Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-10-24, 10:41pm
Focus?

Wow! you are a lucky lady! I have serious studio envy your setup looks awesome!!
question: where did you get the holders for your glass rods?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A-62

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-10-25, 2:56am

Jingle, I went to a local farm and garden business and had them special order the fence rail.
Old 2010-10-25, 5:15am

WoW!!! That is one awesome space to work in. Congrats!!!

Old 2010-10-27, 10:16am
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I'm soooo jealous! That studio is exactly what I want, since I also do stained glass. Do you rent your husband out? lol. It all looks so perfect! What size is your actual studio part of the building? We just moved to FL and I'm getting ready to buy a metal building for my studio. I'm thinking I'm going to steal a lot of your ideas.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2010-10-28, 3:52am

Tillie, the studio space is 15' by 15'. We actually built a large pole barn, 40' by 16' and I have the back portion, totally separate with a permanent wall and separate entrance. I love it!! Good luck with yours, and if you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.
Lori
Old 2010-10-29, 9:22am

Beautiful space!!!!! And light is so great!!!
Old 2010-11-02, 9:21am

absolutely beautiful! My humble shop bows in its presence may you have many creative moments and sales to prove it!! congratulations!!

maryc
Old 2010-11-02, 10:02am
**Nikki Mouse**

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorleek View Post
Thanks to my husband, I now have the studio of my dreams!!
WOW!!! Awesome studio! Is that a LARGE kiln on the left cabinet??? If so..... I saw something like it a while back... and have not been able to find anything like it since. Do you mind if I ask where you purchased it???

Thanks and happy torching!

~
~
~ SRA #R67 ~ SRAJD #2852 ~ ISGB #11420 ~ MiniCC/OxyconEX15
Old 2010-11-02, 11:02am

Nikki, that is a wonderful Glass Hive Kiln from Mike at http://www.theglasshive.com/. I have the Wide Guy and love it!
Old 2010-11-29, 9:32am
Redbearmountain

Must be nice! Way cool! Your husband did a wonderful job! Just totally awesome! Love your glass rack!
Old 2010-11-29, 10:49am
Salt Box Beads

Glasstastic!!! I would hit the estate sales and buy a nice comfy chair to sit in.

That way you can save a little and buy more stuff for the studio!.

God Job!
Old 2010-11-29, 4:58pm

Lori, AWESOME studio!! Your hubby did an incredible job! I second what Ofilia said. He could get quite a few takers if he thought about selling any of those glass cabinets. I also really like the open, airy feel to all the pics you've posted...and look!! there's room for even MORE glass

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2010-11-29, 5:01pm

Quote:
Nikki, that is a wonderful Glass Hive Kiln from Mike at http://www.theglasshive.com/. I have the Wide Guy and love it!
I have the smallest Glasshive kiln...I absolutely LOVE it!!

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2010-11-29, 7:27pm

Thanks to all, for your supportive comments! I am still loving the space, and yes, there is room for more glass, but I think I need a second cabinet. I will have to break that one very gently to hubby . . .

We have discussed him making cabinets, but honestly it took him too much time and the fence alone was way too expensive. Add the wood, then shipping on top of that - there are definitely cheaper ways to go. But I do love it!!!!!
Old 2010-12-14, 7:04pm

WOW!!! Super nice studio!
Old 2010-12-16, 9:59am

Great looking studio! Glad to see a fellow Michigander doing it right. Thanks for your little comment about the pvc fence, I knew I'd recognized the rectangular pvc, just couldn't place it. Now I know what to get for roll-free storage.
Old 2011-03-03, 1:19pm

Location: Liechtenstein (a tiny country located in Europe, next to Switzerland)

where did you get those tubes from that you store your glass rods in? I'm looking for something like that too!!
Old 2011-05-04, 8:15pm

I'm going to save these pics and show my husband. It is beautiful!!!!!

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2011-05-07, 10:08am

That's the prettiest glass studio I've ever seen!

What surface material are you using for the backsplash behind the torch & the counter?

|
Old 2011-05-07, 1:06pm
Fire n Sand Glass Art

Love it Lori, wonderful space! Noticed you're only about 20-25 miles from me, how are you going to heat it in the winter?

~
~
~
~
Old 2011-05-10, 8:19am

For the backsplash, I mounted wonderboard with about an inch gap between it and the back wall. Just covered it with ceramic tile that matches the counter top, grouted and wood framed the edge. Pretty easy to do, and it stays plenty cool enough while keeping heat off the back wall.

Karen, heating is the big question mark. We insulated it fairly well, and the kiln helps to keep it warm in the winter, but I found this past winter it wasn't quite warm enough in January/February to torch for very long. I tried a small electric heater, but I need to find something that kicks out a little more heat.
Old 2011-05-10, 11:22am
Fire n Sand Glass Art

Quote:
For the backsplash, I mounted wonderboard with about an inch gap between it and the back wall. Just covered it with ceramic tile that matches the counter top, grouted and wood framed the edge. Pretty easy to do, and it stays plenty cool enough while keeping heat off the back wall.

Karen, heating is the big question mark. We insulated it fairly well, and the kiln helps to keep it warm in the winter, but I found this past winter it wasn't quite warm enough in January/February to torch for very long. I tried a small electric heater, but I need to find something that kicks out a little more heat.
Dh put in an industrial gas furnace/blower that hangs from the ceiling in the pole barn. He can keep it 70º in there if he wants. Wondering if they make really small units like it. Have seen those gas wall units too, that might be enough for the dead of winter up here.

~
~
~
~
Old 2011-05-10, 2:15pm

Studio looks incredible! Nice and open with lots of light too!
Old 2011-05-10, 3:23pm

What a lovely, open and bright space. You are a lucky lady to have a husband who would give you such a sweet gift. I hope you enjoy many happy hours getting the place messy!

Old 2011-05-10, 9:46pm

Quote:
Thanks to my husband, I now have the studio of my dreams!!
You now have the studio of my dreams too! lol! That is a gorgeous space. Very inspiring! Congratulations!
Old 2011-05-11, 2:38am
Happy Beadmaker!

Lori's OP was dated 10/16/10 of beautiful new studio all spiffy & clean. I vote we get to see CURRENT pics of how she's progressed!!!!

Just say'n!!!
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2011-05-11, 6:19am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea Zinke View Post
Lori's OP was dated 10/16/10 of beautiful new studio all spiffy & clean. I vote we get to see CURRENT pics of how she's progressed!!!!

Just say'n!!!
Lea
Lea!

Old 2011-05-11, 3:34pm

Awesome! You & your DH did a fantastic job! Now have lots of creative fun in there!
ginger
Old 2011-05-11, 4:01pm
birdergirl ~o~

This is just WRONG!! Don't you have some 6' x 9' walk~thru you can squeeze a studio into???
Other than that WOW!!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2011-05-17, 1:12pm

LOL! Lea, I will try to get pictures this weekend, but mostly it stays fairly organized and clean out there. I do far better there than in my house! I have been sick the past two weeks but hoping to get out there again this coming weekend, and mess it up again!

Lori