Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Old 2010-12-20, 3:51pm

Default Cake Tester?

Has anyone ever made a cake tester before? Or tried to? I have had a request for a cake tester with pretty glass on top. I am not sure what material to use for the shank - Stainless steel? The cake testers I have seen have the tip pointed also. Hmm????

SRA #C88

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-20, 4:16pm
Hobby Junkie

Stainless should work fine. I use a stainless kabob stick as my cake tester. Yes, grind the tip a bit so it's not totally flat. Pointed or rounded is ok

Old 2010-12-20, 4:49pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

stainless works for cake testers? I always used those wood skewers.
Old 2010-12-20, 5:52pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I use wood too.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-12-20, 6:13pm
Unmedicated since '62

what about a nice twistie? would it take the heat?

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-12-20, 8:53pm
Burning Fingers!

I use a very short 1/16" or 5/64" stainless steel mandrel - make the glassy decorative "ball/bead" on the end without using any release. Then clean it up with steel wool when you take it out of the kiln. I also "rough" up the mandrel with sand paper when finished so it has a bit of grab. If they are too long when finished, you can always cut it shorter with side cutters for the 1/16" or an angle grinder for the thicker ones.

/
/
/

Old 2010-12-22, 8:24am
Favorite color is shiny

pics of the said cake testers? anyone?

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2010-12-22, 8:29am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasoned Soul View Post
pics of the said cake testers? anyone?
If no one else has one, I'll post a picture of mine later this week. I found them at garage sales, so they are old fashioned. Mine are just blunt thin stainless steel. I'm assuming 'stainless" as they have never rusted. But they are very thin... I'm sure you can use a very thin mandrel, just making your glass direct on one end without release!

Old 2010-12-29, 8:28pm

These are what I have left, I haven't made them for a while. They are on 9" mandrels. My friends that were "testers" liked the longer usually so they could stick them in a counter top utensil container.

Hope these help. The store bought tester I have is stainless and about the same length.
Attached Images

Old 2010-12-29, 9:41pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Yep, old school cake testers were stainless steel with pointy ends, 9" sounds about right. Just think toothpick on steroids.

Old 2010-12-29, 10:34pm
Critter Mom

I used to have an old metal cake tester, it was my favorite. I've also been thinking about making myself a new one and found a few online. I think 1/16" stainless steel would work just fine. I'm going to use some wire and wire-wrap mine...here's a photo of one I found online:

http://copper-rain.com/Gallery/VariousWorks/CakeTester

Old 2010-12-31, 5:00pm
Chrissy

Here are a few cake testers I have made:

Old 2010-12-31, 8:39pm

Chris these are wonderful!!
Debi
Old 2011-01-01, 2:31am

Gee you guys have everything in the USA...

I've only ever used a chicken skewer or a bamboo kebab stick!

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2011-01-01, 4:52pm
Chrissy

Thanks Debi.... they are fun to make and I sell them too!!!

Old 2011-01-01, 10:46pm

Chris,those are great.I love the bunny and the slice of cake.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz
Old 2011-01-04, 3:50pm

Are you guys just making them on the end of a rod with no bead release? Those are so cute.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2011-01-04, 5:01pm
Chrissy

I make mine on a rod with bead release then clean it and glue it onto a new rod....other wise you get the dark heat marks that are hard to get off..