Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2008-10-07, 7:09am

Default Check my work & website please!

Newbie in that I started creating lampwork beads in March. One lesson and mostly self-taught. The website was created by DH and that was a first for him too. We know that our pix quality needs some help, and we are trying to correct that.

Seeking honest feedback on beads and finished necklaces again (I think I asked for feedback on focals when we started this project), but didn't hear much, which I took to mean that nobody was incredibly impressed! LOL

Help please!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-07, 10:48am

you need to put the links for contact and gallery at the top, like right under your banner, because it makes it more visible to see it.

Andrew

Old 2008-10-07, 11:12am

Thank you for that...that's what I keep telling my DH!!! Now you've given me some ammunition! LOL

Old 2008-10-07, 5:20pm

Anybody else???

Old 2008-10-08, 6:59am

I also thought that you might need the buttons up to the top or side so people want to go visit your gallery. You have to scroll down to far to get to the buttons. The way you have it laid out is nice. I like the banner. Is there a way to scroll between the frames backward without going to the gallery start page all over again?
I think your work is very awesome you should be proud.
Old 2008-10-08, 12:50pm

Thanks for the nice compliment...I am my own worst critic so I appreciate it...although, I am also open to critiques too!

I agree about the difficulty in getting to the "gallery" button. I've already mentioned it to my "web master" who also happens to be my DH. Gotta tread lightly to avoid hurting his feelings, but that is definitely something I want him to fix! He has been so awesome about learning to create the website! Thanks for the feedback...I appreciate it VERY much!

Old 2008-10-08, 8:26pm
Susan

Rudy, Hi I thought your site was very sophisticated. I love your necklace photo layout. They seem almost musical and flowing to me the way you have them. My only complaint would be that when I come to your home page, the pictures seem small and very spread apart. Almost disconnected. I completely understand how it is to be our own worst critic but I think you are definitely moving in the right direction.

Old 2008-10-23, 7:29am

You need to move the navigation to the top. Since you have space you may want to make the navigation include your gallery subcategories. Also your best pictures should be on your home page I would personally put pictures of your jewelry on the home page. It will fill up some of the empty space and make the website look more complete. On the gallery page I would put the title of the category above its image so it seems like they go together better. Wonderful beads by the way.

Last edited by Jgiovacchini; 2008-10-23 at 7:33am. Reason: Forgot something
Old 2008-10-29, 5:45am

Hi Jgiovacchini, thanks for the feedback! I finally moved the navigation guide to the top of the page...much better!!!!!! I really like your ideas...thanks so much!

Old 2008-10-29, 3:12pm
szglassy

That looks great for a first timer!
What program/template/company are you using?
nice and clean

maybe there is hope for some first timer web site builders ( like me)
Old 2008-10-30, 4:13pm

Hi all,

My husband put the website together so I just asked him. Here is his answer: "It's all FREE."

He used: Kompozer (free) to build the website, Filezilla (free) to transfer the files to the hosting site, and Gimp (free) to edit photos.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me. I'll pass questions on to the love of my life!!!! : - ))))

Old 2008-11-06, 5:06am

Hello Rudy,
I just noticed your thread, so I went to have a look. I have a rather large resolution on my screen (here at work), and I have attached a screen shot of what your site looks like. Sorry it has to be so small, but you can see that some of the pictures are out of place.
I don't know much html, so I have no advise about how to fix it, except that I use a lot of tables and windows myself, to keep things in place.
I know it is not easy to build a website. I am working on my own these days, it needs a revamp.

Good luck
Lene
Attached Images

~
Old 2008-11-06, 8:16am

Oh my gosh...that's NOT good. Hmmmm, I'll pass this on to my DH. I just pulled it up on my work computer and it looks fine....very interesting! Thanks for letting me know!