Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2016-05-12, 6:27am
ManBearPig

Default Shortage of sodium flare filters

This is taken from Aura Lens's site this morning:

Quote:
5/12/2016

All sales of soft and borosilicate glass filters have temporarily been suspended due to an industry-wide shortage of sodium flare filter glass. Aura Visual Concepts is working hard to relieve this shortage, and we ask for your patience while we sort out the problem and restore our products to our line.
I don't have any more information than that. I know Mike said prices from his suppliers had been going up drastically and that his prices would probably be going up soon.

To find out more, I would monitor Mike's site for the latest updates: www.auralens.net

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2016-05-15, 7:16am
Borovangelist

This is a slightly longer version from TalkGlass:

Quote:
I'm starting to get prices for new production sodium flare filter raw glass (didymium-based). Current pricing is double the previous price (from the melt prior to the Schott fire). Spoke with the sales engineer this morning, not only did the fire destroy all the process machinery, but it also destroyed their significant stockpile of neodymium powder. They are having to purchase the powder on the open market and China has a stranglehold on the sources and supplies.

I am fully expecting to see soft glass filters in-the-frame prices double from their current levels. Borosilicate filters will probably increase by about 25%. This will probably spell the end of "economy glasses".

I'm not happy about this, and I'm trying to 2nd and 3rd source raw material to keep the prices as low as I can. However, consider this a heads-up that eyewear prices are going to be significantly increasing, and at this point, there's not a whole lot I can do about it.

|
|