The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-01-20, 10:43am
Noobie

Default Propane consumption with HH??

Hi,
How much propane do you all use?? I am on a HH and I am getting my BBQ tank filled every 9 or 10 days..sometimes every week...I bought the hose new and I thought at first I must have a leak in the hose. So I dumped a pile of dish soap in a bucket and put as much of the hose in it I could..I bought the longest hose...I forget how many ft....I was not able to find any leaks in the hose nor by the fittings...Ive checked all the fittings and they all appear to be on tight...none of the fittings on both ends of the hose appear to be stripped..I have been torching more since Ive become more comfortable with working with the flame...maybe 20hrs a week..sometimes more, sometimes less...It seems every time I turn around I have to haul the tank to get it filled....I recently had a 9 day vacation and I torched every minute that I could...which was a lot when my kids were in school...but in the 9 days I had to refill my tank 3times....Ive read in some previous posts that some people have their BBq tank last for six months..but they were on a duel (?) torch with oxy...that just does not seem possible for me since Im getting it filled so frequently...is this the amount of propane for most HH users??
Old 2008-01-20, 11:26am

Hi Cherie,

I use a BBQ tank and I fill it up every month or 6 weeks, depending on how much I torch that month. I try to torch for 2-4 hours every day, sometimes on the weekend I will torch 5-6 hours. Maybe the place that you are getting your tank refilled is not doing it properly. They are suppose to release the pressure in the tank before they fill it. I once took my tank to a different place and noticed that the girl didn't release the pressure and my tank did not last as long as the previous ones. Do you have your torch turned up high...you would know this if you are burning beads or getting scum on your clear or beads made with copper green, etc. I have my torch turned on pretty low so that I can work closer to the flame, rather than all the way out in the flame. Just a couple thoughts for you.

Kathie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kathie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-01-20, 12:45pm
Noobie

Thanks for the reply, Im going exchange it somewhere else this time...I work with my torch turned down low as it does help with not burning or scummy beads...thanks for your reply.
Old 2008-01-20, 5:52pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk5336 View Post
Hi Cherie,

I use a BBQ tank and I fill it up every month or 6 weeks, depending on how much I torch that month. I try to torch for 2-4 hours every day, sometimes on the weekend I will torch 5-6 hours. Maybe the place that you are getting your tank refilled is not doing it properly. They are suppose to release the pressure in the tank before they fill it. I once took my tank to a different place and noticed that the girl didn't release the pressure and my tank did not last as long as the previous ones. Do you have your torch turned up high...you would know this if you are burning beads or getting scum on your clear or beads made with copper green, etc. I have my torch turned on pretty low so that I can work closer to the flame, rather than all the way out in the flame. Just a couple thoughts for you.

Kathie
The is no such thing as releasing the pressure in tank.... Unless you totally empty tank. As long as there is ANY liquid propane in tank it will have PRESSURE in tank.

The valve that they may be opening (not to main valve) is a vapor release so when the vapor being released during fill process changes into liquid propane it is a indicator that tank is full..

Some places actually use a scales to check when tank is full during fill process.

Also you can weigh tank to see if its full... Typical propane tank when full should weigh in about 38 to 40 pounds...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-01-20 at 5:54pm.
Old 2008-01-21, 2:20am

You torch a lot more than I do, but every 3 days seems really really fast. I'm still on the tank I got before christmas, and during the holiday's I also did a lot of torching. I probably average 20 hrs a week.

do you have a pressure valve on the tank? I keep mine at the highest level. Then I can have the torch low and still get good heat.
Old 2008-01-21, 5:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
The is no such thing as releasing the pressure in tank.... Unless you totally empty tank. As long as there is ANY liquid propane in tank it will have PRESSURE in tank.

The valve that they may be opening (not to main valve) is a vapor release so when the vapor being released during fill process changes into liquid propane it is a indicator that tank is full..

Some places actually use a scales to check when tank is full during fill process.

Also you can weigh tank to see if its full... Typical propane tank when full should weigh in about 38 to 40 pounds...

Dale
Ok, dumb question Dale. I have a 30lb tank. How much would that weigh full and empty? Pleeeez? Thanks.

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2008-01-21, 8:32am
Noobie

Im not sure what you mean by a pressure valve....Do you mean a regulator? I got my hose from ABR..I think....But I bought the longest hose they had...which is really long. I have my propane tank sitting outside so I was wondering if it might be getting too cold?? Its been real cold here, below zero some days. Could that have something to do with it? I went somewhere else yesterday to get it filled so Im going to see how long this lasts me...I checked and double checked all of the fittings. I will be going to a 8m national next month. I am hoping that I wont need a bigger tank for this torch...I feel like I already need one for HH.
Thank You everyone for your replies!
Old 2008-01-21, 9:04am

Hi Cherie, I'm not sure about your propane consumption on your hot head torch, but I can tell you that when I used a one-pound container of propane with a hot head it only lasted around three or four hours. So, if you do that times 20, for your 20 lb. tank (I think that is what the BBQ size is called - not the weight, but what it will hold) then one would assume it would last around 60 hours of work. Now, that is just rough thinking and I am sure Dale can clairfy my obvious errors, but that seems to be a lot more than you are getting out of yours. When you are working, do you smell propane either at your torch or close to your tank? Propane has a very distinctive odor, so if it is leaking somewhere you should be able to smell it. I'm just curious if you do have what I consider to be a BBQ size tank. Perhaps we are thinking of different things. Here is a picture of what I consider the BBQ size tank. http://ww2.bluerhino.com/

With regard to your new torch next month, since you will be using oxygen with the propane, the propane should last a lot longer. I generally have to refill my propane tank after I have used 6 of the large oxy tanks. Your propane should last a lot longer.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-01-21, 9:14am
Cats & Glass!

Are you guys really using Propane with a HotHead? I thought that you had to use Chemtane, or another gas as Propane was too dirty? When I use mine for demos and such, I use 1lb containers of MAPP gas.

Janelle

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2008-01-21, 9:23am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelle Zorko View Post
Are you guys really using Propane with a HotHead? I thought that you had to use Chemtane, or another gas as Propane was too dirty? When I use mine for demos and such, I use 1lb containers of MAPP gas.

Janelle
Yes you can user propane with a HH.... You need to work a little further out in flame (2-3 inches further out) where combustion process is more complete...

As for the dirty propane... Seems to be a "local" issue...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-01-21 at 10:03am.
Old 2008-01-21, 9:58am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramag View Post
Ok, dumb question Dale. I have a 30lb tank. How much would that weigh full and empty? Pleeeez? Thanks.

Tanks have the "TARE WEIGHT" stamped into the safety collar that surrounds the valve... Mine is 18.5 lbs.

Propane weight 4.24 pound to the gallon.

You need to know the gallon capacity of the tank. The tanks we mostly use are the 5 gallon tank associated with the ubiquitous BBQ... So... IF your tank weigh 18.5 pounds and propane weight 4.24 pounds to the gallon its simple math...

4.24lbs x 5gal= 21.2 lbs - weight of propane
21.2 lbs + 18.5 TW = 39.7 lbs.

A full #20 (BBQ) tank should weigh "about" 39.7 lbs...

But tanks with a OPD valve can only be filled to 4.7 gallons..

So...

4.24 x 4.7 = 19.92 lbs
19.92 + 18.5 = 38.42 lbs

So a full "5 gallon" (#20 lb) propane tank should weigh in at "about" 38-39 pounds...

Here are the numbers for your 30 gallon tank. Whose capacity is 7.1 gallons, and weigh approx 25.4 pounds (empty-tare weight).

4.24 x 7.1 = 30.1
30.1 + 25.4 = 55.5

So a full #30 tank would weigh in about 55.5 pounds...

The results may very a little bit due to actual tank weight (tare weight) . Weight will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer of tanks

http://www.worthingtoncylinders.com/steelspec.html
http://www.npga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=633

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-01-21 at 10:02am.
Old 2008-01-21, 3:12pm
Burning Fingers!

When I used a HH, I was having to get the propane tank (small BBQ size) filled up every 3 - 4 weeks. That was torching a couple of times a week. Now that I am on a Nortel Minor with both propane and an oxycon it lasts for several months. You will use way more propane on a HH than with a duel fuel torch.

/
/
/

Old 2008-01-21, 7:19pm

i have been using HH for 6 months (will switch over as soon as gas man can hook up my new stuff I had a couple of problems with my tank too.... and got them filled two or three times when there was NO way they were empty. It is very frustrating, i have no answers (im a newbie absorbing learning), but i share your pain and confusion. I just hope my new system is better (once it was my hose and i had to get another $40 hose!!!)
Old 2008-01-22, 5:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelle Zorko View Post

Janelle
I have to agree. I thought you had to use MAPP gas with the HotHead to get a hot enough flame for lampwork. I'll try a pound tank of propane and see how it goes. If I can use propane, this will change everything. Locally I can really only get MAPP in expensive 1lb tanks - but bbq propane!! Yeeha!! Let the torch time skyrocket!! Thanks guys.
Old 2008-01-22, 7:39pm
Noobie

I can not wait until I get my new system hooked up...I takes me about an hr. to make about 5 or 6 beads...I made a bi-cone, 3 striped beads and a cheetah bead..they turned out cute..but it takes sooo long..exspecially when I encase. I got my propane tank exchanged, but now Im getting a very small flame, but I think that is because my propane is sitting outside unprotected and its only about 7 degrees here. But Ill see how long this one lasts me. Thank You all for your input and suggestions!
Old 2008-01-22, 7:50pm

I worked on a hothead hooked up to a bbq size propane tank for the first year. I didn't have any problems until it got cold outside. I found that my torch wouldn't work when the propane was too cold. In the morning it wouldn't light (like the propane was out) and then when the sun was high enough and it warmed up a bit it worked fine.
Old 2008-01-22, 11:55pm
It's all about the color.

I use propane with my hothead, but if I'm doing a demo anywhere I switch to mapp. I don't have any problems with burning stuff.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2008-01-23, 3:35am
offically down under

I torched a fair amount on my HH and a 20 lb tank (9 kg) would last about 3 months. I suggest that you weigh your tank both when it is empty and then, again, after you've had it filled.

Old 2008-01-24, 7:55pm
Noobie

Shoot..I am out of propane again...and I Just got it filled...I wonder if it has something to do w/ the cold weather?? I brought it inside to warm up and will bring it out again tommorrow to see...this is so depressing
Old 2008-01-24, 8:01pm
Smile, it's contagious!

I use bulk propane w/ my HH and it lasts quite a long time. I have heard of people using heating pads or electric blankets wrapped around the tank to keep it from getting too cold in the frigid temps. I've never had to try anything like that, so I don't know how well it works.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2008-01-25, 7:50am
Noobie

I ran out of propane again last night..or so it seemed, I brought my tank in to let it warm up and Ill bring it out to see if its the cold that could be making it seem like it is out of propane...This is frustrating, not to mention getting expensive!
Old 2008-01-25, 9:18am
Gentleman of Leisure

The pressure in propane tank is directly proportional to temperature... Just because you loose pressure, it does not mean tank is empty... Tank weight or liquid level in tank will determine if tank is empty...

http://www.flameengineering.com/Propane_Info.html

Dale

Old 2008-01-25, 10:18am

I've been re-reading this post again this morning and thought of something else. When you finish torching for the day do you turn off the propane on the bbq tank all the way and then bleed the line at the torch? I'm sure you are, but just thought I'd mention it as a possibility. I have to do that to my bbq grill because I have a tiny leak in the line somewhere and it's a good practice to do that with your torch anyway. Does that make sense? ) Just a thought....this is bugging me for some reason! LOL
Old 2008-01-26, 9:44am
Noobie

Yes, I bleed the line after every use...I had brought my propane in to warm up...two refills in a few days seemed like way to much propane to be going through...I brought the tank back outside and it worked fine for about an hr. then it seemed like it was running low again...I brought it back in again, let it warm up and when I brought it back outside I set it on a blanket. I havent had problems since...Before It was just sitting in snow, Im off to menards to find a box of some sort to keep the tank inside. When the weather is about 20 degrees or below is when it really seems to affect the propane. I need to move to a warmer state
Old 2008-01-26, 10:01am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie View Post
Before It was just sitting in snow, Im off to menards to find a box of some sort to keep the tank inside. When the weather is about 20 degrees or below is when it really seems to affect the propane.
BINGO....

Dale