Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-03-21, 11:51am

Default Buying a ventilation system - Australia

There are a lot of numbers and figures and charts on ventilation (thanks Dale!) But, is it possible to buy a system? Anyone know of places in Sydney, Australia? I don't feel entirely confident that I can cobble something together. Surely there must be someone out there making them?? I've been round in circles googling stuff and come up with this maybe?

http://www.elanair.com.au/userfiles/canopy_img1.jpg

But then I read something about welding systems not begin adequate for the toxic fumes...? Also looks rather expensive...
Old 2013-03-23, 10:18pm
I fart diamonds

Probably much easier to put something together. Mine only took a few minutes to put together and cost less than $100 (I got a really good deal on the fan). It's an inline hydroponics fan with rigid flexible ducting venting out a window blocked with foam board. There's a photo here: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...02&postcount=9

You would be able to build the same kind of vent for under $200.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-03-24, 12:27am

Thanks Shawnette! I've been doing eats more research, just worried I won't get a good enough fan...
Old 2013-03-24, 5:49am
I fart diamonds

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-INCH-23...-/251172606621

Old 2013-04-07, 5:06am

Hello Juls,
If you try Hare and Forbes P/L they have excellent cetrifugal fans for sawdust extraction systems, and I think they sell them separately from their systems. hope this is useful. Terry.
Old 2013-04-07, 9:36am
Salt Box Beads

If you are going to have the fan in the studio it is a good idea to check the decibel ratings, some of those fans sound like a jet engine at take off!!

I have a squirrel cage blower fan and it is on the outside because if the darn noise.
Old 2013-04-09, 6:41pm

Default Portable extraction units

Has anyone used a portable extraction unit? Would that do the job? The windows in my studio are really big and only one has been fixed to open, so I'm looking for an alternative to fitting it into the window and blocking up the rest of the space. (I can't figure out how to make my image small enough to post)

Thanks Terry, I'll check out Hare and Forbes P/L too!

Last edited by juls mei; 2013-04-09 at 6:47pm.
Old 2013-04-10, 6:56pm

Unhappy How can I instal extraction in my studio??

Here is an image on the windows in my studio. They are quite large and only one of them opens at the moment (with a windy handle), which would be the main source of my make-up air. It's a converted (or not-so, as the case may be) office space on the second floor and the door leads to a common space, with not real windows that open. There is also air con throughout...

I'm not sure how I would put a fan in and block off the rest of the window as other people have done. The studio has installed a bathroom fan in the window on the left, by somehow cutting into the window itself...As I'd have to replace the window when I left, I'm trying to avoid doing this. It also seems like a big job I'd have to pay someone to do...
Attached Images