LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-09-27, 8:05pm

I honestly cannot figure out why these Devardi threads get so out of hand. Who cares what glass people want to use or the reason they buy it. I buy Effetre because CIM is too expensive unless I can get it at a deep discount. I don't buy expensive clears because I think unless you are making marbles, or transparent beads it doesn't' matter. Forget Double Helix or expensive silver glasses, I will not spend $80.00 lb. for glass when I can use Kuglar reduction color. I do have some seconds of DH that I purchased when it first came out. I use very little of it.

There, I said it. I'm CHEAP! But I really do like Effetre the best. It's just what I am used to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-09-27, 8:07pm

Yep, I kind of got that. Ive been reading for awhile...

Thanks for the heads up though!

I've also seen some pretty nasty threads on other groups about divardi where people were just pummeling each other...

Guess I'm more of a live and let live guy. But I do glass to relax, so I I'm pretty motivated to keep it fun and happy

Erik

Last edited by Signguy; 2011-09-27 at 8:07pm. Reason: Typo
Old 2011-09-27, 8:26pm
Storm Queen

Cynthia, I could explain why it happens but it would just make this thread even worse.

Old 2011-09-27, 10:30pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimp View Post
I'd like to know how many brave soles there are out there that just stick a cold rod of glass directly in the flame without even wafting it, in and out of the flame until it is preheated. It seems to me that everyone has some sort of preheating stage in their lampworking routine. I've seen videos of professional lampwork artists using those stainless steel rod warmers placed behind the flame, and to be quite frank with you, I have never seen any Devardi rods on those warmers. My two personal methods of preheating my rods are either a cup of boiling hot water, or an old coffee mug placed on a coffee cup warmer. My lampwork mentor used a hot plate to preheat her rods. She only used Effetre glass.
all the time, but i'm a daredevil like that

you get to know the colours that are shocky and duck - little bits are not an issue but when the whole rod ends up as chunks on my desk i'm moving on to another brand or colour

and like someone said, you expect a 10mm rod to be shocky and flinch accordingly

ETA - with utmost respect and not trying to insult anybody (and answering cynthias rhetorical question) these threads go south because older and more experience heads usually offer the opinion that cheap glass that has to be handled carefully may just not be worth it, the people that choose to use said glass get offended because that implies they've made a poor choice - its like telling you that cute little bulgarian sports car you just bought is nowhere near as good as a porche but hey, you're having just as much fun driving it even though its a challenge.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2011-09-27 at 10:45pm.
Old 2011-09-28, 5:44am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Well said Deb In the end, we should all remember to be respectful of others & their opinions.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-09-28, 8:08am

Yes, no beating the dead horse. I am trying to sleep in it.

I could see how one of those rod racks would be handy in the winter.
Old 2011-10-02, 7:21am
Detail G-Mama!

Ok, was just cruising da Bay and I see that Davardi is selling it there, I've got the rod warmer, is that not gonna be enough to make it less shocky? I really don't have time to read each post in here but they do have some gorgeous colors!!!

Old 2011-10-02, 7:27am

THis is what happens to me. I put a rod of it in the warmer and preheat it. If you are only going to use about 4" of the rod it's fine. If you are going to use more, it tends to break off at the cold part when you are close to it. It is very frustrating. I have some colors that I really like so I have melted them down and pulled them into small 2 to 3mm size and they work fine. Although, I am not fond of doing that either. Some of the smaller rods give me no trouble at all, except for the semi-trans colors. They are hopeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
Ok, was just cruising da Bay and I see that Davardi is selling it there, I've got the rod warmer, is that not gonna be enough to make it less shocky? I really don't have time to read each post in here but they do have some gorgeous colors!!!

Old 2011-10-02, 7:32am
Detail G-Mama!

Hmmm, so the semi trans are out. I was looking at some of the transparents and opaques and like you said Cynthia, I'm cheap also! Guess it's a good price for trying it out though!

Old 2011-10-02, 8:41am
Detail G-Mama!

Oh, two more questions, how is their clear glass? This is 104 coe, so it plays well with moretti and vetrofond right?

Old 2011-10-02, 11:38am
Companion

I have some transparent pink devardi rods with aventurine stripes on the outside. They look sooo pretty but i did never ever see rods as shocky as those. Anise white and opal yellow are tame against them. And i have to try which colors are compatible with them. If i don't find any i have to make tons of spacers... -.-

I have other devardi rods. Some behave, some not...and those that don't behave are not alway the thick or uneven ones.
Don't you cry no more
Old 2011-10-02, 12:58pm
Detail G-Mama!

Well I guess if some are that shocky, I'll just put a pan underneath to catch all of it and make frit!

Old 2011-10-02, 5:27pm

I have very little trouble with the devardi rods using the warmer. And I own most of their colors. I also have very little trouble with any of the other brands using the warmer. One or two colors still don't behave but I can live with that. I don't generally have much trouble with the rods breaking off above where its been pre warmed and I rarely have shocking. But I started using them when I first started lamp working so maybe I have just subconsciously worked out how to make it work. I love the colors and the transparents are very rich in color and the semi opaques do some interesting things.

No glass is perfect, I think everyone should make up their own minds, if you don't like it that's fine, if you do like it, that's fine too.

Old 2011-10-02, 5:50pm
Bigger, longer, and uncut

I usually make big beads. Whenever I plan to use Devardi colors as a base, I stick two of whatever colors I need in the curling iron oven.

Soon enough I will hit a cooler part of the rod as I wind on glass, so I try to be disciplined enough to park my first rod back in the heater and continue with the second preheated one.

Old 2012-01-30, 8:17am

Being a non started newbie (have not purchased anything yet). I read and read and get more and more confused. I realize there is a lot to take in, but isn't there a beginners glass that is less shocky and easier to work to give time to get used to the torch, mandrels and such?
While I understand some folks would say that even if it is shocky the cheaper glass is good because you don't lose so much in learning. Others say better glass makes learning a bit more fun but it costs more.
How about a happy medium? A glass that is newbie friendly, but not so touchy and not over the top expensive. Speaking of which, what is a decent price for glass (104/96)?
Thanks
Old 2012-01-30, 8:50am

I would suggest Effetre.

Old 2012-01-30, 10:11am
Storm Queen

Cherri, Both Frantz and Arrow Springs have starter kits where you get one rod of pretty much every regular production Effetre color. That's what I got when I started.

Old 2012-01-30, 10:35am
Nikki Haverstock

Many colors by effetre/vetrofond is not much more expensive than Devardi. A couple of dollars a pound and a pound is a lot of glass when you are starting.

Old 2012-01-30, 11:28am

Vetrofond transparents and pastels are on sale at Frantz for less than $4 per pound right now. Nice glass to work with and much less than Devardi at $6 per pound.
Old 2012-01-30, 6:55pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

CIM (Creation is Messy) glass is delicious to work with, and is about is the same cost as Effetre glass.

Frantzartglass.com has frequent (every 2 or 3 months) 70% off sales for Vetrofond. That is decent stuff too.

ETA, oh crap, Frantz has a 70% off sale going on right now. I hate their 70% off sales. I can never resist.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-02-01, 4:58am
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherri View Post
Being a non started newbie (have not purchased anything yet). I read and read and get more and more confused. I realize there is a lot to take in, but isn't there a beginners glass that is less shocky and easier to work to give time to get used to the torch, mandrels and such?
While I understand some folks would say that even if it is shocky the cheaper glass is good because you don't lose so much in learning. Others say better glass makes learning a bit more fun but it costs more.
How about a happy medium? A glass that is newbie friendly, but not so touchy and not over the top expensive. Speaking of which, what is a decent price for glass (104/96)?
Thanks
Learning to make beads with Devardi glass is like learning to drive in an 18 wheeler. Eventually, you'll master it but wouldn't it be easier to learn in an automatic Ford Focus?

Last edited by tammydownunder; 2012-02-01 at 4:59am. Reason: Dyac
Old 2012-02-01, 5:44am

Default which glass for a new newbie..

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I just ordered a hot head torch and then went to Frantz and ordered a little bit of glass. I can't resist sales either. I was dragging my feet a bit trying to figure out soft/boro and back and forth. However, the sale pushed me over. LOL Can't use the glass without a torch. hehehehe. I got the vetrofond and a bit of the Effetre. I was looking for clear and black and I could not find it in the vetrofond. I will have to learn where to get and who to get from.

Next off to the hardware store to collect some other needed items.

Thank you all again.
Old 2012-02-01, 8:53am

Arrow Springs is a great company to order glass and tools from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherri View Post
I will have to learn where to get and who to get from.

Thank you all again.

Old 2012-02-01, 9:00am
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Learning to make beads with Devardi glass is like learning to drive in an 18 wheeler. Eventually, you'll master it but wouldn't it be easier to learn in an automatic Ford Focus?
HA!!! So true!

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2012-02-01, 9:28am
Glass Addict

Just in case anyone is interested in a bunch of Devardi glass... I have about 20lbs. of it that I am looking to move along. Most of the colors I found easy to work (they weren't too shocky)... but I'm still a newbie and learning to drive the "automatic ford focus" as Tammy so eloquently put it

My Devardi stash is just gathering dust and taking up space... it should be used by someone who knows how to work it. I really do have some gorgeous colors to play with...

Old 2012-02-01, 11:59am
Got space flowers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signguy View Post
As an alternative too, or in addition too using a rod warmer - has anyone ever tried annealing the glass in your kiln before using it?

It would be pretty easy to do in batches, and seems like it might help quite a bit too make it less shocky and easier to work with...
You can NOT anneal this glass.... I tried it and it's still as shocky as before.
I only use it very rare and preheat it in the kiln. This is what I call "not having fun lampworking"... always need to put two rods into the kiln so I can go on with the second rod when the fist one gets shocky again. Terrible!

Karin

Old 2012-02-01, 12:56pm
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadfairy View Post
You can NOT anneal this glass.... I tried it and it's still as shocky as before.
Well, you CAN anneal it...it just doesn't have any effect.

I think if it had less "crap" embedded in it that may help.
When I ordered some, as a complete newbie, I was amazed at the "quality" of the glass. I said something in a thread, (I maybe had 6 posts) and felt beat-up afterwards and gave up. I thought about posting the pictures of the glass. (which looked like it had been dropped on the floor and THEN pulled) But after seeing how people stood by them - I just decided to chalk it up to a lessons learned...
The first lesson...stay out of the Devardi threads
Second....I'm just waaaay to nervous to use exploding glass.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-02-01, 1:18pm
Artistically Absorbed

My solution for Devardi is to cut the rods into 1 inch sections, and toss them in the kiln before I start up. I cant see having a rod warmer to run along with all the other equipment. For any other shocky glass, besides Devardi, I put a rod rest on top of the kiln and put rods on it, the rest keeps one end cool enough to handle.
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-02-01, 1:44pm
Got space flowers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post

Well, you CAN anneal it...it just doesn't have any effect.

you're right

Karin

Old 2012-02-01, 2:19pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I've almost been tempted to try some of those lovely colours.
But I figure with the cheaper glass, in this instance anyway, the real price is extra appliances glowing away making our elec. meter resemble a whirling dervish.
I'll just stick to the crockie, and firing up the (brick) kiln every couple of weeks. It's not the kind of kiln to be sticking stuff in and out of any more than poking in finished beads, anyway.
It might sound mean (nasty AND miserly), but I still have to justify my outgoings.
And it's frustrating enough on a HH, without worrying about the extra time reheating rods in the flame.
Pity. Beautiful colours.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107