The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-05, 11:08pm
More ideas than talent

Default Incompatibility Cracks

Here's a question: (ok a couple).

If a bead has an incompatibility crack, is it likely to fall apart?

Anyone got any experience with this?

I know they're not thermal cracks (My thermal crack beads always split in half anyway)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-05, 11:15pm

I have a thermal crack bead (at least we're pretty sure it's a thermal crack ) of someone else's that I've given a "good home" to that's never actually fallen apart...it's just got a crack that if you look hard enough, you can find it...I've got a couple others that I was RAOGK'd &/or bought (and wish I could remember where they came from--I'd like to let one of the people know about one particular color combo!) that have cracks that have never actually broken apart...
Obviously I won't use them in anything to sell--but they make pretty suncatchers, or stuff for "me" depending on how bad the problems are!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-12-06, 4:00am
sunscreen me baby

That depends on how deep you mixed the glasses. It usually only hazes and possibly crumbles where the glass meets.

~

Old 2006-12-06, 6:36am
A True Woofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
(and wish I could remember where they came from--I'd like to let one of the people know about one particular color combo!)

OK, what's the color combo?

Old 2006-12-06, 7:30am

Hey all,
cracks of incompatibility looks like a spider web all over the bead. This happens if COE 33 / 96 was worked with COE 104. If the temperature is the cause for cracks the bead is parted like a orange by a knife (
glass-diary
Old 2006-12-06, 7:58am
Rose colored glasses…√

The beads I made with the check denim over white are all kinda' cracked now, but they've not fallen apart...as yet. I made my eldest daughter a bracelet with them prior to all the "crackage" and she's still wearing it ALL THE TIME. I keep telling her it's gonna' fall apart on her, but ever true to herself, she hasn't listened.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2006-12-06, 8:14am
yukue fumei

Hi Wendy
I think it depends on how bad it is cracked. I have some beads with incompatibility cracks crumble as I take them off the mandrel and others that have a tiny crack that are just fine and haven't fallen apart even after dropping.

Sometimes even if the COEs are the same, the viscosity may not be and the bead will crack....just had that happen to me yesterday...

nagi

Old 2006-12-06, 8:26am

incompatibility cracks look like a spider web, the temperature cracks like an orange whích is cutted with a knife in two. Don`t use COE 96, 93, 33 with COE 104 and you will get wonderful results.
glass-diary
Old 2006-12-06, 3:00pm
More ideas than talent

I used four or five different transparant blues and moretti clear- all 104 COE. They would have been Vetrofond and Moretti. No idea which ones would have been which. They were on an ivory base with foil and silver wire. Out of 16 beads, 4 got compatibility cracks 254 hours after annealing. 3 days later I haven't had any more cracks so I'm wondering if it was one of the Transparent blues that was the issue. The light transparent blues that I used came from about 3 different suppliers so I'm wondering (given that only 4 cracked) if one of those was the problem.

That leads to another question. The glass crackle beads you see in bead shops - I've always assumed they are cracks. Wouldn't you expect those to fall apart at some point?

Old 2006-12-06, 3:08pm
sunscreen me baby

Those crackle beads do fall apart easily. I dropped a bracelet on the ground and a couple shattered. I learned my lesson.

~

Old 2006-12-06, 3:12pm
Tinder Bloom Studio

You can achieve crackle effect in hot glass(off hand) by plunging very quickly your seriously hot moving piece into a bucket of water and the surface skin crackles but the the rest of the glass does not. I imagine crackle beads are achieved by a similar technique.

Some colors can be incompatable even with the same COE. Those cracks usually look like a craze going through the area affected. It all depends how your work your heat and annealing schedule.

Disclaimer: I know these things from working in studio glass. I have not flameworked in a loong time(hopefully next week I will again!!)

Last edited by FlameFilly; 2006-12-06 at 3:15pm.
Old 2006-12-07, 8:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
OK, what's the color combo?
a deep trans olive, something that *may* be edp, or something that's somewhat similar (pinky/purpley) & it the olive has completely cracked over it...it *was* a lovely bead...supposed to be a focal for a piece for my sister...um, it's so *not* now...I took it out a few months after I got it to work it into jewelry & discovered it had massive fractures...don't know if it's a massive incompatibility, OR if it was never annealed
Don't have a *clue* who I got the bead from (rare for that to happen--I know where at least 95% of my lampwork came from--yes, even the spacers!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies