Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2011-02-23, 10:58am

Default Aperture 3 for Mac - any experience?

I'm looking at getting a new computer this spring and have been looking at the MacBooks, mainly because of they are supposedly much better for photo-editing. One of the options I have is to get the Mac photo-editing softwear Aperture 3 pre-installed on the computer. Does anyone have any experience/opinions about both the MacBook vs a Windows computer in general and about the Aperture 3 program?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-02-23, 11:07am
da General

Carol - I haven't used Aperture. If you want a good photo editing program, I'd recommend getting Photoshop Elements.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-02-23, 12:55pm

I have used Aperture 2 - I'm stuck in PowerPC land so I can't upgrade the software until I get a new MacBook Pro, but it's a fantastic program for both image correction and photo organization. It's like a meld of iPhoto and most of Photoshop's precised image correction tools. I wouldn't get it pre-installed - you can download a trial version from Apple's website and try it out for 30 days. If you like it, then buy it from the App store.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2011-02-24, 7:53pm
ManBearPig

A Mac won't be any better at editing photos than a PC. It's the user, not the machine.

As a general platform, the Mac is worlds better than the PC. But, that's in terms of ease of use, reliability, and things like that. Both will run most of the same programs and will do many of the same tasks.

As for Aperture, I've never used it. But, for $79.99, I think you would be better off getting PS Elements, or finding someone who is a student and have them get you the student version of Photoshop (same exact thing as the regular version).

Old 2011-02-24, 8:18pm

it's pricey, but I love Lightroom! Mostly because of how easy it is to make batch corrections, tag photos with keywords, etc. There is also little "bloat" because it saves the changes to your image as a small "sidecar" file instead of resaving the whole image, whcih can be large.

You can download a free 30 day trial. (It also integrates with photosphop)
Old 2011-02-24, 8:22pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I use Aperture to edit my photos. I swapped to it from Photoshop when I bought a Mac. It does all the editing I need. You will LOVE a Mac so much better than a PC. You'll wonder why you didn't switch sooner.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-06-11, 10:12am
Formerly NurseKatie :)

I am a Mac girl and I would never go back to a PC. I have the trial version of apeture and I am in love, I still haven't priced it yet.....I will be sad to lose it if it is outrageiously expensive! I can post photos straight to facebook with it!
Old 2011-06-11, 4:14pm

I was able to upgrade to Aperture 3 in March when I got my Mac Mini. It's wonderful - I was able to sort and tweak the 2300 photos from my recent trip to Venice quickly, including exposure corrections, cropping and straightening, and deciding which ones were worthy of sharing on Facebook. I can upload them directly to Facebook or MobileMe. Tagging was a piece of cake too, whether you're doing individual photos or adding a batch setting to the entire project. There are still a few more advanced things I prefer to do in Photoshop, but I know PS so well because I've been using it since 1.0 and worked on the Photoshop team for a short time back during Photoshop 5. But Aperture is a great app to organize my photos and do 90% of the tweaks I need.

Old 2011-06-13, 7:29am

I love adobe lightroom. It made more sense to me than aperture. It also directly integrates with photoshop.

Mary
Old 2011-06-14, 4:57am

Default I love me some mac

I also am a Mac girl. Once you Mac.... You never go back......

Old 2011-06-21, 9:20am

Pretty much exactly what Cosmo said.

I too prefer Macs, but when you get to the nuts and bolts of it, the user is what makes the difference.
Old 2011-06-22, 3:17pm

I've been pricing Macs. Aperture 3 is $199.00 pre-installed. I use iphoto and am quite happy with the results I get. You can post directly to facebook if you like. I love my Mac!
Dave
Old 2011-07-19, 4:23am
Formerly NurseKatie :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlando1 View Post
I've been pricing Macs. Aperture 3 is $199.00 pre-installed. I use iphoto and am quite happy with the results I get. You can post directly to facebook if you like. I love my Mac!
Dave
My trial ran out and yes $199 bucks, ugh! I miss it, but iPhoto does work, I will get aperture back someday though, it was sweet!

Old 2011-07-21, 10:57am

If you buy Aperture through the App store it's $79:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apert...08981426?mt=12

You don't get the disc and box, but for me those just sit on the shelf anyway.

-Diane

Old 2011-08-22, 7:57pm

What is it that Aperture does over and above iPhoto? Is there a major difference? I have tried Photo shop before (even took a class) and it's just too confusing and I get frustrated. iPhoto seems to do most of what I need it to do but just wondering if Aperture is a better version of iPhoto or if it's too much like Photo shop for me. Am thinking of trying the 30 day trial if it's user friendly. Thanks for your help!

Facebook: Glass Lampwork beads and Jewelry by Chris Sanderson
Old 2011-08-28, 5:34am

I'm of no help here, but I have the same question. If my photos can't look good with anything more than exposure or sharpening adjustments in iPhoto, I have to reshoot, which is a hassle. I'd like to learn Photoshop, but don't want to spend $$$ only to confirm I don't have the patience for it.

Old 2011-09-20, 8:36am

I just got a Mac. I'm not sure which way to go either. I used pselements in the past,but never got past basic editing. I would like to do some fun stuff with a software program so any suggestions?