Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-07-22, 8:39pm

Thanks for sharing how to make your beautiful opals Amber, this is so generous of you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-07-23, 6:56am

Amber, Thank you so much for this, you are always so helpful. I would buy a Hot Head Tutorial form you in a heartbeat, you do amazing work.
Old 2010-07-23, 7:08am

Default results

Just started an "Amber's opal tut" thread in the Gallery:

First of all - thanks to Amber (aka Naos) for posting a FREE tut in the library tutorials section. It was mentioned in the thread that it might be nice to have a thread of results. I hope there isn't another one already...

I had a lot of fun experimenting with the tut yesterday, and am really looking forward to a promised tut that Amber is working on relating to Hot Head methods.

Since I use a Hot Head (on 1 lb canisters of Mapp), I was particularly interested in this tut and made the first few beads just as the tut says - no special reduction and using Ekho (right side of photo). They did not seem to be developing any irridescence (3 Ekho beads on the right and first 2 Clio beads on the right), so I tried the same thing with Clio - same deal with a touch of irridescence. So I pm'd Amber to see if she reduces at all before encasing, and she answered "no" (thanks again!)

But thinking that somehow there's not as much gas in my flame - maybe the Mapp or the distance I work from the flame or how low I have my torch turned or the alignment of the moon with the planets or.....I decided to reduce slightly. I do this with my hot head by wafting the bead in a quick turn through the very base (blue area ) of the flame. I didn't close off any holes with foil etc the way I do when I really want to reduce. This brought about the irridescence and I'm pleased with the results. I really liked the Clio so there are more reduced ones of that glass on the left. On the far right there's one bead with some dabs of teal on top of the Ekho. This has some possibilities I'd like to explore further as well.
Old 2010-07-23, 7:18am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

YAY! I commented in the thread (the beads are gorgeous) - but thanks for adding some more tips, Vicki! I haven't used MAPP in years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-07-23, 9:20am
SierraCatz

Thank you so much Amber for posting this free tutorial...I have always admired your beads and your willingness to share your info. When I was new to LE several years ago I had questions about silver wire and you very willingly shared your info with a "newbie" via email..I very much appreciated your generosity and by your example, I have tried to do the same for other new lampworkers that come to me for info..

Thanks again

Barbara -
"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea!" Unknown
Old 2010-07-23, 9:33am

Please post videos on YouTube just to make sure that we're twirling in the right direction.

Thanks Amber...great tutorial
Old 2010-07-23, 10:43am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

The results are coming in! Check out this thread in the gallery:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=169599

Old 2010-07-23, 4:15pm
Puddy Cat Lover

Thank you for sharing this tut Amber!!! I think that Ekho is one of the few glass colors from DH that I don't have. But not for long.

J.

Old 2010-07-23, 8:24pm

I have had my Ekho for months and been afraid to try it. Just made my first bead and it is awesome!! THANK YOU so much!!
Old 2010-07-23, 10:59pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Drats!!! Just checked my stash and NO "Ekho" nor "Clio" I do have some Aion 2...any idea what happens with this color? I'm gonna try it anyway and see what happens. They will probably be light on the color side, but hoping to have SOME sort of cool reaction!

Who's tried this Tutorial so far? Anyone starting up a Gallery "Show Your Results of Amber's Fire Opal Tutorial" Thread yet? I can't wait to see 'em come flowing in...
DeAnne, you can also try Aurae. If you have a look in the "Fire Opal" Gallery thread, I posted a couple of beads with silver colors that are not Clio or Ekho.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-07-24, 8:34am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Thank you for your tut Amber... very good and so kind of you.

Jack

Old 2010-07-24, 1:45pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

This is one of my fav beads of yours! Thanks so much for sharing the technique!

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2010-07-24, 6:36pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I just love these beads and will be trying it tomorrow. Thanks so much for sharing.

Old 2010-07-24, 7:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clan tabby View Post
ah, yes, and stick your tongue out at the right angle, squint your eyes just right, & only breathe shallowly through one nostril. Ok, gotcha.
omg lol!!! Love this!!!

Old 2010-07-24, 7:09pm

Thanks Amber...can't wait to try. I had everything right when I was trying to figure out what you did....except for the Ekho. I thought it was Clio. Thanks for sharing the secret. =)

Old 2010-07-25, 1:23am

Thanks so much for your generous sharing, Amber.

Birdy
Old 2010-07-26, 12:45am
LunaMoth

Thanks so much Amber, as soon as I'm feeling better, I'll try this!! kg Patrice
Old 2010-07-26, 12:54pm
Cake for me too please

Thanks so much for sharing this with us. It is such a great idea and such beautiful beads. My bead making friends and I got together yesterday and had a blast! All with wonderful results.
Old 2010-07-26, 1:29pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

You're welcome!

Old 2010-07-26, 3:50pm
Cosmo and Bayley's Mom

Wow, Amber, those beads are GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing how you make them!

Old 2010-07-27, 1:01pm
Glass my new Obsession

Going to try this as soon as I get some silver foil!

Old 2010-07-28, 3:10am
Bonkers about glass.....

Thanks Amber, I will be trying this, but with leaf. (Fingers crossed, but not while I'm making the bead!).
Old 2010-07-28, 7:58am
Dancing Moon Shadows

I tried this out yesterday and made a big 'ole 1-1/2" lentil. I can't wait to open my kiln this morning.

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2010-07-29, 11:56am

How lovely and so generous of you to share your knowledge, those beads are wonderful!
Now I just need some Ekho or Clio. ( any excuse!) I can try Aurae next time I get to my torch

Thank you, Amber.

You can't shine if you don't burn
Old 2010-07-29, 12:47pm

Amber is always so generous with her knowledge. Quite a while ago she gave me the secret to getting that wonderful sprinkling of silver on beads. Thanks again Amber, it's still one of my favorite techniques.
Old 2010-07-29, 3:36pm
offically down under

Thank you so much for this tutorial. Your generosity in doing this shows what all of us should try to measure up to. This is a way better explanation that some of the for purchase tutorials that are out there and the possibilities are endless. Thank you again.

Even though I melted in the ekho AND reduced it, I am still very pleased with the results. (It always said on my report card, "does not follow directions")
Attached Images

Old 2010-07-29, 4:00pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Tammy - they're beautiful! I really like the blues and greens you got!

If anything, I was hoping people would play with the glass more and I've learned a lot, too - There are different base glasses to use that I would've never thought of, plus more silver glass that can produce the opal effect - it's great!

Old 2010-07-31, 3:26pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Oh Amber, how cool of you to share this ! I will surely try to play with it this week!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2010-07-31, 3:30pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Hey Amber, still having fun with the opals!!! Think one of these has your name on it though...............................

Prolly need your address!

~
~
~
Old 2010-07-31, 3:37pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Lea, these are so fabulous!
Really love the first one, because you got such a different effect!

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->