Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-08, 4:59am

Default Murrini Help Please...

Hi, everyone! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, all of the glass artists’ Murrini, like the ones Hayley and Astrid create and all the rest of the artists. But I don’t have a clue how to make them. I can make vine cane and such and that is about it.

Is there a great tutorial…or a fabulous book that you all could tell me about that gives STEP BY STEP instructions WITH GREAT PHOTOS?

Is there such a thing out there? I am seeing the most fabulous looking murrini I’ve ever seen. I haven’t been making beads for about two years now and am just getting back into it and I just want to say to all of you that your creativity, talent and skills have just EXPLODED!

I’m awestruck! I’m so very excited and happy to be back working with glass and making beads again…but my skill is lacking and I need some good instructions.

If you all could help me and let me know if there are any good tutorials or books, I would be very grateful. This community is so wonderful and giving and I feel fortunate to be a part of it.

Oh, I also heard there may be some good Japanese books out there. If anyone knows about them, please let me know so I can pick up a copy.

Also, any tips you could share with me on making murrini would be so very much appreciated! Thanks again for your help. You all are such a blessing!

Barb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-08, 5:17am

have you looked at Cindy Jenkins books I think this is the best deal because there are tons of tutorials from different artist.
" Beads Of Glass"
you can get it on amazon very reasonable.
Old 2010-04-08, 6:55am

I have that one, but don't recall seeing anything on making murrini. I'll take another look.

Thank you!

Any other tutorials or books anyone may know of?

Barb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-08, 3:52pm

Jim Kervin's book on Akihiro Okhama has some very nice tutorials on making a couple of different murrinis. It's not expensive and is a good value.

Robert
Old 2010-04-08, 6:19pm
Addicted to Glass.

Milon Townsend's book has a lot of good info in it in general (including Murini) but is more geared towards boro sculpture.

Old 2010-04-08, 7:37pm
Creatrixie

There are some good tutorials out there,
like Mary's Cane tut:
Canes by Moth / Mary Lockwood
http://marylockwood.etsy.com
21 pages, 100 images
PDF version 3.0mb file size, $15.00 / Printed version $24.88
This tutorial has complete written instructions and step by step images of how to build and use 9 different canes.

Striped Vines
Latticino
Pinwheel Twisties
Inside Out Stripes
Tubers
Capped Ribbons
Rainbow Ribbon
Starfish Murrini
Zanfirico Ballerino

and Ryan has a good one too:
Cane, Murrini and Millefiori by Ryan T
http://RyanT.etsy.com
18 pages, 120+ images, available in 1.3, 2.8 and 14.5mb file size, $26.00
This is a set of eight separate and complete tutorials on making murrini, and contains supporting information on many related topics including tools, glass choice, cutting murrini, using murrini, etc... The tutorials are arranged in order of difficulty and progress, from basic shapes all the way to a complex monarch butterfly, including clownfish, blue tangs, two types of butterflies and signature cane. All these tutorials require some experience at the torch.

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2010-04-08, 9:23pm
I'm not Barbie.

Lots of practice, trial and error. That's what I did. PPP.
Old 2010-04-09, 5:17am

Thanks a bunch to you all. I have some of the tutorials you mentioned. I'll have to check out the others. I'll also check out the books!

Thanks so very much for the info. I'll keep at it and hopefully will finally come up with something that looks decent!

You all are wonderful for sharing. Hugs to all of you!

Barb
Old 2010-04-09, 5:32am

Loren Stump is coming to Flametree in Atlanta at the end of May - you could come up and do a murrini boot camp. Hands-on is the best way to learn and you'll get plenty of that. I've done it 2X and would go for #3 if I could get away from work.

Robert
Old 2010-04-09, 6:30am

OH, HOW I WISH I COULD GO!!! I also had the chance when Flametree was here in Orlando, but I was too much of a newbie to sign up. I still think I'm too much of a newbie to attend his class. Maybe someday...

Barb
Old 2010-04-09, 7:09am
Wendy

Corina has one here: http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/minimurrini.php

Here's another great link for them: http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/murini/murrine.htm

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me

Last edited by Bluejeangirlnc; 2010-04-09 at 7:11am. Reason: added another link
Old 2010-04-09, 7:26am

Corina's is the simplest.

Old 2010-04-09, 9:45am
da General

The basic construction of a murrini is various wraps of different glass that form concentric circles like a bulls eye. Then you add thin stringer lines on the outer most layer. I usually do 16-18 lines but my gather of glass is as large as 1.5" in diameter.

The most difficult part of murrini making is understanding what works and what doesn't and coming up with interesting color combination that is unique and appealing. I use a lot of silver glass in combination with regular ones, as well as odd lots, test batches and glasses that are no longer available to ensure that my murrinis are very different.

Hope that helps.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-04-09, 10:02am

These links are beyond the scope of the murrini already discussed, but it's a cool technique and what this guy has done with it is amazing:

The technique:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82993

The eye candy:

http://www.glasskitchen.com/

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2010-04-09, 10:10am

Here's one done the old fashioned way by Loren Stump. I've seen it in the flesh (so to speak) and it's truly spectacular.

http://www.stumpchuck.com/madonna.html

Robert
Old 2010-04-09, 10:37am

You folks are awesome! Thanks so much! I’ve got a lot of information here that should really get me off to a great start. Thanks again. I just love you all…you’ve been so helpful.

Blessings to you all!!!

Barb
Old 2010-04-09, 12:04pm
I speak Murrini!

Wow, the examples, tips and links shown are amazing! Beautiful work everyone!

I'm on a Hot Head - so I'm limited time/heat wise a bit - but I still endeavor to do some pretty detailed murrini!

I REALLY MUST finish and publish my Skull Murrini Tutorial which gives great basic information on how to build an image directly in the flame! Once I get back from Glass Craft, I promise to make it a PRIORITY!

All'z I need'z is time...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-04-10, 3:39pm

Loren is the master he is also a wonderful teacher.
Old 2010-04-10, 3:46pm

Also the link to Corina's is a good one
easy, concise and free can't ask for more than that.
There really is a lot of free information out there .
Old 2010-04-13, 4:58am

So true! I tried making some over the weekend and grabbed the wrong green. It turned out icky. I'll keep trying.

I purchased some of Hayley's murrini. Hooray! I couldn't resist. Thanks sweet Hayley!

I just got it yesterday and haven't had the chance to open it up or use it. Hopefully, I will get a chance to make a bead with them this weekend!

Then, my sweet Sis, Susan in Texas made some and said she is sending me a few to try out. Bless her heart! Thanks Sis! Love ya!

I've got to get my hands on one of those Japanese books. I wonder if they tell us how to make them in English? Does anyone know?

They make awesome murrini!

Thanks again everyone!

Barb
Old 2010-04-13, 7:25am
da General

Thank you, Barb!

The Japanese books are great - the Kogure/Tonbo Dama one does have some English.

|
|
|
|