LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-12-29, 11:54am

Default Epoxy/Glue for Jewelry holding Cremains

Hello. I posted this also under Jewelry; however, I thought I might post it here under tips and techniques as well. I hope I don't offend anyone.

My precious Mom passed away on 18 Dec 09 and I was wondering if anyone might know of any type of glue or epoxy that is the best to seal jewelry which holds a tiny bit of cremains (I hope I spelled that correctly).

I purchased small pieces of jewelry that has screw type ends on them which holds a tiny bit of my Mom's remains. I know some people may think that is an awful idea, but I would like to have my Mom close to me.

I know her spirit is in heaven and this is just what is left of her body; but I took care of her until I was 21 years old and she lived in a nursing home after that for 37 years.

She meant the world to me and I want to make sure the jewelry doesn't ever come apart. So I would like to use something to forever seal the screw type end pieces of jewelry.

Does anyone have any ideas? Are there any lampworkers out there who may have worked with remains?

Also, if you all would please keep me in your prayers as I go through the grieving process, I would sure appreciate it. It's been very, very rough on me.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Barb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-29, 12:14pm
Never give up

Wish I could help,but I don't know much about glue. I am into making glass beads right now. I hope to make more jewerly soon. I did what to say my mom passed away 12 years ago. She was also my best friend. We did tons of crafts projects together. I know how you feel. I still miss my mom. It does get easier. God bless
Old 2009-12-31, 11:51pm
Sucks at being nice

I just lost my mom on December 12th so we can cry on each other's shoulders. I am also planning on creating something special when I get to the point that I can even think of her without bawling. Dee did a lovely tutorial on how to make a bead using cremains. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=137703 I know it's not quite what your looking for but it is a very nice idea.

Hang in there. Everyone tells me it will get easier so it must be true.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-01, 10:47am

Thanks so much for the link. I'm so sorry to hear about your Mother. Yes, we are grieving together and in different locations. It is so hard not to cry all day long. My Mom was the only real family I had and she loved me and stood by me no matter what. I don't know how I'm going to get along without her.

I'll keep you in my prayers as well and may we both be strengthened. I'll check out the tutorial. Thanks a bunch to all for the help.

Barb
Old 2010-01-01, 11:39am

Barb, so sorry about your mom. Sounds like it was a long journey for both of you.

I'm not sure what type of container you're using, but I love the E6000 glue. It's a gel, so it's not as thick as epoxy but thicker than a super glue. It takes a little while to set up, but bonds like crazy and is waterproof. If I can find it, I'll post a link to Fire Mountain Gems with an article they had on various glues for jewelry.

Here it is: http://www.firemountaingems.com/ency...mc_id=NL091229

Old 2010-01-02, 9:06pm

If you haven't found anything yet e-mail me your address. I have the glue that was sent with the Wilton bracelet that holds cremains. Sounds like the same one you described. Whoever you purchased it from should have given you glue that the company sends along with the bracelets. Karen
Old 2010-01-05, 6:16am

Thanks so much for your help everyone! I'm going to try the E6000 Glue that was recommended because I have some of that. So we'll see how that goes.

The reason I didn't want them sealed at first was that I just wanted to ensure her cremains were really in there. I hate to be such a skeptic. But I wanted to be sure. So I asked that they not seal them.

Thanks again for all of your comments. You all are such a blessing to me! Thank you!

Barb