Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2018-07-03, 4:06pm

Default Getting Back into glass work

Howdy my friends. I’m new to the site. It’s been a long time from the last time I fired up my torch. I own a gtt cheetah and I have a useless unlimitted oxygen Hurricane unit that seems to only blow air. The second the oxygen hits the flame it blows it out. Its been prolly 7yrs from the last time using it. But sadly we never even used the unit that much. I heard Unilimitted went out of business so no way to fix this thing?? I guess I have to buy a new one. What do you recommend for a oxycon on a cheeta? Thanks ya everyone
Old 2018-07-04, 12:04pm
WildBird Beads

You might try the FB site, Lampwork Tips, Techniques and Questions. There is a lot of great information there includeing several posts about oxycon’s.
Old 2018-07-04, 4:18pm
Loving learning

Where has the unit been, in air conditioned or outside/humid air? The sieve beds may have absorbed a lot of humidity or something, and need to be replaced. Maybe see if there is a repair place nearby to give you an estimate?
Old 2018-07-04, 8:48pm

Hi Guys, thanks a bunch for the replies. Basically it we rarely used it and it only stayed in a garage. We used it for maybe a year off an on and then it quit. But tbh we didnt get any training on the unit. We had no clue there was filters inside the unit that needed replaced. So when I called unlimitted at the time he sent me new filters to try but didnt fix it. I can hear it filling each chamber and switching back and forth and it blows air fine just the second you start to bring oxygen into the torch it blows the flame out. Maybe just new sieve beds? I’ve removed the chambers before looking at it but its way over my head. Maybe they sell just mew chambers with the zeolite in it?? I called a glass studio in california (I’m kn KC) and they recommend a new OGSI20?? Dang thing is 2,800 bucks. Not cheap lol
Old 2018-07-04, 9:55pm
Loving learning

Are you sure your propane is set high enough? I know when I started people told me to use 3-4 pounds, and it kept blowing out. I called Nortel (for a Minor) and they told me to try moving the propane regulator to 5-6 and controlling it at the torch. That fixed my problem, so I'm wondering if not all regulators are exact.
Old 2018-07-05, 3:52am
Slogan Challenged...

yes I would try some adjustments first. If i recall, that is a pretty powerful unit. Nothing worse than spending time fiddling with the equipment. LOL

I hope you get to melting soon

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2018-07-05, 8:32am
Dix Harrison

It sounds more like a propane regulator issue, to me.

Check that your oxycon is set to the right pressure.

Turn on propane at the tank and see what the regulator reads.

Light propane at the torch and gradually introduce oxy.

It could be your regulator quit working.

PS, if you are experiencing ambient air temps over 90 degrees with high humidity, that can effect oxycon output.

A good repair person can hook your Hurricane up to a gauge and tell you what the O2 output is.

Last edited by kansassky; 2018-07-05 at 8:35am.
Old 2018-07-15, 9:42am

Sounds as though your oxygen is set too high and blowing the flame out. I have an m-15 that I use for my Smith little torch. I had it set too high and it kept blowing the flame out when I would turn the oxygen knob on at the torch. I talked to Paul at extreme oxygen and he told me to set the oxygen lower and it worked great! Another thought are you allowing the machine about 15 minutes to run with oxygen valve on torch open when you first start it up?

Old 2018-07-24, 6:35pm

Thanks everyone. I created a video of what it does. I let it run 10min prior too. I’m guessing this is lack of oxygen. I confirmed my torch needs 5-8psi of gas. Thats what i have my regulator set too. youtu.be/IfjSZl3332k