Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-05-27, 12:28am
Sankofa

Default Pipe Makers?

I found this site whilst randomly googlin, I havn't seen too much input from pipe makers and was curious if there are many of us on here. If so it would be nice to devolope relationships in the pipe making community as well as those working in all other facets of glass work. Since I have become a glass blower I have noticed a strange sepratism between the two spectrums of worker. I look around both sides and have seen that we are bound to eachother simply because our paths have led us to find creative expression through glass and flame. I hope that we can shine light and love on eachother keeping in mind that we are linked by this common thread. I am in love with what I do and am excited about all the great works I see comin from all of you. Keep the fire goin and the communty thrivin much love and many blessings. Peace -Ezek-
Old 2008-05-27, 3:02am
boro color bender

Welcome to the board... I don't make pipes... much.

You are definitely welcome on LE, no matter what you make.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-05-27, 5:06am
crabby...who me?

Hi Ezek,there are some pipemakers that come to LE,but the majority of pipers are at the GLDC site called The Melting Pot.
Jeff
Old 2008-05-27, 5:22am
Detail G-Mama!

Hi Ezek! Welcome! I noticed your from Austin so I'm sure you know Kevin over at Flamewerks! Have you been to Blue Moon yet?

Old 2008-05-27, 6:07am

Hi Ezek! Nice to meet you!
Please show pictures! I would love to see your work!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-05-27, 8:11am
Cancer SUCKS!

Welcome to LE. I have been serisously thinking about starting to make pipes. Not sure how they are selling with the economy the way it is, but I'm needing an income and don't want to go back to a "REAL" job.

Old 2008-05-27, 9:01am

I imagine they ALWAYS SELL!
You know the rent is second to a really good pipe for some people.... I'm just saying...

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-05-27, 9:33am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamn! View Post
I imagine they ALWAYS SELL!
You know the rent is second to a really good pipe for some people.... I'm just saying...

I think it's actually third....after beer...

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-05-27, 9:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post

I think it's actually third....after beer...
I have heard that a lot of pipe makers are having a rough time lately due to the big influx of cheap, poor quality pipes from China. I don't smoke, but I personally wouldn't use anything like that from China. Who knows what else you would be inhaling along with what you had originally planned to?

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-05-27, 9:40am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

There's a headshop (fancier than most boutiques) that opened down the road a few years ago.
They have pipes and bong in there that - seriously - are nicer
than most beads are. I'm tempted to just string em up and wear them around my neck!

Before there was a boro room here, there was a SERIOUS lack of info on
boro colors and such. In fact, the pipe forums were the ONLY places I
was able to find out info.

So yeah - post pictures of your pipes! we'd love to see them!
And if you want to do a tutorial on how to make a basic pipe, I'll
bet people would be thrilled!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-05-27, 10:16am

There is a pipe shop in town here where they look like all Chinese imports. I was talking to the owner about how I have seen absolute works of art but he had that glazed look like I was CRAZY! I am sure you guys know what I'm talking about!

Yes Eric I think they probably are having to deal with the imports too! That is a bummer! They had a nice niche there for a bit.

Heidi

~~
~~

Last edited by Jamn!; 2008-05-27 at 10:18am.
Old 2008-05-27, 10:31am
Curmudgeon

Even here in Canada where pipes are fully legal, local makers are having their sales decimated by cheap imports. There are many locals that insist they'll still be able to make money selling pipes, but there will be increasingly less of them doing it, and each will be making increasingly less money. Adapt or die. The survivors in the new market reality will be those that switch to making something else.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-05-27, 10:41am

I'd recommend reading up on the GLDG if your interested in pipemaking. They have alot of information on there. As for getting started, it really helps to be "in the loop" to sell your pieces. I'm a college student and there is no shortage of kids looking for that kind of stuff. I've never brought and of my pieces into head shops yet so I really wouldnt know what to tell you, but that would be a good place to start.

Burning a tanked Phantom
Old 2008-05-27, 10:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post
Even here in Canada where pipes are fully legal, local makers are having their sales decimated by cheap imports. There are many locals that insist they'll still be able to make money selling pipes, but there will be increasingly less of them doing it, and each will be making increasingly less money. Adapt or die. The survivors in the new market reality will be those that switch to making something else.
I do know of one guy who does very artistic large water pipes and he hasn't been affected by the chinese stuff at all. But, he also says that he doesn't do the small mundane headshop pipes. So, maybe there is still a market for the high end stuff.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-05-27, 1:34pm
product of the universe

I hope these photos work. The piece is about 14 inches tall. I made it over the course of a few days while doing my normal production.
Attached Images

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2008-05-27, 2:06pm
Detail G-Mama!

Whoa!! Yep it worked! Cool!!

Old 2008-05-27, 4:13pm

Nice colors, Chayes - is that a sparkle in the dark part?

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-05-27, 4:29pm

Its gorgeous! I love the black with those two colors! Its stunning!

Is that DISCO??

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-05-27, 5:56pm
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite

Well .... some of us old hippies don't make pipes anymore.....just once in a while we blow an extra hole or two in a little vessel when companys coming

Old 2008-05-27, 6:05pm
product of the universe

The black is steel wool. I really like the way the sparkle shows up in sunlight its one of my new favorites colors for tube pulls.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2008-05-27, 7:48pm
Boro Brat

Ezek, welcome! There are a few pipe makers over here but we love all kinds of glass...pipes, sculpture, marbles, beads, toys...whatever!! You definitely should check out the gldg, but hang around here, too...

I don't think anyone means for there to be a separation...there are just different techniques and stuff, so the pipe makers tend to migrate towards each other and the bead makers tend to do the same. That said, I'm a sculpture/mm chick and I always feel welcomed and loved here amongst the talented bead peeps (the majority) It's a good place

Old 2008-05-27, 7:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipyr View Post
Ezek, welcome! There are a few pipe makers over here but we love all kinds of glass...pipes, sculpture, marbles, beads, toys...whatever!! You definitely should check out the gldg, but hang around here, too...

I don't think anyone means for there to be a separation...there are just different techniques and stuff, so the pipe makers tend to migrate towards each other and the bead makers tend to do the same. That said, I'm a sculpture/mm chick and I always feel welcomed and loved here amongst the talented bead peeps (the majority) It's a good place
You mean you can't smoke out of your critters? That little viking dragon one would have made a cute pipe..... :0

Old 2008-05-27, 7:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
You mean you can't smoke out of your critters? That little viking dragon one would have made a cute pipe..... :0
Seriously That would be a cool pipe!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-05-27, 8:03pm

wickedly sweet work there Chris. I play with the elements that pipe maker use and love blowing glass. i have quite the stash of tube to boot. as of yet nothing great made and find it difficult to incorporate these designs (spirals, switchbacks, reversals) in to my present work, but I am sharing this with my 18 year old son and hopefully will see where he takes it. I do make pendants that contain solo elements and they sell well. I will be honest, before I found glass I ran across a lot of head shops that offered glass art, in what I felt was to get around the local laws. what I thought was just a clever way to sell pipes has know changes to thoughts of glass art. your work is truly an art, and a difficult one to master. I probably spend as much time producing products that I know I can sell as I do practicing design like you have shown above. btw my boy agrees, very sick work. his words not mine, I say just flat out SWEET! continue to share your work

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.

Last edited by murf; 2008-05-27 at 8:13pm.
Old 2008-05-27, 8:36pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Chris, it rocks! I like to see any kind of glass even if its a ballcock for a toilet. As long as its done well it deserves to be called art.

Welcome Ezek. Hope you stay a while.

I lived in San Diego CA and the Mexican imports have killed the local market for the simple items. I don't make pipes, but know many there who do. Go detailed and unique and you'll always have a place in the market.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2008-05-28, 5:26am
ManBearPig

I've made a few pipes...

And by "few", I mean "few thousand"...

Old 2008-05-28, 6:50am
Borovangelist

I don't make pipes either (though it's on my list of things to do once just because). But I fool around with boro, moretti, and fusing glass so I get around. There is definitely a lot of cross over here and on the GLDG, but the way I've noticed things tend to clump up glass wise is this:

LE: mostly soft glass/jewelry work (though there is a LOT of 'other' here)

GLDG aka The Melting Pot (http://www.thegldg.com/forum/index.php): Mainly boro with some soft glass in there. There's also a hidden bead lady mafia culture there that guys don't get invited to. I think you actually need to give up an ovary to show your allegiance and gain access

Warm Glass (http://www.warmglass.com/): Fusing/slumping/casting/cold work central.

CraftWeb (http://talk.craftweb.com/): Furnace workers doin' their thing.

I'd be willing to bet there's a quartz group out there somewhere too but I haven't really had a need to go looking. Once I can afford a hydrogen torch though......heheheh

Welcome Ezek!

And Pipyr, Eric's right, that dragon would have made an awesome pipe!

|
|
Old 2008-05-28, 8:49am

the toke city site has a very good glass forum as well and volumes of very nice pipes to view.
http://www.tokecity.com/

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-05-28, 10:21am

Damn who's in the Mafia Bead Lady circle?? We have to talk!

Heidi

~~
~~

Last edited by Jamn!; 2008-05-28 at 10:37am.
Old 2008-05-29, 1:14pm
Sankofa

Default Word

Thankyou guys for your words of kindness. The india glass crisis is really a part of a larger threat for us pipe makers being that the Govt. is taking steps daily to shut us down(I am from Kansas and they recently made pipe making illegal). They have labeled us a threat because we use "fantastical imagery and bright color displays to lure children into the smoking of marijuana". This in conjunction with the india glass underselling us is making it hard every day but, at this point pipe sells are high in the market for both production workers and "headie" makers. I battle these attacks on our art by informing the consumer of the importance of buying local and american blown glass. It is a struggle but, I know that art will prevail and pipe purchasers are now telling shops that they don't want india glass. I am always interested in skill shares and technique share. The reversal ball bubb that Chayes posted is beautiful the sparkle colors are perfect for stacks. If you could find someone with a faceting machine you could make those opals really bling. I do believe we are at a point where art is a threat to people in power (always has been) and some are going to have to fight very hard to continue to inspire and uplift the people of earth. I am glad to see that you're community is very tight and there is an air of radiant positivity coming from all of you. I will post some pics soon I recently got my torch stolen and am having trouble getting back up on my own two feet (one real one prosthetic) but as soon as I am able to work I will post some stuff that I make. Peace -Ezekiel-