LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-05-13, 8:41am
Never too Old to Learn!

Default Anyone using Solar Power in workshop?

I am getting ready to move my glass work out into a workshop away from house. There is no electric available right now. I am thinking of installing small solar power grid to run lights, stereo, and small items. I would love to be able to run ventilation fan also. I am going to use Propane generator for all of my heavy needs, like the kilns. Hate to fire up generator for lights and such. I do fusing and have just started some lampworking and enameling. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
Dan
Old 2012-05-13, 1:28pm
shirts

I actually spoke to some solar power experts in the winter about using it in the studio. Based on what I told him, he said that it would be EXTREMELY expensive (upwards of $20,000CAN) to get enough panels and batteries to power up the studio... We crossed that idea off the list pretty fast. I imagine that it would probably be much more cost effective to run the electrical out.
I'd be interested to know what you end up doing!
Annie.
Old 2012-05-13, 2:21pm
Never too Old to Learn!

Yes, when I was looking into doing the whole studio and what watt usage was required, I knew it would be too expensive to run kilns and other bigger items. I figured that the propane generator 7000w would do the trick. But I want something to do lights and other small items without kicking on the generator. I have looked at a lot of videos online, but always looking for advice. I will let you know what I come up with.
Old 2012-05-14, 12:18pm
Salt Box Beads

http://faqsolarpower.org/home-solar-...ower-7162.html

Here is some very interesting reading, I am looking into all of the different avenues also.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-05-14 at 6:45pm.
Old 2012-05-15, 6:08pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

You might want to look into 12v lighting, similar to what RVs use. We considered it for my shedio - you can run lights off a couple of batteries or one of those car-starter boxes, then charge either the batteries or the starter box off the generator when it's running.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-05-16, 4:13am
Never too Old to Learn!

Pat, I have given 12v lighting a thought and might end up there. It is funny that it was after I started looking at all the studios that were being built or renovated that I decided I had better get cracking on my own. My wife says my glass, kilns, glass saws and grinders need to go. I have taken over at least half of her small area and she keeps getting more tools. She has kicked me to the curb, well actually kicked me to the back yard. Your pics of your shedio are great. I love getting great hints and suggestions from the boards.

Thanks to you all,
Dan