Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-06-21, 7:11pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Default Candy Jacks Murrini Bead Tutorial

I did a step by step instruction with a video. Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryi4XxEu2Q

And here's the step by step to go with it:

1. Make a clear round spacer out of any good clear. I use Lauscha or Reichenbach 104 but any good clear will work.

2. Put three bumps of clear on top of the bead in a triangle. You're going to stick the murrini to these bumps so make them pretty good sized.

3. Heat up one of the bumps and firmly place the murrini on it. Be sure you've pre heated the murrini a bit in the back of the flame or it may crack.

4. Heat just the face of the murrini slightly. Wait a second then gently press it down ever so slightly. This makes it easier to cover with clear later but keeps it raised enough to get that 3-D look.

5. Grab another rod of clear - the key here is to use SOFT clear. Aether is PERFECT. Effetre is good too if you have a good batch that won't scum up on you. I've tried using the Reichenbach 104 clear and it was way too stiff and pulled the murrini all out of shape. So just make sure it's soft clear.

6. Heat up a pea sized gather of clear at the end of your rod and plop it down on the murrini while making a sort of rotating motion so as to cover as much of the sides of the murrini as you can in one motion before the clear goes too stiff.

ok, I know that part can be tricky but don't despair! We can fix it later with a little clear stringer.

7. Repeat #6 for the other two murrini.

8. Check the sides of the murrini for any bare, unencased spots. Take a little bit of clear stringer and just swipe a bit of clear in those spots.

9. Heat up each bump enough to smooth out the lumpies but not enough to loose the bump at all. Go easy with the heat, there! Not too much.

10. Pop in the kiln! You're done. Now go make a bunch more because they look fabulous in big groups.

I used murrini from www.loriandkim.com .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*f

Old 2010-06-21, 7:17pm
Master Procrastinator

Lori, that's so cool! Now that I received my murrini today I'll have some to try it out with next time I torch. Thanks so much for sharing that!

Old 2010-06-21, 7:19pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Lori, I wubs you

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-06-21, 7:26pm

All because of these fun beads... Thanks for sharing! If I can stop making "tattooed" critters with the murrini I'll give this a shot!

Nikki

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-06-21, 7:44pm

Lori

Thanks for sharing the tutorial it sure looks like it will be fun to try!!! I have lots of your murrini to try it out!!

Becky
Old 2010-06-21, 7:48pm
Enabler

Lori when I got my Jacks from you I fell in love!! Since I got my murrini, I've already made two more sets, and have about another have dozen planned.

Have I told you lately that you rock??

Old 2010-06-21, 7:53pm
Formerly FishBulb

Thank you Lori, this is wonderful! When I first saw those on Etsy I had a jaw-dropping moment. So beautiful! Thank you.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-06-21, 8:15pm
"Sinners have soul too"

OMYGosh Lori! I can't believe you made this a FREE tutorial!?!?
I am so excited! You have no idea! Now I can use up ALL my Lori & Kim murrini!!

AND BUY MORE!!! Whhhoooot!

Old 2010-06-21, 9:04pm
Back to 👊 1

Imma printing the picture just so I can look at it at work! (Is that okay?) There's no way mine could be that "HAPPY"! But see? Now I have to get some "happy" murrini, huh?

Thank you!

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2010-06-21, 9:08pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Awww, you guys are just what I needed this evening .

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-06-21, 9:15pm
"Sinners have soul too"

You have no idea how thrilled I am that you posted this... I wanted desperately to make some of these but just didn't feel "right" about it. Now I can try and make them with wild abandon! I am tickled pink! And just so you know, I would have paid for this little tutorial!

Thank you!!!!

Old 2010-06-21, 9:17pm
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
You have no idea how thrilled I am that you posted this... I wanted desperately to make some of these but just didn't feel "right" about it. Now I can try and make them with wild abandon! I am tickled pink! And just so you know, I would have paid for this little tutorial!

Thank you!!!!
I second this! I tried it once and didn't do the three bumps for the murrini and mine bead looked like crap so I gave up. Thanks Lori for sharing this, I am going to make my Mom a set for her "cruise wear"!

Old 2010-06-21, 9:28pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I just wanted to say that my voice isn't shrill in person. Honestly. :/

Thank you muchly Donna and Nicker! Yes, make many of them!!!

*f

Old 2010-06-21, 9:29pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I wubs you too, Squidly.

*f

Old 2010-06-21, 10:18pm
FireBeads

Thank you! I saw these the other day and thought they were fabulous, wonderful and adorable!!! Your tutorial explains it so well - I'm going to have to give it a go. You are so generous for posting this, again a great big Thank You!
Old 2010-06-21, 10:52pm
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
I just wanted to say that my voice isn't shrill in person. Honestly. :/!
Is too! You forget I've met you LOL

Old 2010-06-22, 1:07am

Thank you so much.
Old 2010-06-22, 3:42am
Knob Creek Glass

Yeah! Thank you.
Old 2010-06-22, 4:00am

Thank you! I can not wait to try this!
Old 2010-06-22, 4:09am
sunscreen me baby

These are so stinkin' cute!! What a gem you are for sharing.

~

Old 2010-06-22, 4:58am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

WooHoo!!! Thank you so much for sharing this! I have to admit I tried just the encasement of the murrini part when I first saw your beautiful, happy jacks - my result was fugalacious (to put it as mildly as possible) and resulted in much mirth from the in-house peanut gallery! I am so glad to be able to try it again the Right Way!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-06-22, 5:35am

Thank you Lori - this looks wonderful!!
Old 2010-06-22, 5:39am

Thank you for sharing this! I just tried to do this on Saturday with some very schmeery results
Old 2010-06-22, 5:57am
Wendy

Thanks so much for sharing this! Now if we can get the sauna here in NC to shut off for a little while maybe I'll give this a try.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2010-06-22, 7:13am
Enabler

Lori I did my "Mocha" murrini on a medium fossil base, then used clear bumps and clear encasing on the murrini. The colored base was just enough to really make the colors in the murrini "pop". You and Kim better get busy, cause as much fun as I'm having with these things, I'm gonna need another big tub of murrini SOON!

Old 2010-06-22, 7:43am

these are so cute!! Thank you so much!
Old 2010-06-22, 7:46am
Bead Imp

Oh wow! Thanks so much for sharing! You're the best-est

Old 2010-06-22, 7:53am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Thanks so much for sharing. I LOVE your candy jacks and your murini
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2010-06-22, 7:55am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeangirlnc View Post
Thanks so much for sharing this! Now if we can get the sauna here in NC to shut off for a little while maybe I'll give this a try.
no kidding!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-06-22, 7:56am

This is so cool and gives me something to try with murrini. I am usually somewhat at a loss as to how to use them in a design lol. This should help me get over my intimidation lol.