Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-02-18, 2:01pm
Fire n Sand Glass Art

Question Simax or Pyrex CLEAR ROD?????

I've read that everyone prefers Simax clear to Pyrex and am wondering why.

Looking for 19mm rod and seems the places with the best prices are out of it right now or it has ship so far that I'm thinking of using Pyrex instead.

What's the difference between the 2 when making implosions?

Thanks,
Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
Old 2011-02-18, 2:20pm
Pyromaniac

I love Pyrex, and have both Simax and Pyrex. Not sure where the dislike of Pyrex is coming from but check out this post.
I know some people really dislike Schott though.
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=109

There are differences in how the clear reacts with silver color.

There was also a thread in the Melting Pot about the differences.
http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...ferences+clear

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2011-02-18 at 3:05pm.
Old 2011-02-18, 2:37pm
ManBearPig

There are differences in how the the clears react with color and how they react with fuming. For color, I prefer (and will only use) Simax. Pyrex, Kimble and Schott all have calcium in them (I think that's what it is) that reacts with the metals in the colors. This can cloud or dull them. This really only happens with colors with silver in them. It doesn't really effect crayon colors or colors like that.

For fuming, I prefer Kimble or Pyrex. You can get good colors fuming with Simax, but you work it differently. With Kimble you almost always get good results with fuming.

Old 2011-02-18, 10:33pm
He can do the origami

Another Simaz only user here... also.... Schott has a line called Schott "Artistic" It TOTALLY clouds glass with silver,
Old 2011-02-19, 5:31pm

I was under the impression that it was Pyrex that had the calcium in it, causing it to react the way it does with silver. I thought the calcium is what helped with the crystal growth. I thought that simax didn't have this calcium, giving the artist more control over the crystal growth and that was the reason Northstar uses it for all their dipped tubes. I'm probably wrong though.

That being said, Simax all the way for me. I find I have much more control over the final look of my silver colors when encased in simax over the other brands of clear I've tried.
Old 2011-02-20, 4:00am
boro color bender

Simax user here... I stopped using Pyrex years ago when I used a lot of solid rod on the lathe... Pyrex had so many flat spots and bends, it was a pain to use... not nearly the quality of Simax...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-02-20, 5:27am
Newb boro fanatic

I've been trying to get some Pyrex to fume with for a while now, and I assumed that it'd be better with silver colours too, since it's good for fuming... But now I don't know what brand I'd want if I ordered a case of rod for general use! I guess I'll just have to try the Pyrex first before I order anything expensive lol

Old 2011-02-21, 7:18am
Pyromaniac

Cosmo - I can't seem to get fume implosions to look like yours in the tutorial when I use Simax tubing - which is all I have at the moment. I have gotten some cool results but... different Any suggestions?

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-02-21, 7:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Cosmo - I can't seem to get fume implosions to look like yours in the tutorial when I use Simax tubing - which is all I have at the moment. I have gotten some cool results but... different Any suggestions?
I had the same problem. You can do it, but it takes a lot more control of the fuming. I still fume over it from time to time, but I prefer the pyrex/kimax now for fuming.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-02-21, 12:03pm
Pyromaniac

Mine come out hella transparent. Maybe I'm not using enough fume, or I'm making too large of dots in the fume, or something... Hmm. Probably should start a thread with pix (which I don't have right now).

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-02-21, 4:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Mine come out hella transparent. Maybe I'm not using enough fume, or I'm making too large of dots in the fume, or something... Hmm. Probably should start a thread with pix (which I don't have right now).
This was my problem with the Simax as well. I either got way too little fume, or way too much. It seems that the sweet spot for good fuming results is a lot smaller than with pyrex/kimax.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-02-22, 7:43am

I have been a Simax guy for 13 years. But when we recently started carrying the Kimble, I noticed I liked it more, for certain things. Fuming with the Kimble is the best thing about it. Seems to hold so much better. I should make the same thing with both, and see what happens.

Old 2011-02-23, 7:32pm
Newbie. I still suck. :)

Pipe makers view........ I cant tell the difference, all the clear glass is the same except cracky asian.
Old 2011-02-24, 7:48pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovice View Post
Pipe makers view........ I cant tell the difference, all the clear glass is the same except cracky asian.
For outside work there isn't a lot of difference. But, doing inside out work, I see a big difference.

Old 2011-02-26, 9:45am

Default simax vs kimax example with silver glass

Ok, these two pendants aren't any great shakes. I just did them quickly yesterday to show the difference between simax and kimax when using silver color. I used the same twisty for both of them which was a mix of silver strike 3, aquatic carnival, jet black, and something from a NS mystery bag. I didn't change my torch settings with either. With the exception of the twist being a bit tighter on the right hand pendant, the only difference was that the left one was made with simax and right one was made with kimax.

Chad, is this the same difference you see when you work the two different glasses?
Attached Images

Old 2011-02-26, 10:18am
Pyromaniac

Wow the color is much more brilliant with the Simax, but I guess it depends on what look you are trying to get.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2011-02-26, 4:27pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I love when pictures speak really loud. Excellent, Eric!

Old 2011-02-26, 5:48pm

Thanks for showing this Eric.

Old 2011-03-01, 1:42pm
sorcerer

Not that I am trying to resurrect this thread or anything but I noticed the comment about "calcium" in boro, here is an analysis of Pryex.
silica 81%
boron 12.5%
alumina 2%
soda 4.5%
this is pryex as used after 1936
I don't have info on other types of boro but it would be interesting to compare them, it is my belief that silver enters the glass in an ion exchange with sodium so I would think that boro high in soda would fume best, and I don't believe calcium is used in boro, but I may be wrong there.
B

Old 2011-03-07, 5:25am
boro color bender

There was a batch of Kimble years ago that rocked... I had no idea about the reaction with some silver colors until another glass worker asked me if I had some of this in a date range. I looked and i did have a case or two. It was 96 or 98 kimble... apparently, they made tea pots that they blew into molds lubed with an oil... the broken ones got rebatched and the oil introduced a reduction quality to the clear... it was weird, but it freaked out some silver colors in a very good way... I wish my memory was better, but there is a huge difference in clear for silver glass. Schott Artistic is the devil for what I do... I had a teaching studio switch clear on me without telling me... i had taught there before, so I didn't think to ask about it before class... every single implosion we made was fuzzy... schott artistic will make silver colors look like they've got mold growing on it...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-03-20, 9:10pm
Newb boro fanatic

Well I got myself some Pyrex, and I've been experimenting a bit, comparing it with Simax...

This is Blue Moon and Caramel with Simax: (and a pretty sweet vortex if I do say so myself lol)

And this is Blue Moon and Caramel with Pyrex:

And this is silver fume on Pyrex:

(no gold fume, only silver)
I couldn't even get the Simax to fume noticeably at all haha

Last edited by Rodger; 2011-03-21 at 6:33am.
Old 2011-03-20, 9:21pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

So who sells Pyrex and Simax by the pound now?
I can only find it by the case or the rod.
I'd like to get a few pounds of each.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2011-03-21, 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
So who sells Pyrex and Simax by the pound now?
I can only find it by the case or the rod.
I'd like to get a few pounds of each.
ABR Imagery