Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-05-13, 2:00pm

Default Kiln prices

Hello everyone!
I am currently in a search of a good kiln. My main purpose is bead annealing and maybe ocassional fusing. My top choice is Paragon SC-2, and I found the cheapest I could - on Sundance. But the thing is... I wrote to them in order to find our the shipping cost to Ukraine and if they could write a less of a price on the box(the border fee would kill me) - and the only thing they replied, that they don't do that. No hello or anything, and nothing about shipping cost. And then I wrote almost the same to Mountain glass - and got back a warm and informational letter with everything I needed and some follow-up questions to better fit my order. And now I;m confused. Help?
What also confused me, is how much lower the price is at Sundance. It's only 620$, when everywhere else it's at least 750. Any tips, guys?
Old 2014-05-13, 4:07pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Hi Kisaya,

I can't speak to pricing, but I can help you a bit with the international shipping thing without stepping on toes. These are good kilns, and I have made purchases from Sundance with good service. I also hear good things about Mountain Glass from many.

You could ask both vendors if they work with FedEx. If they do, there is a great rates program that allows us vendors to call a number and get special pricing for times that FedEx needs to fill a spot on a plane. Most of us don't know it exists. I have only known a few months.

FedEx Great Rates

The last few times I called I saved customers between 50 and 70% off the quote over and above my normal account discounts. It is a service that requires you to ship on an exact date that is dictated by FedEx. Normally within 5 days of the call to them. It seems to travel about as fast as it would on a normal shipment, but they do not guarantee the delivery date. (This week we shipped an 8lb package to Australia that originally quoted out to $198. I was able to ship for $98 on the following Monday. The heavier the box, the more savings they can give.)

I would bet UPS has a similar thing, but I am not a customer of theirs.

As far as lowering the value on the customs form, that is a policy most of us will not break. It leaves the vendor and customer stuck if anything happens in route and has to have a claim done. Kilns are a tricky shipping item. It is best to keep the customers purchase protected all the way to the destination. No one wants to take a loss.

Maybe the savings on the shipping will help balance out the import fees. Some countries tax rate on imports both shock and scare me.

Hope it all works out, nothing worse than knowing what you want but a detail is in the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.

Last edited by GLASSFREEK; 2014-05-13 at 4:11pm.