Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-06, 12:52pm

Default help choosing torch

I have a question and in need of some advice.

I am wanting to move up in my level of knowledge from beadmaking to pipe make etc.

I am currently working with a hothead torch. As mentioned I am wanting to move up unfortunantly I cannot decide which torch I need. I know that the bigger torch means the larger projects that I can work on.

I am looking at the following two torches
1. GTT Lynx
2. GTT Phantom 4 stud
If I get the lynx I can afford more needed tools and equipment, If I get the Phantom I will of coarse have to wait on a lot of the needed tools.

Question ??? Will I be able to work with pipes, figures and etc with the Lynx or will I need a larger torch such as the Phantom ?

Thank you for all of your help.
Old 2011-05-06, 12:59pm
I'm a lilac!

I'd go for the Phantom... you would probably find yourself wanting to upgrade really quickly from the Lynx, especially if you also got into marbles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-06, 1:37pm

I routinely make 1.5" marbles as well as small solid sculptures 2-3 inches long on my lynx without any issues . Are you planning to run tanked Oxy or a concentrator?
Old 2011-05-06, 2:43pm

Sent you a PM.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2011-05-06, 10:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
I routinely make 1.5" marbles as well as small solid sculptures 2-3 inches long on my lynx without any issues . Are you planning to run tanked Oxy or a concentrator?
Oxygen tank
Old 2011-05-07, 1:51pm

I think the heat level from the Lynx is somewhat underrated. I just boxed a boro marble that is 1.5" across. Getting it hot enough in the Lynx was not a problem. Just takes some practice to learn to adjust it and there will be a bit of a learning curve there. Unfortunately these are somewhat bigger then my Infinite rim marble mold Gotta call Artco and get the next larger size. I cant comment on how well the Lynx works for pipes, though. Since you are now using a Hothead, any of these will seem like an inferno compared.
Old 2011-05-07, 2:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
I think the heat level from the Lynx is somewhat underrated. I just boxed a boro marble that is 1.5" across. Getting it hot enough in the Lynx was not a problem. Just takes some practice to learn to adjust it and there will be a bit of a learning curve there. Unfortunately these are somewhat bigger then my Infinite rim marble mold Gotta call Artco and get the next larger size. I cant comment on how well the Lynx works for pipes, though. Since you are now using a Hothead, any of these will seem like an inferno compared.
thank you and please keep all thoughts coming
Old 2011-05-07, 3:14pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Phantom!
Old 2011-05-08, 6:57pm
I'm a lilac!

I think one question that makes a lot of difference is whether torching is a significant and necessary source of your income. If it is, and you are wanting to move into pipes and/or marbles, I would advise moving up to the biggest torch you can swing. If it's a hobby and you are not reliant on income from it, there's no reason not to go with the smaller torch and then save up for a bigger one.

Old 2011-05-08, 9:06pm

I would go with a phantom but have you thought about the scopion? I love it!! Though I have never tried the phantom

Old 2011-05-09, 7:04am

I agree with others, compared to a hothead either torch will be a big difference. I'd go with the one i would want to end up with in the long term if the money was there. On the other hand, if you decide to start with the lynx and want to upgrade later, well cared for torches hold their value extremely well, especially the GTT ones imo.

Old 2011-05-09, 8:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I think one question that makes a lot of difference is whether torching is a significant and necessary source of your income. If it is, and you are wanting to move into pipes and/or marbles, I would advise moving up to the biggest torch you can swing. If it's a hobby and you are not reliant on income from it, there's no reason not to go with the smaller torch and then save up for a bigger one.
This is a very good point!

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2011-05-09, 10:12am

Quote:
Yup. Either way you will not lose money on a GTT torch in the long run. Both of these are selling used for close to retail.
Old 2011-05-09, 1:44pm

I moved from a minor to a phantom and love that there is always more room for me to grow with it ... It took me a year to adjust completely though so there is that learning curve issue to consider, but you're going to find that with any torch to some degree.

Old 2011-05-09, 3:38pm
one day at a time

Moving from the HH to a Lynx on oxy tanks is quite a jump. My suggestion is that since you are still in the learning stages of your interests, I would go with the Lynx to play and learn on that for a while. en move up to the much larger torch down the road.

It's a learning curve, I know. I was on the HH for 18 months and I had only moved up to the Bobcat. I was making ugly burned out colors and wonky shapes for a couple of weeks before I got the hang of it. The Lynx is much hotter than the Bobcat.

You can never have too many torches, and if you decided to part with the Lynx once you were well tuned into using the larger torch, you can always sell it in the Garage here and get back most of what you paid for it. Torches don't depreciate in value much, if at all.

Last edited by Lisi; 2011-05-09 at 3:41pm.
Old 2011-05-09, 7:59pm

Quote:
I want to thank everyone for there comments and I hope that they keep coming.

I must say this comment realy makes sense. even though I want the phantom I am going to stick with the Lynx for now as from my understanding the lynx will do pipes and marbles and for now this is a hobby. I would love for it to grow into something more but as stated I am still learning.

Thank you Kalera
Old 2011-05-09, 8:38pm

Get the PHantom! I am about 5 months in and already wanting to trade the Lynx in for one. It is sufficient but I could have been doing the same work with the phantom without using the outter rings. I have also gone with minimal tools. Those can always be made by you if you really need them.
Old 2011-05-10, 7:17am

I think Artco has them right now. Let us know when you get it and how it works out for you. Lots of good info in the archives here and at The Melting Pot on setup.
Old 2011-05-10, 8:27am

Wow, once I think that I have made my decision I end up going back and considering the Phantom. OMG I am begining to think that I am in desisive

The main three areas that I am really interested in is pipes, glass blowing / tubes and marbles. From what I am understanding is that the Lynx will do that and anything that I would like up to 2 inches ( Is this correct ? ). Besides Just being Hotter and being able to do larger projects can someone give me other ideas of how the Phantom might benefit me ???

and also as stated in an earlier post I am not reliant on income for this .

It is funny as I can seem to make all of the rational reasons to get the Lynx , Price, it is currently just a hobby, etc and yet I still keep going back and wanting the Phantom. Well so much for simple choices. grin.
I never thought choosing between these two torchs would be that dificult.

Thank you all once again,

please keep all comments coming
Old 2011-05-10, 9:16am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Always buy a tool you'll grow into not one you'll grow out of. You mention wanting to work tube. Very difficult for a beginner with a small flame torch. the Phantom will provide a wider flame to more evenly heat a tube while a Lynx' flame will, by being smaller, be more concentrated and give hot spots on reasonably sized tube. Since the Phanton has a 'Lynx' center ring you will get the best of both with the Phanton and you'll have it for a long time.
JMHO, PJH
Old 2011-05-15, 6:27pm

Okay,

The final decision has been weighed and I have decided to go with the Phantom.
I hate spending Money so I am sure that I will have some time of buyers remorse, but that should be short lived.

Thank you to everyone who posted.
Old 2011-06-01, 2:01pm
I'm a lilac!

I bet the satisfaction of having such a great torch will far outweigh any buyer's remorse!