Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-23, 8:29pm
Lover of Life

Default How silver foil reacts...

... with different glasses...

I tried one of my new tuts last night, and it called for pale aqua, which was then coated in silver foil, burnished and burned off. I didn't have any pale aqua (go figure, a couple of my newly purchased tuts call for it), so I opted for another transparent that I thought would be great for the application, CIM Dusk. When I tried to burn the foil off, it left a very opaque coating on the Dusk, regardless of the heat I gave it, or anything else I tried. In the tut, on the pale aqua, the silver left a lovely subtle speckly sheen.

Has anyone done any research of this type to determine how silver foil responds to different bases? Or, does anyone know a good unsaturated transparent option for the subtle sparkly sheen result?

Thanks

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2012-01-23, 9:00pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

what color is "Dusk"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2012-01-23, 9:18pm
burnin' glass just becuz

any cool colours like grey, blue or green will generally love silver, especially the transparents. silver will stick on, coat and/or darken warm colours like yellows, oranges, reds, browns... pinks and purples vary based on their tint (warm vs cool), blacks are usually just very dark grey, blue or purple so will react accordingly.

there are of course multiple exceptions plus one person's "ugly" reaction is another's crowning effect

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-01-23, 9:22pm
I like to melt things

I do this test with Silver Leaf with every glass that I test on my blog (link in my signature)

I haven't tested Pale Aqua or Dusk, but if you look at my results for some other transparents, you might find what you're looking for?

I have found the following reactions between transparents and silver, when you burnish silver on and then burn it off:
  • Yellowish haze (Appletini, Journey)
  • Weird beige crust (Reichenbach Aqua)
  • Crusting / Webbing (Azure, Dark Grass Green, Ink Blue, Midnight, Ocean, Pale Green Apple, Pale Ink Blue, Pink Champagne Unique, Peach, Sepia #2, Straw Yellow)
  • Brownish haze AND Faint misty webbing (Sapphire)
  • Webby blueness (Charcoal, Leaky Pen, Sepia #1, Slytherin)
  • Spreading / Opacifying (Twilight)
  • Dark muckiness (Electric Yellow)
  • Mostly vanishing (Great Bluedini)
  • Pinkness (Mojito)

I've made up names to describe the reactions above, sort of on the fly, so forgive me if they are a little goofy. My testing is a work in process, and there might be a little inconsistency / overlap between the categories above. I really need to go back and ask/answer some specific questions raised in some of my tests. However, this might be a good starting point if you want to do some experimentation yourself.

-
-
Old 2012-01-23, 9:43pm
Sheila Davis Designs

This is great info..thanks ladies!

Old 2012-01-23, 10:15pm
Lover of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
what color is "Dusk"?
Relatively pale greyish purple... Third paddle down, although it appears a bit lighter in this picture than what I am used to...

http://ggglass.com/catalog.php?page=2&category=44

Old 2012-01-23, 10:21pm
Lover of Life

Yes thank you indeed, Evelyn and Melanie. I love the descriptions, Mel... I was trying to match my latest result in my head to each one as I read... yes, it's weird beige crust... no, more like spreading/opacifying... or maybe it's more like dark muckiness... lol!
Going to look at your blog instead.

Old 2012-01-23, 10:35pm
I'm a lilac!

Bullseye's "Torch Tips" (you can read it for free on their website, or order a hardcopy booklet for not much money) includes really good information on glass chemistry which is fairly easy to extrapolate to other manufacturers' products.

Old 2012-01-24, 1:46am

Melanie, Reading your descriptions made me giggle. I can just hear you describing them with your accent. The one I laughed at the most was. the Dark muckiness.

Old 2012-01-24, 7:31am
Lover of Life

What kind of accent do you have Melanie? I see you live in BC. Did you come here from abroad?

Old 2012-01-24, 8:53am
I like to melt things

lol no, I am from Ontario and apparently I talk funny.

I was in Edmonton last week, and it reminded me of why I moved to BC.

-
-
Old 2012-01-24, 4:37pm
offically down under

Wow Melanie, I'm loving all the information you have in your blog! Thanks for all your hard work.

Old 2012-01-24, 7:10pm
Lover of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post

Hahaha! You picked the WORST week in years to come to Edmonton! We were down as low as -38 without the windchill at one point!

I lived on the island for a couple of years during my adolescence, and would love to live there again... it was like Heaven on Earth... but I hear there`s this earthquake a-comin...

Old 2012-01-24, 7:12pm
Lover of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Bullseye's "Torch Tips" (you can read it for free on their website, or order a hardcopy booklet for not much money) includes really good information on glass chemistry which is fairly easy to extrapolate to other manufacturers' products.
Thanks Kalera! I have been to BE`s tech notes several times for different info, mostly for fusing... it is very useful stuff! I will head back there to check this out.

Old 2012-01-24, 7:19pm
Lover of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Wow Melanie, I'm loving all the information you have in your blog! Thanks for all your hard work.
Ya ditto that! Tons of great information!

Old 2012-01-24, 8:01pm
I like to melt things

Thank you for the nice feedback about my blog It helps keep me going when people say nice things about it or comment. It's a lot of work, but is it ever nice to have all of that information at my fingertips when I am trying to think of new combinations or trying to predict how some new glass colour will behave.

I am glad that other people find it useful too!

-
-
Old 2012-01-24, 8:18pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I think Torch Tips has been taken offline. If not, I would love the link. (It used to be: http://www.bullseyeglass.com/education/torchtips)

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-01-24, 10:59pm
Lover of Life

Here's what I found:

http://shop.bullseyeglass.com/legacy/torchtips/

Aaahhhhhhhh, beautiful Bullseye!

Last edited by bexrox; 2012-01-24 at 11:04pm.
Old 2012-01-25, 5:59am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexrox View Post
Here's what I found:

OMG!!! Exactly the info I've been looking for!!! Thank you, thank you!!!!!!
Old 2012-01-25, 7:38am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexrox View Post
Here's what I found:

Thank you Becky! I am saving it as a file now. I really missed it (literally & figuratively).

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-01-25, 12:18pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I think I recall purple over silver makes amber...I think...

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2012-01-26, 1:05am

Quote:

I love to hear you talk and its funny but when I read your comments on things I can hear your voice too. But I don't think you talk funny at all. I think some people call accents sexy don't you know that.

I love to look at your blog it gives me some ideas when I go to the torch and can't think of what to do. And has saved me some glass a time or 2.

Old 2012-04-12, 3:28pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead crazy View Post
I love to hear you talk and its funny but when I read your comments on things I can hear your voice too. But I don't think you talk funny at all. I think some people call accents sexy don't you know that.

I love to look at your blog it gives me some ideas when I go to the torch and can't think of what to do. And has saved me some glass a time or 2.

Thanks for the nice feedback Lori!

-
-
Old 2012-04-12, 4:28pm
Practicing perfect

Quote:
I do this test with Silver Leaf with every glass that I test on my blog (link in my signature)

I haven't tested Pale Aqua or Dusk, but if you look at my results for some other transparents, you might find what you're looking for?

I have found the following reactions between transparents and silver, when you burnish silver on and then burn it off:
  • Yellowish haze (Appletini, Journey)
  • Weird beige crust (Reichenbach Aqua)
  • Crusting / Webbing (Azure, Dark Grass Green, Ink Blue, Midnight, Ocean, Pale Green Apple, Pale Ink Blue, Pink Champagne Unique, Peach, Sepia #2, Straw Yellow)
  • Brownish haze AND Faint misty webbing (Sapphire)
  • Webby blueness (Charcoal, Leaky Pen, Sepia #1, Slytherin)
  • Spreading / Opacifying (Twilight)
  • Dark muckiness (Electric Yellow)
  • Mostly vanishing (Great Bluedini)
  • Pinkness (Mojito)

I've made up names to describe the reactions above, sort of on the fly, so forgive me if they are a little goofy. My testing is a work in process, and there might be a little inconsistency / overlap between the categories above. I really need to go back and ask/answer some specific questions raised in some of my tests. However, this might be a good starting point if you want to do some experimentation yourself.
What a great blog you have. Love all the detail in the color reactions you have. thank you for sharing.

Old 2012-04-12, 5:06pm

CIM Electric Avenue turns a greeny yellow colour under burnished silver foil. Ask me how I know!! lol

Old 2012-04-13, 6:02am
Peerless Thread Killer

Wow, Melanie, your blog is amazing! Thanks so much for doing that!

My formula is: Glass with sulfur (yellow, red, orange, etc.) plus silver equals poo.