Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2012-09-26, 6:09am

Default Protective eyewear with prescriptions

Hi everyone! Does anyone add prescriptions to their eyewear or can anyone suggest someone? I have new glasses on order and would like to put my "closeup" rx onto some protective eyewear.

Thanks in advance

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-26, 9:05am

Auralens used to be the go-to, but I don't know the current feelings about them now.

Have you considered a shield? Then you could wear your regular glasses.

Oops, did you mean you wanted to order stick-ons?

Last edited by Robinj; 2012-09-26 at 9:41am.
Old 2012-09-26, 9:52am
Storm Queen

PM Malcolm and see if he can help.

Old 2012-09-26, 10:09am

I never even considered a shield! I was thinking about glasses with the rx.
Auralens was the first company that came to mind for me too and I had the same thought.

Duane

Quote:
Auralens used to be the go-to, but I don't know the current feelings about them now.

Have you considered a shield? Then you could wear your regular glasses.

Oops, did you mean you wanted to order stick-ons?

Old 2012-09-26, 10:10am

Funny you should mention Malcolm! I have something arriving from him today! Can't wait to get home!

Duane

Quote:
PM Malcolm and see if he can help.

Old 2012-09-26, 11:38am
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Phillips if you do want the perscription, but perscriptions change. I definately vote for the shield, they are fantastic.

Old 2012-09-26, 2:52pm
Melody of Glass

Just got these. Made me feel old but other than that, love them. And cheap!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I evaluated all my options and decided that if I got a shield, I would still want safety glasses on so it didn't help me. Prescription glasses seemed like they would add up over time. Don't like dual glasses. Settled on these.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-09-28, 5:46am

I went through Phillips and got my prescription diddys absolutely love them.

Old 2012-09-28, 2:42pm
All Zeke, all the time

Autumn - may I ask how much they ran you? Roughly? also how strong is your prescription? I looked in to script diddys and found that in my prescription, which is strong, they would be very very heavy. Apparently script diddys are only available with glass lenses (??), not poly or other light weight material. Also I was told they would be approx 3x the cost of standard lenses.

Thanks!
Old 2012-09-28, 4:58pm

well I actually just ordered the readers and they were about $120 if I remember correctly. I got the downtown frames and they aren't heavy at all. I ordered the readers because I wear bifocals and it was going to cost considerably more, so I just got the readers that were closest to my prescription.

Old 2012-09-28, 6:16pm
All Zeke, all the time

thanks Autumn!
Old 2012-09-30, 6:02am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

I think, may be wrong, that Sundance offer prescription glasses .....?

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2012-10-01, 9:13am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I just wear didys over my stock glasses. It works great for me.

I would like to try a shield, but I'm 90% certain I'd hate it, and it's way too much money to gamble against those odds.

L-111

Old 2012-10-23, 7:46am

I got my stick-ons here. Great price and they really work well. Just use water to place in any set of regular sunglasses, lampworking glasses, etc. I tried placing my lmpwrking goggles over regular glasses but hated the extra weight.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-10-23, 9:52am

I just broke my boro fit-overs (plastic side parts) and decided since I boro so much and really wanted split lens ... to get clip on (not the flip up).

They were pricey $260 through ABR who got them from Phillips ... But now as my eye glass script changes (for me yearly) I can just unhook them and put then on the next pair.

(P.S. I'm going for new glasses tomorrow and plan to use my "old" glasses for my clip-ons .. FWIW)

I also occassionally wear bifocal contacts and wear the regular didydium or boroscopic lens with those.

Old 2012-10-24, 11:24am

The fit over model from Phillips is the best thing in my opinion. They go over your rx glasses, and will continue to do so when your rx changes.

Phillips will do lenses with prescriptions, but you must order them that way. I don't think you can send in an existing stock pair, and have them altered. At least that's how I've understood it. I could double check on that.

Shields are ok, but there is so much "side light" that escapes the shield, and can be damaging.

I just think the fit overs offer the best solution, and are priced rather low compared to other glasses. My favorite thing about the fitovers, is the side eye protection they offer. Metal frames and goggles can let a lot of light through. Biker Wraps and Fit Overs are by far the most protectant.

Old 2012-11-01, 5:00am

The only problem with the fit overs is that two pairs of glasses are really heavy.

Old 2012-11-01, 9:19am
Marble Lover

I'm going to be ordering prescription wraparounds from Phillips in the next week or 2. There's a specific reason I'm getting the prescription ones and not just fit-overs. I Am only working soft glass for now, but do expect to do some Boro in the future.

I've looked at my lens choices, but can't figure out if the "Phillips 202 (ACE)" will be fine for my needs or if I should get the ACE IR 3 or 5 instead since they specifically mentions Boro.

Can any of you smart people decipher the verbiage when you click the pink "Phillips 202 (ACE)" in the link below and tell me if they are OK for occasional Boro work?

Appreciate it.
-BEP

Quote:
The fit over model from Phillips is the best thing in my opinion. They go over your rx glasses, and will continue to do so when your rx changes.

Phillips will do lenses with prescriptions, but you must order them that way. I don't think you can send in an existing stock pair, and have them altered. At least that's how I've understood it. I could double check on that.
Old 2012-11-01, 10:19am

Quote:
I'm going to be ordering prescription wraparounds from Phillips in the next week or 2. There's a specific reason I'm getting the prescription ones and not just fit-overs. I Am only working soft glass for now, but do expect to do some Boro in the future.

I've looked at my lens choices, but can't figure out if the "Phillips 202 (ACE)" will be fine for my needs or if I should get the ACE IR 3 or 5 instead since they specifically mentions Boro.

Can any of you smart people decipher the verbiage when you click the pink "Phillips 202 (ACE)" in the link below and tell me if they are OK for occasional Boro work?

Appreciate it.
-BEP
It's hard to recommend which of the 2 shade levels you should get as it depends on you and how much protection you'd like. Getting just the 202ACE lenses will allow you to see into the flame, but when it comes to actual protection against the more extreme levels of UV and IR radiation you will want a welding shade.

We like to phrase it this way. We will only recommend the highest level of safety, however when using a shade 5 your level of visible light will be significantly reduced compared to using a shade 3 where as the level of protection gained is somewhat minimal.

Old 2012-11-01, 10:44am
Marble Lover

Thank you, Sundance Glass.

-BEP
Old 2012-11-01, 3:47pm
Flamewoman

Ok I am ready to get some clip on's and looked at them at ABR, but I
do not know what to get. There is a #3 and a #5. What is that, size?
How do I know if they will fit my glassses, and also, what shade to get?
I have some really old ones I am using from Aura lense, and I do not remember
what shade I got. What do most people recomend for boro?
I am not worried about them being heavy, as my Auralense glasses are prescription
and they are very heavy. My prescription has changed some in 7 years, and
the clip on's would be perfect for me once I decide which to get.
Hey Dave, if you see this, if I get the wrong one's can I trade them in
on different shade/size?

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2012-11-02, 9:33am

Quote:
Ok I am ready to get some clip on's and looked at them at ABR, but I
do not know what to get. There is a #3 and a #5. What is that, size?
How do I know if they will fit my glassses, and also, what shade to get?
I have some really old ones I am using from Aura lense, and I do not remember
what shade I got. What do most people recomend for boro?
I am not worried about them being heavy, as my Auralense glasses are prescription
and they are very heavy. My prescription has changed some in 7 years, and
the clip on's would be perfect for me once I decide which to get.
Hey Dave, if you see this, if I get the wrong one's can I trade them in
on different shade/size?
Hey Mary K! Shade 3 and 5 are welding shade levels. They are different levels of light radiation filtering (This include UV and IR radiation) where the higher the number the more intense of a filter.

The issue is always that the more filtration you get it is usually a trade off in the visible light being greatly reduced. Please check out the page we referred BEP to for a more detailed description to give you a better idea of welding shade differences.