Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-12-05, 8:18am
Flamewoman

Question Boro Questions you were afraid to ask!

Here is the thread for all those dumb boro questions you have been afraid to ask! My soft glass skills are pretty good, but boro is well.....different!
Here are some of my questions:

How do you get DAP to display all it's color? Sometime's I get it, sometimes I can't, do not know what I am doing.

How do you "strike"? How long do you cool the bead, how long do you heat it, to glowing red? Do you strike every boro color?

Encasing. Do you melt a big blob and try to get even coverage? How do you put clear on?

Kiln time? I have an arrow springs controler that does 1050 degrees for soaking. should it be hotter?

Anyone out there with answeres or more questions????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2007-12-05, 8:35am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
How do you get DAP to display all it's color? Sometime's I get it, sometimes I can't, do not know what I am doing.
Get it hot with a hot, neutral flame. Keep it hot while working on it. You want it to be almost colorless. Work it and shape it, then let it cool outside the flame 20-30 seconds. Slowly heat it up in the back of the flame until you get the desired color.

Quote:
How do you "strike"? How long do you cool the bead, how long do you heat it, to glowing red? Do you strike every boro color?
See above. No, you don't strike every color. Only a small percentage of them. Colors like Amber/Purple, Triple Passion, etc. need to be struck. Most don't.

Quote:
Encasing. Do you melt a big blob and try to get even coverage? How do you put clear on?
I assume you are talking about beads, right? I just wind on a disc of clear over the bead, and then melt it smooth. The clear will melt and flow faster than the color, so it encases itself pretty much.

Quote:
Kiln time? I have an arrow springs controler that does 1050 degrees for soaking. should it be hotter?
1050 will be fine. Some people kiln strike certain colors at temps between 1075 and 1200. Some people (like me) don't kiln strike, and leave their kiln at 1050 all the time.

Old 2007-12-05, 11:05am
Ezzy

Well here's a dumb question I brought up regarding soft glass; but, now I'll ask about boro... batch annealing.

When making small things, like pendants, they seem strong enough that you could prepare a bunch of them over time then pop them all in the kiln at one. Would it work or should I just pop stuff into the kiln as I finish it?
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2007-12-05, 11:12am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieFireBeads View Post
Well here's a dumb question I brought up regarding soft glass; but, now I'll ask about boro... batch annealing.

When making small things, like pendants, they seem strong enough that you could prepare a bunch of them over time then pop them all in the kiln at one. Would it work or should I just pop stuff into the kiln as I finish it?
It works fine. I have done it plenty of times.

The only time you don't want to do something like that is if it has an opal in it. Opals don't like to be reheated for some reason. The glass around them usually cracks when you do.

Old 2007-12-05, 11:39am
Flame Dame

Okay, here's my question. I just ran into this problem last week.

Why does laying down white (EWS, for instance) directly on the mandrel then encasing it cause the bead to crack?

Leah

Etsy ID: leahbeads
Old 2007-12-05, 12:40pm
ManBearPig

I have never had that problem, honestly. I've made many beads with white as the base and not had that problem. However, I have heard of it happening from time to time. I think it may have something to do with how hot you keep the white while you are working on it. I tend to keep mine really hot the whole time, which seems to work for me.

I believe the problem is that the white is not 100% compatible. When it's touching glass all the way around, it works fine, but when touching the mandrel, there is a difference in expansion and contraction rates that causes the cracks. That is what I was told, so I don't know if it's 100% accurate or not. But, a good way to prevent it is to lay down a little clear, then put the white on top of it.

Old 2007-12-05, 5:10pm
Skeptical Optimist

Cosmo, you still da man!

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2007-12-05, 5:43pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Cosmo - you are a fountain of knowledge.
May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-12-05, 6:32pm
Lampworker

you will also need to strike yellow, extra light yellow, orange and the ruby family at 1050.

i like to strike AP and tripple pasion at 1075-1100 for 1-2 hours. this brings out the purple hue.
Old 2007-12-05, 11:15pm
Corgi Cult Member

I understand some colors need to be preworked before they are used in an implossion to avoid small bubbles. How do you know which colors need this extra step?

Do crayon colors always need to be encased before they are used?

Old 2007-12-05, 11:38pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
OH! OH! (she says raising hand) I can take this one.
No - you don't need to encase crayon colors, but you DO need to
work them cooler (higher up in the flame) so they don't bubble.
What I found is, I work the crayons in a propane rich flame, which is
cooler than an oxy flame. However - this doesn't work well if you're
using another glass with the crayon colors (specifically glass that reacts
to a propane flame). Clear as mud?

On a sidenote - I've been playing with some of the new Glass Alchemy
crayon-like colors, and many of these (my fave is pumpkin from their glasstique line) don't bubble or scorch. LOVE it!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-12-06, 12:32pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
I understand some colors need to be preworked before they are used in an implossion to avoid small bubbles. How do you know which colors need this extra step?

I've never preworked any colors before using them. If you are getting bubbles, you are getting the glass too hot. Colors that tend to bubble the most for me are colors like Hyacinth, Skyline, and other crayon blues.

Crayon colors don't need to be encased. It's not a bad idea to encase them, but they don't need to be. You just have to work them slower.

Old 2007-12-06, 1:47pm
Ezzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
It works fine. I have done it plenty of times.

The only time you don't want to do something like that is if it has an opal in it. Opals don't like to be reheated for some reason. The glass around them usually cracks when you do.
Woohooooo, maybe I really can save some electricity! Thanks Cosmo.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2007-12-06, 1:51pm
Ezzy

You know, I want to really take the time and thank all of you guys for the wealth of information you are sharing. I think the Boro Room is the rockin'est out of anywhere on LE and I'm just sorry I didn't find you all earlier.
Old 2007-12-06, 1:53pm
Ezzy

Quote:
I had something that happened on an implosion that sounds a lot like this. I was using frit and I just went to look for it to figure out which frit it is and of course I can't find it.
Old 2007-12-06, 3:04pm

Ok, I'm about to take the plunge... new torch, glass, frit, everything I need to start playing with boro... now is there anything obviously different to soft glass I need to know before I sit down and have a go?

thanks!
ShelleyLee
Old 2007-12-06, 3:28pm
Pyromaniac

Heat it closer to the torch head, generally, and don't wave it in and out of the flame like you do soft glass. When you have the shape you want, cool until there is NO glow (I check under the work table) and if it's a striking color, bring it back into the top of the flame and turn to strike -- you will see the color change. Some people kiln strike, but I like to see what I am getting before it goes in the kiln.

Clear frit can do wonders.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2007-12-06, 6:07pm
Flamewoman

Oh yes Lana is right shellyLee that you don't need to wave it in and out of the flame, and that's because Boro won't BLOW UP like soft glass does!!! That's one of the things I love about it. You can just stick it into the flame, without fear. After working boro for a while I sometimes forget when working with soft glass, but I am always reminded quickly.LOL. You will love boro, most beautiful of glass.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2007-12-07, 6:31am

Ok, stupid question here...related to boro in that some are made of it...what is MIB? I know what they are, what do the letters stand for? See, told you it was a stupid question

Old 2007-12-07, 3:32pm

Thanks everyone... I know it's going to be a steep learling curve!
Old 2007-12-08, 3:17pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim V View Post
Ok, stupid question here...related to boro in that some are made of it...what is MIB? I know what they are, what do the letters stand for? See, told you it was a stupid question
Good question. I've wondered that myself for quite a while...

Old 2007-12-08, 5:49pm

Thanks, Cosmos, I was really beginning to feel foolish for even asking
Ok, here's my suggestions (and know that I've been up waayyy too long today )....
Men in Black
M I Bitchy (that was DH's suggestion...guess the D isn't standing for Darling right now )
Marble in Boro?

Old 2007-12-08, 7:22pm

sooooo...what are MIBs?

Old 2007-12-08, 8:56pm
Corgi Cult Member

Thanks Karen and Cosmo!

Old 2007-12-09, 9:12am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
sooooo...what are MIBs?

Seriousll, though, MIB = marble. But I don't know where "MIB" came from.

Old 2007-12-09, 3:00pm
Pyromaniac

marble implosion something or other?

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2007-12-09, 3:11pm

Here's a link to a marble ( the game ) website:

http://library.thinkquest.org/5236/M...0Glossary.html

Mib: Long,long,long ago,mib meant a clay marble. Nowadays mib means a target in any marble game.

Mibster: A mibster is a person who plays marbles.

Gundi
Old 2007-12-11, 3:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieFireBeads View Post

I find that it affects the color sometimes. Pinks are fussy. I like to put them directly into a hot kiln.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-12-11, 3:32am

Gundi,
Thank you sooo much!!! The term has taunted me for a long time.
Kim V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundula View Post
Here's a link to a marble ( the game ) website:

http://library.thinkquest.org/5236/M...0Glossary.html

Mib: Long,long,long ago,mib meant a clay marble. Nowadays mib means a target in any marble game.

Mibster: A mibster is a person who plays marbles.

Gundi

Old 2007-12-11, 3:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahBeads View Post
Okay, here's my question. I just ran into this problem last week.

Why does laying down white (EWS, for instance) directly on the mandrel then encasing it cause the bead to crack?

Leah
In Laymens terms (Because I don't know the Technical terms)

Because the mandrel acts as a heat sink causing the inside to cool differently than the outside. The glass cools quicker near the mandrel.

The COE is a little off meaning that it might be fine if you cooled it slower (depending on the color) or its usually easier to lay a small bead of color down first.

Different colors cool in different ways. Some boro colors cool slower/faster causing issues while cooling with other colors.

Heidi

~~
~~

Last edited by Jamn!; 2007-12-11 at 11:05am.