LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-02-13, 10:16am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Don't forget to get some pics when you're there on Thursday!!! We need to see pics!!!

It is exciting thinking of all the stuff you want to do ... then you think of all the stuff that 'has' to be done ...!!

Keep us posted!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2013-02-14, 6:56pm
They see me rollin'...

Dang, I forgot again! In my defense, it was freezing today, and I was there with my realtor, the seller and his realtors. I was feeling a little self-conscious.

The walk-through went well. The wife did actually leave some of the window treatments (she wasn't there). lol The seller told me all about the different neighbors, and also the guy who cuts the hay and who can probably also level the ground where I want to put the studio. Yay! I know where to get the gravel, but needed the ground leveled first.

One thing he said was that sometimes the neighbor's calves get through the fence and don't be surprised if I end up with a calf or two in my yard. lol

I did grab this photo from the realtor website. It's just the house. I really need to get some pics!

It really needs some landscaping or something.

The view is pretty amazing (not as amazing as where SilverSage lives, but still amazing by my standards ). This is the only image I could grab that sort of shows some of the view, but it really doesn't do it justice:

I'm just glad we got that over with!

I think it's almost time to order the sheds (it takes 2-3 weeks to build them). There is a farm expo this weekend and I think I'll go and ogle all the farm stuff. Should be fun! Maybe I'll get lucky and win something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-02-14 at 7:09pm.
Old 2013-02-16, 9:33pm

Hello there fellow equestrian, and welcome to Montana! I live in Polson, MT (Flathead Lake area) and if you are ever coming my way, let me know, I'd love to meet you. We had to build a studio as well and ended up building a 16" x 24" guest cabin/studio without much building experience. Because it is not on a solid foundation we didn't need a building permit. My studio is 10' x 10' inside the 16"x24" structure which I now realize is too small so definitely go bigger if you can. We saved a ton of money doing almost everything ourselves. Around here we also like to hire the local amish folks to build all of our out buildings, hay sheds, horse run-in sheds, etc. Their prices always beat everybody else's and the project is done quickly and well constructed.
Old 2013-02-16, 9:42pm
Loving learning

Wow, things are moving along, and before you know it, you'll be there!
Old 2013-02-17, 7:44am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Looks great!! Some landscaping in there will work wonders!! Exciting!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2013-02-17, 8:07am
hyperT

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Quick read you have mentioned a studio and a shed for about $4000. For just the structure, without wiring or finished inside...
Seriously STOP!
Look into a pole building
ETA* S bar S also does pole buildings
Here are a couple links, find the nearest builder supply/lumber yard/farm store in the area and see who builds them locally

http://www.handhcustombuildings.com
http://www.clearybuilding.com
Yes seriously a Pole Barn with cement flooring and insulation. And bigger than you think you need for all that stuff. You'd be surprized how fast the room gets taken up.
Old 2013-02-17, 1:05pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamare View Post
Hello there fellow equestrian, and welcome to Montana! I live in Polson, MT (Flathead Lake area) and if you are ever coming my way, let me know, I'd love to meet you. We had to build a studio as well and ended up building a 16" x 24" guest cabin/studio without much building experience. Because it is not on a solid foundation we didn't need a building permit. My studio is 10' x 10' inside the 16"x24" structure which I now realize is too small so definitely go bigger if you can. We saved a ton of money doing almost everything ourselves. Around here we also like to hire the local amish folks to build all of our out buildings, hay sheds, horse run-in sheds, etc. Their prices always beat everybody else's and the project is done quickly and well constructed.
Hello! I hear that it's very nice up where you live! I had even thought that I might end up in Missoula for a job, but it didn't work out.

I had wondered about maybe having the Amish build something for us! But I have no idea how to find them. Though I know they are here somewhere! I stopped by the Billings Livestock Auction in Feb. and they were there, as is to be expected.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to explore more of Montana at some point, but if I do I will have to look you up! We'll be kind of tied down with our dogs and horses.

-Patti
Old 2013-02-17, 1:12pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperT View Post
Yes seriously a Pole Barn with cement flooring and insulation. And bigger than you think you need for all that stuff. You'd be surprized how fast the room gets taken up.
The thing is, the horses need shelter in the pasture, and a pole barn won't work for that. A pole barn AND loafing sheds are just not in the budget. But I think I can swing the loafing sheds and one more shed for the studio.

I had a great time at the farm expo! I talked to one guy who builds all kinds of sheds and pole barns, and he said that he couldn't do it any cheaper than S Bar S. He also has a longer wait time.

Whenever I try to talk with anyone about a pole barn instead of a shed, I can't seem to get any answers.

Plus, a pole barn would need a cement floor. I would also have to figure out how much that would cost. A pre-made shed comes with a floor and can even be moved later if needed.

I also need hay storage. I'm thinking of getting a carport with sides and using one side for hay and parking in the other side. Carports seem to be really cheap.

I really appreciate all the input! I think we are actually going to go to S Bar S today and order the loafing sheds et al. But I think I will ask them about the pole barn vs. shed thing first. They also build pole barns, so they should know about what they cost.

Thank you!
-Patti

-Patti
Old 2013-02-17, 1:16pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonwoodStudio View Post
Looks great!! Some landscaping in there will work wonders!! Exciting!
Thanks! I don't know much about landscaping, but I need to do something on either side of the front door. It is so PLAIN. The sellers lived there since 1978, so it kind of boggles my mind that they left it like that. But it makes a nice blank canvas for me!

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-02-17 at 1:25pm.
Old 2013-02-17, 1:19pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Wow, things are moving along, and before you know it, you'll be there!
Yup, I can't believe the closing is just a week away!

I'm actually going to miss the RV park. It is so pretty here by the Yellowstone River. And we are protected from the wind pretty much.

One of our dogs, Cricket, LOVES the river. She is just fascinated by it, especially since the riverbanks are encased in ice. She loves ice and snow.

She loves it so much that she fell in yesterday. But she is fine, just got a little wet. We always have them on leash, so she wasn't going anywhere, and it is pretty shallow there, too. But of course when she came back in she rolled all over my bed to dry off. lol

At least in Ballantine we will be right across the highway from the river. There is a public fishing access there that we can visit.

-Patti
Old 2013-02-18, 6:41am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I have a 14x20, hubby has invaded some of my space and I want it back. I definitely agree on go as big as you can afford. Someone suggested hay storage and glass shop in same building with a divider.... I think thats a horrible idea. you knwo the drill, no flammables around a barn. Its also why I like my shop separated from my home.

Some things I learned as I put my shop in... get LOTS of 4 way outlets wired in, more than you ever think you will need. I had a 220 run in as well since my kiln is 220, make sure the fuse box for the shop is more than you currently need. if you are adding kilns etc etc, it can suck up some power. The longer the run from the main power to the shed, the more expensive. We dug our own trench and saved some money there, but between upgrading the power coming off the main house( we needed a bigger box, old house) and running the power to the shop itself, it was about 3 grand. So where you place the shed may well depend on where the power from the main line is.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2013-02-18, 6:49am
Loving learning

Good point Candice. We ran the power ourselves (DH has the knowledge & skill) but just buying the wire was $300. Copper isn't as expensive as silver or gold, but it isn't cheap either. And I didn't catch hay being flammable, nice catch.
Old 2013-02-18, 8:42am
Temptress

Looks like you have a beautiful place! Did you get snow this last week? I had two separate storms here - 9 inches of snow one day, a complete melt off 2 days later and then another 6 inches. I went up to Billings on Saturday and there was no sign of anything.

Andrea really does live up in the most beautiful part of the state.

Hey Andrea - maybe you should do Summerfair and then we would all have an excuse to get together and have some fun!

Patti - make sure you get an S Bar S rewards card if you don't already have one. The essentially send you gift certificates for use at S Bar S and I've never gone there and not found something that I "need". We got lots of reward $$ back when we were building and fencing out here.

When is your final closing?
Old 2013-02-18, 4:51pm
They see me rollin'...

Ooh, I didn't know about the rewards card! I should get some points for this!

Wow, we didn't get nearly that much snow. It was a couple of inches one day, and maybe another inch after that. It melted really fast.

I was talking with someone the other day and they said that Billings is the Banana Belt. haha

The closing is next Monday! We ordered the loafing sheds yesterday. I'm going to hold off for a week or so on ordering the large shed, since I have to make sure the ground is ready to put the shed on first. I'm going to meet with a fencing guy tomorrow and he might be able to level the ground for me too.

I wondered about getting power to the shed! Luckily it's not too far from the power pole, and I have plenty of power to the whole property...200 amps.

I was lucky and the official shed guy was there yesterday. He recommends putting in a power panel so there is plenty of power in the shed. He also said that they can do 14 feet wide with no problem, so now I'm thinking something like 14' x 20-22'. I priced 14' x 24' and it was just a little more than I was wanting to spend, though I would probably be happier with it in the long run!

Oh, I did ask him about shed vs. pole barn and he said that it would be more money, because if you build a pole barn of course it would be bigger than the shed because it's not cost effective to build a small pole barn instead of a shed. I just think it's going to cost too much, since we still need loafing sheds too.

I would love to get together some time! No idea what Summerfair is, but it sounds like fun.

-Patti
Old 2013-02-18, 5:04pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
I have a 14x20, hubby has invaded some of my space and I want it back. I definitely agree on go as big as you can afford. Someone suggested hay storage and glass shop in same building with a divider.... I think thats a horrible idea. you knwo the drill, no flammables around a barn. Its also why I like my shop separated from my home.

Some things I learned as I put my shop in... get LOTS of 4 way outlets wired in, more than you ever think you will need. I had a 220 run in as well since my kiln is 220, make sure the fuse box for the shop is more than you currently need. if you are adding kilns etc etc, it can suck up some power. The longer the run from the main power to the shed, the more expensive. We dug our own trench and saved some money there, but between upgrading the power coming off the main house( we needed a bigger box, old house) and running the power to the shop itself, it was about 3 grand. So where you place the shed may well depend on where the power from the main line is.
Thanks for the input about the electrical stuff! Yes, I also wanted my shop to be separate from the home. It was different when I had my studio in a cement basement back in St. Louis. That didn't seem as scary.

I might have a 220 put in too, even though I don't have anything that uses 220 at the moment. That might change. There is a 220 in the laundry room, but I'm not sure what good that does...there's not much room in there for anything besides a washer and dryer.

Anyway, I was thinking of putting the carport next to the house and the shed next to that. Now I'm thinking house, shed, carport so the shed can be closer to the power pole, which is on the other side of the house. The carport doesn't need power.

Thanks!

-Patti
Old 2013-02-18, 5:09pm
They see me rollin'...

Oh, I looked up the Summerfair...is it this one?

http://www.virtualmontana.com/montan...ontana8865.htm

I wonder how hard it is to get in the show? I should have some things to sell by then!

BTW, we're going to call our place Red Pony Farm after our pony JJ, who left us way too soon in May. :')

-Patti
Old 2013-02-18, 5:22pm
Loving learning

I'm not sure what you mean by the power pole, but my wire runs from my breaker panel in the garage, not from the power pole. Unless the pole is where your breaker box is, different part of the country so maybe different ways of doing thins? Here the power comes in the house at one point through the meter can, anything we have has to be on the house side of the meter can.

Also, my run was quite long, as my craft shack is 80-100 feet from the house, so we bought a roll of wire because it wasn't much more than buying however many feet less by the foot.
Old 2013-02-18, 5:32pm
Temptress

Here's a better link to Summerfair - http://www.artmuseum.org/special-events/summerfair/
It's the largest show in this area, but that isn't saying much as it is nothing compared to a larger city, but it is a nice show. I don't know how hard it is to get into, but I did great there last year. There are several smaller show that are nice, too, as long as you have Montana expectations. I have a totally different concept on what I expect from shows in state and out of state.
My schedule has been crazy lately, but I should start to have some free time towards the end of next month. I will PM you when I am sure of something. There is a small show at the Billings Nursery (21st & Poly) on the west end on March 16th & 17th (plus a St. Paddys Day Parade downtown if you are into stuff like that). It small but nice and run by nice people. I'll be there for the weekend if you feel like coming by and saying "hi".
I like the name of your farm. May it always bring you happy memories of JJ.
Not trying to be too nosy, but how did you end up in Billings, of all places, anyway? Did you end up with a job here or just pick it out for some other reason?
Old 2013-02-18, 9:35pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by the power pole, but my wire runs from my breaker panel in the garage, not from the power pole. Unless the pole is where your breaker box is, different part of the country so maybe different ways of doing thins? Here the power comes in the house at one point through the meter can, anything we have has to be on the house side of the meter can.

Also, my run was quite long, as my craft shack is 80-100 feet from the house, so we bought a roll of wire because it wasn't much more than buying however many feet less by the foot.
Hmmm, I like craft shack! Yes, there is a light pole outside the house with a breaker box on it. There is a breaker box inside the house too, but the main power is on the pole. I think it's a farm thing.

You're lucky that you knew how to hook it up yourself. I have no clue.

-Patti
Old 2013-02-18, 9:37pm
Loving learning

I don't mess with electricity, if DH hadn't had the background, I would have hired someone. Not something I want to take a chance on being done wrong!
Old 2013-02-18, 9:40pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
Here's a better link to Summerfair - http://www.artmuseum.org/special-events/summerfair/
It's the largest show in this area, but that isn't saying much as it is nothing compared to a larger city, but it is a nice show. I don't know how hard it is to get into, but I did great there last year. There are several smaller show that are nice, too, as long as you have Montana expectations. I have a totally different concept on what I expect from shows in state and out of state.
My schedule has been crazy lately, but I should start to have some free time towards the end of next month. I will PM you when I am sure of something. There is a small show at the Billings Nursery (21st & Poly) on the west end on March 16th & 17th (plus a St. Paddys Day Parade downtown if you are into stuff like that). It small but nice and run by nice people. I'll be there for the weekend if you feel like coming by and saying "hi".
I like the name of your farm. May it always bring you happy memories of JJ.
Not trying to be too nosy, but how did you end up in Billings, of all places, anyway? Did you end up with a job here or just pick it out for some other reason?
Thanks for all the information! I'll have to go to that show at the Billings Nursery. It would be nice to see what local artists are up to.

My daughter and I have wanted to move here for a long time now. Just got divorced in December and it seemed like a good time/place to start over. I'm very fortunate that I'm able to do that.

I do miss the St. Louis glass peeps, though!

-Patti
Old 2013-02-18, 9:46pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
I don't mess with electricity, if DH hadn't had the background, I would have hired someone. Not something I want to take a chance on being done wrong!
Me either! Sadly I have no idea what I am doing, so will have to hire someone for that part.

-Patti
Old 2013-02-20, 1:21pm
honorary bead lady

When I said "POLE BARN" I meant that type of structure not necessarily a "BARN".
I still think if you look at the different configurations of pole buildings and combine the carport and studio you will save money in the long run, you will want power in the carport if for nothing more than a light and a battery charger if the need arises.
Old 2013-02-20, 4:46pm
Temptress

You also have to think about being able to plug your car in in the winter.
Old 2013-02-21, 11:59am
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
You also have to think about being able to plug your car in in the winter.
OH yes I forgot about having to do that when I was in Wyoming
Old 2013-02-22, 8:21pm
Mr. Cellophane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicfire View Post
Thanks for all the information! I'll have to go to that show at the Billings Nursery. It would be nice to see what local artists are up to.

My daughter and I have wanted to move here for a long time now. Just got divorced in December and it seemed like a good time/place to start over. I'm very fortunate that I'm able to do that.

I do miss the St. Louis glass peeps, though!
We miss you too!

Libby

Old 2013-02-23, 12:30pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
When I said "POLE BARN" I meant that type of structure not necessarily a "BARN".
I still think if you look at the different configurations of pole buildings and combine the carport and studio you will save money in the long run, you will want power in the carport if for nothing more than a light and a battery charger if the need arises.
Yes, I thought that was what you meant. I wasn't necessarily going to store the hay in the same space as the studio. Thinking back to lots of farms that I have seen, they often have an overhang off of a metal building or barn where they store their hay and tractor.

I'm still considering what to do. For now we have just ordered loafing sheds and a small shed for tack and feed. One step at a time!

I just really like the idea of a separate shed for my studio, like a little cottage. I think I'll call it a "glass shack" instead of a shedio.

That is correct that I will probably need power to the carport, if I get one. I'm thinking there might be room for a carport on the left side of the house, which would put it near the power pole and I could just run power from there.

Another possible use for the carport (ideally closed on 3 sides) would be a space where I could do messy things like cut wood or mix cement out of the elements. I'm very interested in decorative concrete, but was thinking that it could get really messy, and I don't really want cement dust in the glass area.

Hmmm, lots to think about!

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-02-23 at 12:37pm.
Old 2013-02-23, 12:35pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby L. View Post
We miss you too!
I wish I could teleport back there once in a while!

-Patti
Old 2013-03-02, 5:06pm
They see me rollin'...

Phew! We are officially all moved in! We had to clear out a storage unit, stuff in the horse trailer and RV, and all the stuff in the pod/trailer. It took all week! Now there are boxes everywhere.

Luckily it looks like all my lampworking equipment made the trip in one piece, except maybe for one oxygen concentrator--the case got broken. It hopefully will still work, though.

The loafing sheds and tack shed were delivered on Thursday and they look fantastic! I need to order the "glass shack" asap while I still get the 10% off, so I may do that tomorrow. We spent today clearing out the RV and it took a lot longer than I thought. Who knew that we had so much stuff in there!

Another good thing is that we were able to get internet/TV hooked up Thursday! At first they said we would have to wait 2 weeks, so 2 days was fantastic.

And boy am I tired!! But happy.

One weird thing is that there was no mailbox. So I had to buy one and will have to put it up this weekend if I have the energy.

I think I am going to stick with 12' x 24' for the studio. The vinyl flooring is 12' wide and I don't want to have to patch it. Also, they can deliver it without a pilot truck leading it, since it is narrower--it is not considered an oversize load.

We are having very warm weather here! It was in the 60's 2 days in a row. I love it!

-Patti

-Patti
Old 2013-03-03, 10:25am
Loving learning

I'm so happy for you, it sounds like things are going great!