Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-06-22, 7:47pm
aka Deborah Spence

Default What is your favorite Vetrofond Color and Why?

With the loss of Vetrofond as an available glass for us I'm just curious what Vetrofond glass you will miss most and why. I have a little stash left from when I had a public studio and I'm looking forward to playing with it. If anyone has any great Vetrofond color tips I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in Advance!
Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-06-22, 8:05pm
Lampworkaholic!

I love Yellow Ice, it's a beautiful base for silver glass. Love Poppy, love Parrot, love Ocean Green. love Pajama Blue, love Candy Apple. No special tips. They are just great colors to design with.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-06-22, 8:37pm
aka Deborah Spence

Smile

Thanks for the feedback Elizabeth...

I see those are all odd lot colors... do you have any standard colors that did anything cool or different than Effetre standard colors? Or anyone else?

I sold my Poppy and Parrot long ago, never had any Ocean Green but have some of the others and yes, they are cool colors. I didn't know Yellow Ice was good under silvered colors! I'll have to try that.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
I love Yellow Ice, it's a beautiful base for silver glass. Love Poppy, love Parrot, love Ocean Green. love Pajama Blue, love Candy Apple. No special tips. They are just great colors to design with.

Old 2012-06-22, 8:39pm

der...we're losing Vetrofond?????
am I the last to know?
Old 2012-06-22, 9:04pm

Lichen.
Old 2012-06-22, 9:12pm
I like to melt things

I am really going to miss Vetrofond Light Aqua and Vetrofond Light Grass Green. I like both much better than the 'same' colours in Effetre.

I am also sort of beside myself at the prospect of never, ever having any more Yellow Ice, Poppy, Rhubarb, Frog Pond, Lemongrass, Seashell Swirl, Pink #3, River Rock, Key Lime or Bloody Mary.

I don't really understand the big fuss about Vetrofond Ivory. I like Effetre better, except for in florals. Weird, right? I do really like the translucent batch of Vetrofond Ivory though, and I'm sad that I will never have any more of it.

-
-
Old 2012-06-22, 9:34pm
aka Deborah Spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
der...we're losing Vetrofond?????
am I the last to know?
That's "the word" - I asked Mike Frantz directly quite awhile back and at that time he was still planning on ordering more... but I keep hearing it's no more. There is a good thread on here somewhere that explains that Vetrofond only produces their colors in 9-10mm rods and Mike had special ordered all the 5-6mm rods and that means ordering thousands of pounds of glass. Pretty big investment. I do recall hearing lots of complaints when a color did come in the large rod size only so maybe Mike doesn't feel there is a market for the large rods in the U.S?

Vetrofond has produced some great odd lot colors...

Thanks Melanie for all the input! Brenda... Frantz still has Lichen for sale http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....keyword=lichen What do you like about Lichen?

Thanks!
Deb

Old 2012-06-22, 10:01pm

Verde Muschio. The most amazing shade of green, it's like real jade.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-06-23, 6:17am

I'll miss Vetro Pale Emerald Green. I looooooove the color. It's great for encasing goldstone, looks fabulous etched, it's a bright cheery trans green. The Effetre version is more blue. I'll miss the light and pale aquas too. Sigh.

Old 2012-06-23, 7:25am
Ready to hit the road

Honey Crunch! I love the way it reacts to silver glasses.

Old 2012-06-23, 8:04am
Lampworkaholic!

There is talk about some of the recipes being produced by another company, beginning with the clear which Mike said he will have for sale soon.

Melanie - did you mean light aqua or light turquoise? Just curious because I can't tell much difference.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2012-06-23 at 8:07am.
Old 2012-06-23, 9:03am
I like to melt things

I meant Light Aqua... I find that it doesn't pit and spark like the Effetre one does, and the colour of it is just slightly nicer to me.

I haven't melted any Verde Muschio yet... I hope I don't fall in love with that one too!

-
-
Old 2012-06-23, 9:59am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Dark amethyst - melts like butter, smooth and wonderful to work with.
Old 2012-06-23, 11:01am
uncouthful cats

Painted Desert, Light Grass Green, Lemon Meringue, River Rock, Moon Rock

Painted Desert, River Rock & Moon Rock because of their lovely earthy organic colors & effects.

Light Grass Green because it is such a gorgeous color.

Lemon Meringue because it's so darned hard to find a pale yellow.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2012-06-23, 11:22am
I like to melt things

The weirdest thing about Vetrofond Light Grass Green is it's never the same colour twice. I have three different batches, all slightly different in hue, and love all of them. Consistency is overrated

-
-
Old 2012-06-23, 11:30am
Lampworkaholic!

OK, you got me, now I have to order some of the Light Grass Green and Light Aqua.

Old 2012-06-23, 11:57am

haha sucker
Old 2012-06-23, 12:04pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Verde Muschio is my current favorite. I also like Apricot jam, Seashell swirl, Swamp Moss and Biscotti.

Old 2012-06-23, 1:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
Verde Muschio is my current favorite. I also like Apricot jam, Seashell swirl, Swamp Moss and Biscotti.
What do you like about apricot jam and swamp moss? I have both of those, and can't find their charm.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-06-23, 1:25pm

Default Verde Muschio

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingobeth View Post
Verde Muschio. The most amazing shade of green, it's like real jade.
On my hot head, this strikes (or maybe it's reducing) to a silvery opaque green, not jadelike at all. Makes nice octopi.
Old 2012-06-23, 1:48pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlilly1 View Post
What do you like about apricot jam and swamp moss? I have both of those, and can't find their charm.
I make alot of organics and both of these etch nicely.

Old 2012-06-23, 2:00pm

Love Verde Muschio, love Dark Fossil with silver glass. Love Candy Apple Red for pulling flower stringer. Sad that Vetrofond has stopped making rods for lampworkers (pout).

Old 2012-06-23, 2:02pm

Well my apricot jam, etched, turned out like a block of cheese. Yuck! The swamp moss kind of looks yellowy-caramelly. I'm glad someone else can appreciate them!

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-06-23, 2:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassFirenze View Post
That's "the word" - I asked Mike Frantz directly quite awhile back and at that time he was still planning on ordering more... but I keep hearing it's no more. There is a good thread on here somewhere that explains that Vetrofond only produces their colors in 9-10mm rods and Mike had special ordered all the 5-6mm rods and that means ordering thousands of pounds of glass. Pretty big investment. I do recall hearing lots of complaints when a color did come in the large rod size only so maybe Mike doesn't feel there is a market for the large rods in the U.S?

Vetrofond has produced some great odd lot colors...

Thanks Melanie for all the input! Brenda... Frantz still has Lichen for sale http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....keyword=lichen What do you like about Lichen?

Thanks!
Deb
I like lichen for organic beads as a base. It just really looks nice to me.

I am placing a frantz order. Have to get a little more before it is gone.
Old 2012-06-23, 2:14pm

I forgot about Fossil. Love that one too. It looks like layered earth.
Old 2012-06-23, 2:17pm
I'm meeeeelting

I would have said candy apple, but now that cim maraschino is on the scene, all is well.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-06-23, 2:30pm
Lampworkaholic!

Fossil is made by Effetre.

Old 2012-06-23, 2:33pm
Artistically Absorbed

Isn't Fossil Effetre Cool? My fave is Tangerine Sparkle followed by Red Carrot Sparkle! Ohhh so Prwetty, but I love oranges so it might be just me!
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-06-23, 8:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Fossil is made by Effetre.
Thank goodness.
Old 2012-06-23, 11:14pm
aka Deborah Spence

Really appreciate all the input!

I'd love it if Mike got the Vet Crystal Clear in... I mostly use it in large rods anyway.