Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-01-15, 4:37pm
Astro Cat

Default physics of implosions

I was wondering if anyone could explain the physics of the implosion? I'd appreciate feedback on both varieties (made from hollow rod vs solid). I had a class last weekend and saw both done and did make one with the solid rod that is so-so. I have also tried it a few times in soft glass with a basic rod of clear with varying amounts of success. I realize it take a lot more practice than I have but I'm curious as to the physics to help me understand it better. I can't help it, I'm a scientist LOL!
Old 2010-01-15, 7:07pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I've spent many happy hours thinking about this. Really...

I've thought that whenever a mixture gets heated up enough it begins to flow around in the container that's holding it. I figure it flows around because the entire mixture (ok-glass rod) doesn't get heated up evenly. So, say you make a thick maria and put 3 colored dots on it -like if you were laying down stamens. Implode them a little and then put a dot of clear over each colored dot. Implode the clear dots. Put colored dots over the clear dots. Implode them and then cover them with clear etc. making a . . . . . . .
dotted line in your marble. Now you can see how the glass flowed. I'd say the glass flows from the edge of the maria to the center of the maria and then up into the maria in a circular flow.

Now, this is the good part. You can control how far the dot will move, like you could do a flower implosion with the flower in the lower part of the marble (where it gets magnified real well) or in the upper part of the marble.

Well, this is the way I think it works, but I don't know this for a fact, so don't hesitate to chime in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-15, 8:26pm
ManBearPig

The physics are pretty simple. Colored glass is stiffer than clear glass, so the clear gets softer quicker than the color. That's why it implodes.

That's also the reason it's harder to do in soft glass - soft glass clear is stiff, solid colors are softer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-15, 8:43pm
Never give up

I know all about how hard it is with soft glass. I have made plenty of them some look good others not so good. Now that I understand how it was works. It got me thinking, what would happen if I encased the solid colors with clear. Thanks for the idea. Will just have to try it.
Old 2010-01-15, 9:31pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady View Post
I know all about how hard it is with soft glass. I have made plenty of them some look good others not so good. Now that I understand how it was works. It got me thinking, what would happen if I encased the solid colors with clear. Thanks for the idea. Will just have to try it.
I'm not sure. I have made some with Lauscha clear (which is softer than regular 104 clear) and used furnace glass frit, and it worked pretty well. I would think that encasing solids with transparents would work too.

But, there are many people who make very nice soft glass flower marbles (DanG on this board being the first that comes to mind) so it's obviously possible. Unfortunately I have never done it, so I can't be any help...

Old 2010-01-15, 11:48pm
Borovangelist

I find it helps me to think of them like those balloon-type water snake toys. Remember those? Basically it was a water filled balloon that could slide over itself (http://www.windycitynovelties.com/68...?s_cid=nxt6863)

You apply the colored dots to the bottom, heat, and slide some of the glass over itself, pulling the bottom up inside.

|
|
Old 2010-01-16, 5:32am
boro color bender

Very good visual Tom... sometimes different viscosity will change how it implodes, but heat, gravity and compressions is what really allows it to implode... you can implode the same glass... to demonstrate this, just fume a maria and put clear dots on it... same viscosity and it still works it's magic... once you figure out how things are moving and what you need to do to control it, it gets really fun... some of the control is just heat placement and subtle changes in angle...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-01-16, 11:37am
Astro Cat

Thanks everyone, you are awesome! I hadn't at all thought about the stiffness of the clear vs colored glasses. I had noticed the reverse being true between soft glass and hard glass though.
Old 2010-01-16, 12:14pm
Bust It Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
Very good visual Tom... sometimes different viscosity will change how it implodes, but heat, gravity and compressions is what really allows it to implode... you can implode the same glass... to demonstrate this, just fume a maria and put clear dots on it... same viscosity and it still works it's magic... once you figure out how things are moving and what you need to do to control it, it gets really fun... some of the control is just heat placement and subtle changes in angle...
But its not the same glass, You have just introduced a layer or multiple layers of silver & or gold. Which obviously changes the chemistry a bit, making it stiffer (possibly) at the dots laid. It's is concievable that part of the physics is directly related to the chemistry of the mediums.

Old 2010-01-16, 2:28pm
Pyromaniac

Tom hit the nail on the head I think... That's basically how it works...

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-01-16, 4:56pm

I have been playing with implosions this week. I keep getting a hole in the center and when I press it flattens the top. Any suggestions how to avoid the hole without cooling the maria off over and over by pressing a bunch? Does this make sense?

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-01-16, 5:03pm
Never give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I'm not sure. I have made some with Lauscha clear (which is softer than regular 104 clear) and used furnace glass frit, and it worked pretty well. I would think that encasing solids with transparents would work too.

But, there are many people who make very nice soft glass flower marbles (DanG on this board being the first that comes to mind) so it's obviously possible. Unfortunately I have never done it, so I can't be any help...
I know DanG makes beautiful soft glass flower marbles I love them. Wish I was that good.
Old 2010-01-16, 8:12pm
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post
I have been playing with implosions this week. I keep getting a hole in the center and when I press it flattens the top. Any suggestions how to avoid the hole without cooling the maria off over and over by pressing a bunch? Does this make sense?
Work HOT, with a penetrating flame. Think GTT, not barracuda if that makes sense. If you're working as hot as you can, try heating the face of the maria. Check here for more. Brad is the master.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-01-16, 9:39pm

Perfect! Thank you. Great tutorial!
Now I just need more heat...

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-01-17, 2:51am
product of the universe

I found soft glass to be easier at first, and then what i learned from the soft helped out my boro. Now they're about the same.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-01-17, 5:05am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzglass View Post
But its not the same glass, You have just introduced a layer or multiple layers of silver & or gold. Which obviously changes the chemistry a bit, making it stiffer (possibly) at the dots laid. It's is concievable that part of the physics is directly related to the chemistry of the mediums.
True... it's not exactly the same viscosity with that thin layer of silver or gold... but it's damn close. I was just pointing out that the viscosity difference may do something to change how fast the color moves up into the clear... but it by no means makes an implosion "possible". The implosion will happen with two glasses that are the exact same viscosity... it's all due to the repeated movement of the molten material. Allowing the maria with a design on it to fatten up stretches the dots or lines. Then the compression to bring the maria back into shape causes movement inside the glass to get it to "bloom". Repeating the steps, until you get the amount of "bloom" you want gives you an "implosion".

If you're smooshing your design, the whole maria is not hot enough. If the half of your maria closer to the rod is a lot stiffer than the back end (where the color is), when you flatten it, the top stiffer clear smooshes the color side. You want everything that isn't rod to be hot and flowing... the same amount of heat in all of it... this way the color can move freely and your implosion will have a lot more depth.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-01-17, 3:30pm
Torchaholic ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Work HOT, with a penetrating flame. Think GTT, not barracuda if that makes sense. If you're working as hot as you can, try heating the face of the maria. Check here for more. Brad is the master.

Awesome tutorial! Thanks. I had a breakthrough last night w/ implosions and now with this new info, I should be good to go. Thanks!

ps-Attached a pic, of my implosion pendant, Im a newbie (bout a three weeks with my own torch up and running ) and this is one of my best pendants yet. I cant wait to expand on and play with this technique. The first was a caculated accident! lol
Attached Images

Old 2010-01-27, 6:09am

Want to see the master at implosions.

http://www.kobukiglass.com/mableinfo.html

Still in awe everytime I visit his site ... can't wait to one day just be able to watch much less take a class! Enjoy the eye candy!
Old 2010-01-27, 6:19am
Jamaican Me Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassshack View Post
Want to see the master at implosions.

http://www.kobukiglass.com/mableinfo.html

Still in awe everytime I visit his site ... can't wait to one day just be able to watch much less take a class! Enjoy the eye candy!
wow I have never seen anything like that, I am absolutley amazed. Thanks for the link

Pete
soft glass noob
Old 2010-01-27, 6:20pm
Astro Cat

lovely!!
Old 2010-01-28, 5:23am
old fart

the actual physics is "emissivity". it is a parameter that measures the ability of a material to absorb or give off heat using radiation heat transfer. clear glass has a low emissivity and thus it is slow to heat up but also slow to cool off. but colored glass is quick to heat up and quick to cool down because it has a larger cooeficient of emissivity. so it is not "stiffer" as has been previously mentioned, it is actually cooler and thus partially frozen with a much different viscosity because it is cooler. so when you smash it, the cold blobs are forced down and the more runny hotter clear glass is forced out the side. then when you reheat, the surface tension of glass wants to draw the flat shape into a sphere so it draws the clear glass that was forced out, into the center and leaves the dark glass in place making it sink into the glass, or implode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emissivity

http://www.monarchserver.com/TableofEmissivity.pdf

Last edited by laserglass; 2010-01-28 at 6:29am.
Old 2010-01-28, 2:16pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post
the actual physics is "emissivity". it is a parameter that measures the ability of a material to absorb or give off heat using radiation heat transfer. clear glass has a low emissivity and thus it is slow to heat up but also slow to cool off. but colored glass is quick to heat up and quick to cool down because it has a larger cooeficient of emissivity. so it is not "stiffer" as has been previously mentioned, it is actually cooler and thus partially frozen with a much different viscosity because it is cooler. so when you smash it, the cold blobs are forced down and the more runny hotter clear glass is forced out the side. then when you reheat, the surface tension of glass wants to draw the flat shape into a sphere so it draws the clear glass that was forced out, into the center and leaves the dark glass in place making it sink into the glass, or implode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emissivity

http://www.monarchserver.com/TableofEmissivity.pdf
No way I'll be able to explain that in a class, so I'm sticking with the colored glass being stiffer...

Old 2010-01-28, 4:16pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Somewhere there is an artform wherein one gives a simple plain language explanation that actually means something, when explaining a highly complex technical concept.

I do not know who practices that artform.

And I hate the people that don't really care what the answer is but ask the question anyways.

Pardon me - just venting...

Old 2010-01-28, 6:36pm
Astro Cat

Honestly, I was asking the question because I started to try to do implosions and thought it could help me do them better if I understood what was going on. I read the wonderful tutorial on 'Anakin's Glass Eye' and other tutorials and also watched Stephan Hagstrom's turtle implosion DVD. I have up to a few months ago worked only in soft glass and came up with a few somewhat imploded flowers and a few things where I seemingly only melted the dots into the glass! I've had a little more success in the past few weeks - I'll post my newbie implosions when I get a chance
Old 2010-01-29, 1:50pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Sorry. I wasn't referring to you asking the question, but to the general public that is always saying 'How do you do that?' Anyways, I'd like to see some of your new implosions. Doing flower implosions is exciting, especially if you manage to get the petals and leaves to come together nicely at the bottom, because then you don't have to melt in a ton of dots to decorate the back!

Old 2010-01-29, 2:31pm
Astro Cat

I will definitely post them. thanks everyone so much for your help. I can't help that a fraction of my brain is constantly thinking how can I do this better?? (glasswork)
Old 2010-01-30, 12:57am
Astro Cat

Well, I wouldn't call these flowers - but these are the first implosions I did after my class.
Attached Images

Old 2010-01-30, 1:01am
Astro Cat

I know I've got a lot of work ahead of me, not only on the implosion part but definitely learning good loops
Old 2010-01-30, 8:21am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Those sure look like flowers to me. Just because they didn't come out exactly like the pictures in your mind does not mean that they are bad flowers.

Last summer I went to a multi-acre tropical nursery here in Florida. Pretty much everything was in bloom, and I spent a long time examining many of the individual flowers. The variety of what nature produces is so incredibly immense. Basically if you can come up with what you think is an original design for a flower, nature's already got that flower somewhere on the planet. I saw so many flowers that had me thinking 'Gee, if I made an implosion that came out like that I would think I totally blew it.' Did you ever make a flower that you think looks more like a cartoon than a flower, and have someone say 'Hey, I saw a real flower that looked just like that the other day.' (this never happened to me, but it's a pleasantly interesting daydream). Anyways, whichever way the glass flows, just keep melting it!

Old 2010-01-30, 10:36am
Astro Cat

thanks for the kind words and encouragement! they are much appreciated!