 ever 6 hours. and no running a second compressor to re compress the o2 and no having to wait 24 hours for it to make enough o2 to fill a tank.

Some one recently figured out it was costing him over $5 per K tank to use a rix and an og20 to make a tank of o2. instead of $2
So the 5 grand he spent on the rix could of just bought him a reg generator. that just gives him what he needs right out of the gate.

Now were one of these would be good to have is if you do a lot of out of the studio work and need to take a tank with you.
Then paying $5 to fill a tank up with $2 worth of o2 rather then spending $25 or more from an o2 supplier.
then it might be worth it.

Old 2008-06-10, 4:29pm

Just getting back from B&B I had to catch up on a week's worth of posts. I am really sorry this thread has taken this direction. I think the proposed project that Kimberly is tackling can be very important data for the beadmaking community. I believe the proposed project as Kimberly has laid it out has the potential for giving us the best information in order to purchase the perfect machine for our particular choice of torch and style of beadmaking.

I keep hearing price thrown around, so I just have to say that price is an important factor in making a decision to buy a particular unit, however it may not be the most important factor to some. Reliability and longevity can be equally important to some people. I was "told" the unit I bought would probably last 40 years at the rate I use it. Okay, I don't really need it to last 40 years as I don't expect it will help me much when I am dead and gone, however it was important enough to me to base my decision on, at least in part. The other part was that it worked well for how I wanted to use it. A new unit is going to cost more than a rehab'ed one. Fact of life. A modified rehab'ed unit, to my mind, would cost more than just a rehab'ed unit and probably less than a new unit. I personally don't see the purpose in comparing $1500 units, although I am sure that information could be extrapolated.

However, I am curious with regard to whether the oxy purity has gone down in my unit in the past 3 years, though I expect not since I don't have problems that would evidence lack of purity, still........ I would be more than happy to pay for the postage and use of Kimberly's testing machine and add my results to the data. I think it is really important to know what a machine is going to do down the road a ways, as well as what it does out of the box. This is the type of information that we all will need to base their decision on which unit will work best for them.

Of all the people in the lampworking community I have met over the years, Kimberly has been one of those who have freely contributed a great deal to the community. I would not expect anyone to loan their equipment to people all over the country without at least asking them to pay postage. Thanks, Kimberly, and I will gladly take you up on your offer.

I think people have a right to know true data on all of our equipment. I think people have a right to post their customer service issues with any company, so long as they have tried to fix the situation through normal courteous means before they post. I do think when people post their complaints, magically their problems seem to get fixed.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-06-11, 2:03am

I've been following this thread since it's beginning and wonder why no mention of EO, the splinter of OU? Are there any test that have been done on these machines? Why the snub? It's getting a little infomercial, IMO. Let's see some data on the EX-15 next to the M-15.
thanks

Kevin
Old 2008-06-11, 10:59am
The Andrea Half

Well, I for one am sorry the thread got so rancorous. I think Kim was providing great information. Yes, it would be nice to have a full range of concentrator information out there, but one has to start with what one has.

I see this info as the START--not the finish--of a great resource for glassworkers, one to which everyone can add information about their machines. So what about makers of the EX-15 doing their tests? Maybe at the Gathering people who sell different concentrators or who have different concentrators can take them head to head? I vote for compiling data

Old 2008-06-11, 11:23am
PyronamixK

Thank you Pam and Andrea.

It is pretty amazing how when some people posted their complaints, their problems were magically and quickly fixed - much more quickly than other people's problems that were not posted in public. So, maybe this thread has already done some good beyond the scope of my project.

Kevin, I hope to have some results on some new EX-15 units very soon. I wasn't snubbing them. I just did not have any here with me to test. And, like Andrea mentioned, what results I have posted thusfar are just the start.

I now have results on a DeVilbiss MC and an M-15. I was just waiting to get a few more results together before posting them because I don't want it to look like I'm singling anyone out.
Old 2008-06-11, 1:46pm
lov'in life!!!

I have a headache from reading this thread! lol It's a LOT to take in. I have two M-15's...one of which is bowing out on me I'm not quite sure what's wrong with it...I just choose to use the other one. It seems to be a pressure matter. It's not putting out as much as my other unit is....I run them both at 8. When I reduce a silver glass, the one that's going on me, seems to put a sooty film over the glass where the other reduces great. Any idea what might be going on?

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Last edited by FlameDancer; 2008-06-11 at 1:49pm.
Old 2008-06-11, 3:17pm

Default Mr. Smiley would you be so kind to perform this test

I thought you missed this post so I will mention it again. I would like to see the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Ol' Boy View Post
would you be so kind as to set your units to the max setting of 10 lpm ,run them for at least 30 minutes and then take and post the photos of your torch flame for comparison. That would a good comparison of flows @ 8lpm vs. 10 lpm running for a period of time. If the purity is is good the flame will remain the same whether you are running it at 8 or 10 psi. If the flame degrades at 10lpm then oxygen purity is the primary suspect.
Old 2008-06-11, 5:46pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameDancer View Post
I have a headache from reading this thread! lol It's a LOT to take in. I have two M-15's...one of which is bowing out on me I'm not quite sure what's wrong with it...I just choose to use the other one. It seems to be a pressure matter. It's not putting out as much as my other unit is....I run them both at 8. When I reduce a silver glass, the one that's going on me, seems to put a sooty film over the glass where the other reduces great. Any idea what might be going on?
Getting a reduction flame is not a challenge with a machine that puts out poor purity because a reduction flame is a flame that needs less oxygen, not more. So, you could have poor purity and still get great reduction effects. It's the colors that require neutral and oxidizing flames that suffer when you have poor purity.

The sooty film you are describing sounds like soot caused by uncombusted/incompletely combusted fuel. Ick.

If you don't mind sharing with us: How long have you had your units? What conditions are you running them in (indoors/garage/basement/outdoors and hot/cold/humid/dry)?
Old 2008-06-11, 6:08pm
lov'in life!!!

Hi Kimberly. The one that I had first by about 2 months, is the one that I am having problems with. It doesn't seem to have as much oomph, as the other one and for some reason, the reduction is, like I said...sooty. The flame is smaller also and has more breathing issues. When I do boro, I don't notice any breathing issues. The "good" concentrator seems to burn hotter.

I use them both indoors, in a controlled heating/air environment. I'm in the south and it's pretty humid here but that shouldn't effect it, with the units being in my house. The first one, I have had for a little over a year and the 2nd one about a year. I usually make beads about 4 times a week...it's my business, not a hobby. They run for about 4-6 hours, sometimes longer, per session. I don't do boro as much so they don't usually run at the same time. I get NO color with boro...drives me nuts. I got more color with my Airsep and my Cairbreeze. It's probably just me though.

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".