Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2008-07-28, 3:08am
Colors outside the lines

Malcolm, I PM'd you about a tin of the bubble beads.

Leah
Old 2008-07-28, 9:30am

*** Update ***

I just measured the stainless steel tins. They are actually 4-1/2" deep, not the 7" deep I had originally posted. That's what I get for trying to translate and convert a Japanese web site
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

So, the actual size is 9" x 9" x 4-1/2", with over 4 liters of annealing bubbles in each tin.

Shipping for a single tin is about $11.50 via Priority Mail within the continental US.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2008-07-28, 11:33am
formerly JewelsByJenny

So the total is $31.50 including shipping?

Jenny

Old 2008-07-28, 12:52pm

Quote:
So the total is $31.50 including shipping?
Yes, $31.50 is the price of 1 tin, 4 liters of annealing bubbles, and shipping.

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2008-08-03, 12:09am
Totally Lost

Quote:
Hey, De
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've also have some 9" x 9" x 7" stainless steel tins with lids, full of the annealing bubbles (much more than in the zip-loc bag), for $20.

Malcolm
I hope you don't sell out... I'd like to get some of this from you sometime. (not now...too broke
)

Old 2008-12-11, 2:28am
Chime

In one of the glass studio that I'm doing my workshop, they have these really white very fine sand like material used to cool the beads. I find my beads rarely crack using this. It is so easy to slide the bead into it, no pressure needed. I guess this must be one of the reasons why my beads rarely crack, with vermiculite - I need to dig the bead into it resulting with crack beads, I guess ....
But the staff in the studio also doesn't know what these material is since the factory that gave it to them for trial has already closed. Does anyone know what these is and where to get them?
Old 2008-12-11, 1:40pm

Quote:
In one of the glass studio that I'm doing my workshop, they have these really white very fine sand like material used to cool the beads. I find my beads rarely crack using this. It is so easy to slide the bead into it, no pressure needed. I guess this must be one of the reasons why my beads rarely crack, with vermiculite - I need to dig the bead into it resulting with crack beads, I guess ....
But the staff in the studio also doesn't know what these material is since the factory that gave it to them for trial has already closed. Does anyone know what these is and where to get them?
This sounds like the Annealing Bubbles I have here. The bubbles are smooth little spheres, just a little bigger than a grain of sand, and ranging from white to gray in color.

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2008-12-11, 2:05pm
Duchess of Dichro

Malcom , how much are the bubbles & do you have them in stock ?

Old 2008-12-11, 2:45pm

Or where do you get these bubbles????
Thanks Malcolm

Old 2008-12-11, 3:12pm

I do have these in stock. A large Ziploc bag with 1.75 liters (about 1/2 gallon) of bubbles costs $7.00. A 9" x 9" metal tin with 4 liters of bubbles costs $20.00.

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2008-12-11, 3:49pm
Duchess of Dichro

Quote:
I do have these in stock. A large Ziploc bag with 1.75 liters (about 1/2 gallon) of bubbles costs $7.00. A 9" x 9" metal tin with 4 liters of bubbles costs $20.00.

Malcolm
Ohh good ! Will a bag of them fill a coffee can or 2 ?

Old 2008-12-11, 4:48pm
Chime

Thanks Malcolm for your reply. I saw the pictures online for the annealing bubbles and I thought they're bigger and round in texture. The one I saw is like fine sand, like the ones used in the hour glass and its very white in color. Hope this is really the annealing bubbles coz it really works wonders.
Old 2008-12-11, 7:02pm

Quote:
Ohh good ! Will a bag of them fill a coffee can or 2 ?
Probably most of one can.

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2009-03-01, 7:48pm

Malcolm, do you still have the annealing bubbles? I would really like to get away from using vermiculite in my Crockpot, and i have heard that these are an excellent replacement.

Thanks!

- 20% off for LE members!

[size="3"]Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. - Dale Carnegie
Old 2009-03-02, 10:04am

Yes, we still have them

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2009-03-02, 3:38pm
Arrow Springs

Default Scientific Testing of vermiculite, perlite, ceramic fiber etc.

Hi LE!

This is my first post. I just wanted to jump in here and tell you about the experiment we did way back when we were designing our annealing kiln. We needed to know how well it worked all the way through the bead - so this is what we tried and the results:

I made a bead right on a thermocouple that was hooked up to a computer with a program to read out the temperatures.

1 - a bead went into vermiculite after flame annealing - the temperature at the contact point of the thermocouple plummeted to about 385F and then slowed down.
2 - a bead went into the 1" thick ceramic fiber blanket folded over and the temperature at the contact point of the thermocouple plummeted, much slower, but still raced through the annealing range to again around 385F

Perlite might give the same result as vermiculite, we didn't test that, but the ceramic fiber blanket worked better. I don't know prices on it but I think it's around $8 for a fairly large piece, don't quote me on it
Neither vermiculite or fiber was any kind of substitution, of course, for proper annealing.

Just wanted to add this product to the mix since it worked better than vermiculite.

Have a great day
Old 2009-03-02, 7:54pm

Default welcome Back!

Hello Donna, welcome back to LE, we have missed you, glad you are here!

Mike Frantz

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206