Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-06-05, 1:57pm

Default Calling All Texans

The hot weather is here... and I'm feeling it. My studio is an upstairs porch with lots of windows and one air conditioner. This is no problem during the fall, winter or spring. I just open windows, turn on the ceiling fan in the other part of the porch, and am quite comfortable. I have a heater if it gets cold. But this is my first summer in this porch and it is HOT already. Today a large part of the time I torched the temperature was around 100.
The size of the porch is around 30 ft by 9 ft. I have an 8000 btu a/c and it was running full blast when the room temperature was 100. The a/c is perpendicular to my torch, and when the air comes out, it blows onto the torch, and the flame wavers back and forth. So I have to cover the a/c. I can buy a bigger a/c, but how big? If I put it where the air runs parallel to my torch, will it still affect the flame?
How do other Texans cool their studio? Has anyone installed window film and did that help? I have nine large windows which makes for a nice view, but the sun sure heats things up.
THanks for any advice. Pam
Old 2007-06-05, 2:16pm
The Andrea Half

Oh, cool, where in Texas?

Okay, I'm now in Georgia, but I lived in Texas for 36 years and my sister lampworks and lives there, so ... that sounds like a HUGE space to cool, especially with the windows. I would suggest reflective film, and slatted blinds that you can close on the windows away from the torching area. HAve you also considered installing a sliding folding door so that your actual studio space is smaller (= easier to cool)?

Failing that: keep an ice chest by you, filled with ice water, and two bandannas. Soak one and get it good and cold, and wrap it around your neck while you soak the other. When the one around your neck is warm, swap bandannas. Between beads, please.

The alternative, of course, is just to sweat. Leslie worked in an unairconditioned toolshed for a long time, and just got good at dealing with heat. Now she has her own studio, but it's more like 8x10, so a single AC unit manages to keep it pretty cool, around 82 or so. That's why I suggested ways of making your space (temporarily) smaller (I wouldn't want to lose the view the rest of the year.)

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-05, 2:44pm

I'm in Galveston, where were you?
Thanks for the suggestion about the bandanas, that's a good idea. The window film too. Partitioning it off won't help, however, because there is a high cathedral ceiling. I am becoming somewhat accustomed to the heat, and 90 doesn't seem like such a big deal, and 95 is becoming more tolerable. Maybe instead of dipping the bandanas into the ice chest I just ought to sit on the ice. Pam
Old 2007-06-05, 3:00pm
Dichro Addict

I live in the Dallas area. So far I've been okay, but it's not going to last long. I get up and work in the morning before it gets too hot. My studio is in my laundry room (it's a big room), and I have a window open for make-up air that is shaded by a patio cover. I turn the AC off in the house when I work, and so far it hasn't gotten over about 78 in the house. I tried ducting the makeu-up air to the work table, but I couldn't make it work. I think it was too long of a run. That would be the best way to go as far as not affecting your room temp. My kids are out of school for the summer, so I feel a little guilty working anyway. I'll just work for a few hours in the morning until it gets too hot.

I know there's information here posted about ducting the fresh air to the bench.

Okay, I read your post again and it sounds like it's the heat from the windows that's causing your problem more than the make-up air. I have the window tint on all of the windows in my house and it does help, but I don't know if it will be enough. Good luck!!!

Last edited by lenora; 2007-06-05 at 3:04pm.
Old 2007-06-05, 4:33pm

Did you put the window tint on yourself, or did you hire it done? If you hired it, was it expensive?
Old 2007-06-05, 5:26pm
What, Me Worry?

Ok... here's what's going on (besides the 'solar room' ).

BTU is a thermal unit... it applies to heat or cool. The torch is putting out around 8,000 BTU/Hr in 'heat' (assuming a small torch - even more for bigger torches). The AC is putting out 8,000 BTU/hr in 'cool'. So there's really nothing left to cool the room... it's all going to cool what the torch heats up.

And, if your ventilation is system is extracting at the rates normally seen published for hoods, then even a small venthood is removing about 300 cubic foot per minute. Given the room size 30' x 9', with a 12' ceiling... the ventilation system takes all the air from the room every 10 minutes, replacing it with hot outside air. That would be like opening your front door and back door, placing a box fan in the front door blowing house air out, and seeing if the home AC could keep up. Nope, not in Texas in the summer... AC barely keeps up with the normal home air exchange of 1 every 2 hours.

Factor in that porches are not insulated and the heat transfer is impossible to control. You would need an AC system that could cool the uninsulated room like HEB uses.

Option 1: Use the AC so it blows only on you - you will never cool the room if normal flamework ventilation is used.

Option 2: Put a bowl of ice water under the table and stick your bare feet in it.

Option 3: Do both 1 and 2 above... this is Texas.

Option 4: Move to an insulated inside room and use a high efficiency flamework ventilation system.

Me
Padre Island
Old 2007-06-05, 8:00pm

I am considering option 5:

Option 5: work when the sun doesn't shine. Sundown to midnight.

Combined with option 3, I might be able to hack it. This being Texas, it will get even hotter during the next two months.
Old 2007-06-05, 9:00pm

I live in Corpus Christi, and it is already hot. I moved my setup to my screened in porch. I put a bandana on and sweat like a race horse. I drink lots of water, and stay off the torch on unbearable days.

Steve

Old 2007-06-05, 9:45pm
The Andrea Half

ANd Texas will STAY hot through October. I used to pity the kids from New England who would attend UT Austin and be wearing their woolies in September.

Steve, I lived in Corpus until I was 12 and Austin thereafter ... our mother worked in Galveston on a project and I came over to visit for four months or thereabouts...

And I second the idea of blowing the fan JUST on you. You might set up the equivalent of an old swampp cooler, too-put a small fan between you and the AC to boost the air toward you--and blow it over a large tray of ice cubes.

For what it's worth, while I was a grad student I couldn't afford AC, so I spent every summer in Austin save my very last one (when I was staying with a friend who could afford it) without it, and many nights I put a tray of ice on a trunk at the foot of the bed and had the fan blow over it toward me.

Here in Georgia it isn't so hot, but the humidity's brutal. At least it goes AWAY by mid September, whereas I distinctly remember 100+ degree days in late October in Texas. Unfortunately, it really doesn't seem to get cold here in Georgia, either; the coolest in winter I've seen so far has been mid thirties.

Old 2007-06-06, 6:26am

I live in College Station, ugh, and my studio is about 9x20 between the house and garage. The central a/c cools it when it's closed up, but when I'm working of course I have to open the doors (one on each end) and the fan pulls in all that lovely hot air. I put a thermometer out there so I could gauge just how nasty it is, LOL.
I have an old-fashioned ottoman fan that sits on the floor for when things get nasty. I might add a bowl of ice sometime. Otherwise just sweat it out and watch the clock for quitting time!
I do use Evian mist, it's water that comes in a spray can. It sprays a very fine mist and feels so god on a hot day. A bit of an indulgence but so worth it!
Good Luck! I'm off to breezy Milwaukee! WooHoo!
Kim

[/size]
Old 2007-06-06, 6:43am
Mandrel Slayer

Hello fellow south Texan,

I am in Dickinson. I work in what was the breakfast nook. I have film on the windows and my hood ventilates to the window. I can block most of the area around the hood hose when I want to but usually I leave it open unless the wind from outside is strong enough to affect my flame.

I am fortunate that one of my AC vents is fairly close. However, I do live with the flame moving around from time to time because of a little fan and the window air coming in. My torch is only about 2 feet from the window itself.

Bonny

I just noticed option 5. That is a good one. Most of the time I work at night. I do everything else in the day and torch till 1am.

Last edited by playingwithfirebeads; 2007-06-06 at 6:45am.
Old 2007-06-06, 9:32pm

Hey, Dickinson, you're just a few miles away. Howdy!
I went to Walmart today, and bought a small fan, and I'm going to do the ice/fan thing, and I also got a small mister, that holds water and you pump it up and it sort of mists. If these don't help I'm going to go with the suggestion of sitting in front of a room air conditioner and block the torch somehow. And if all these don't work I'm going to make like a vampire and work at night. Sleep in the day time. Avoid mirrors and stakes.
Old 2007-06-06, 10:13pm

I'm just now setting up my torching area...glad I read this so I can have the AC vent NOT blowing on my flame! You would think "Duh" but it is hard to think of everything! I will have 2 crank-out windows for my make-up air...is that enough for a 7 x 7 "closet" of an area?

I'm in Austin.

Last edited by Stratified Eye; 2007-06-06 at 10:15pm. Reason: added info
Old 2007-06-07, 3:01am
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratified Eye View Post
I'm just now setting up my torching area...glad I read this so I can have the AC vent NOT blowing on my flame! You would think "Duh" but it is hard to think of everything! I will have 2 crank-out windows for my make-up air...is that enough for a 7 x 7 "closet" of an area?
I'm in Austin.
If the room as is described here... no.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...68#post1199468
See you over on the above thread.

Me
Old 2007-06-08, 7:21am
The Andrea Half

I'm going to be visiting San Antonio in late July ... I know about the San Antonio lampworking meetings but is there one in Austin around that time?

Old 2007-06-08, 8:06am
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mincot View Post
I'm going to be visiting San Antonio in late July ... I know about the San Antonio lampworking meetings but is there one in Austin around that time?

http://www.austinbluemoon.com/

See Fireflies.

Note, the ISGB Conference is late July... lots of folks might be there versus at local meetings.

Me