No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-09-11, 4:07pm
Llama llama duck

Default Paragon Caldera questions

I have this kiln with the Sentry Xpress 2.0 dig controller. I've had it about a year and a half, but I haven't used it yet. I know, but stuff happens. So I have kiln w/bead door, controller & 1 kiln shelf. The instruction booklet is very thorough, but talks about furniture, stands, posts, cones and all sorts of things I didn't know I needed to know about.

Does the shelf just go flat on the bottom or does it need to be on posts off the brick?
Which mandrel rack is best for this kiln?
Can it sit flat on the backerboard on my worktable or does there need to be something under it?
To garage beads while torching, do I use the single segment programming and then use the ramp-hold programming to anneal?

I can't think of anything else. I hate being such a weenie! If I've missed anything, please fill in the blanks. Thanks!

Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tink doesn't wear PANTIES......stupid little pixie.
-Kendra

Last edited by Charlee; 2005-09-14 at 9:52pm.
Old 2005-09-14, 9:51pm
Llama llama duck

::bump::

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Kendra
Old 2005-09-15, 7:31am
Professional Bead Pimp

Charlee,

The Caldera shipped with four pieces of firebrick intended to be used as feet. These are placed under the four corners of the lower lid piece, to hold the kiln off the work surface. The kiln sitting on these feet, sitting on the backer board would be fine.

As a bead annealer, you would not install the kiln shelf, but use a thin (1/4" or so) piece of fiber blanket to place on the bottom of the kiln to set your beads on. If you have a piece of thicker blanket big enough to cover the bottom of the kiln, then you can usually 'peel' a 1/4" layer off of the thicker blanket.

I'd 'garage' your beads by setting the first segment to 950 degrees with a hold of 5 hours, or at least as many hours as your longest torching session. You second segment would would be 968 degrees, etc. See below. Then when you are done making beads and after you've put the last bead in, hit the UP ARROW button TWICE and the kiln with skip to the next segment, which in this case is go to 968, the ANNEAL SOAK temperature.

Here is how I'd set it.

1st segment
1500 DPH
950 temp
5 hours hold

2nd segment
1500 DPH
968 temp
1 hour hold

3rg segment
120 DPH
820 temp
1 minute hold

Bill

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7
Old 2005-09-15, 5:35pm
Llama llama duck

Thank you Bill! This makes way more sense than firing cones and such. LOL I know what they're for, but dang!

I got my kiln thru my local glass studio - she got it from her supplier and it was a floor model. If I'd known that up front, I'd have ordered from Paragon directly, but was trying to do business locally. Anyway, it didn't come with any additional firebricks. I can surely find some tho. I really appreciate the info.

-Kendra
Old 2005-09-15, 6:12pm
Professional Bead Pimp

Four 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" cubes of firebrick is what I believe that thing shipped with. Even if you could just get 4 full-sized firebricj that would work.

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7
Old 2005-09-16, 8:36am
Resident Luny

I love my Caldera. Yep, you need the firebricks to sit it on. Paragon is REALLY nice on the phone, at the very least, you could call them.

I use kiln shelf to rest the beads on when it goes in the kiln, simply cause I had one, it just sits on the floor of the kiln. It does cause an angle and sometimes they do come sliding back at me, but...such is the way it is.

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2005-09-16, 9:47am
Life in the slow lane

I love my Caldera too but I've way outgrown it way too fast. I used a kiln shelf not until too long ago. I really don't like fiber blankets in my kiln or I would have purchased one that was lined with them. I think it's all personal choice.

Old 2005-09-17, 2:05pm
Llama llama duck

More input- thanks!! I'll call Paragon Monday. Can't believe I didn't thnk of that sooner. sheesh.

-Kendra