LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-06-22, 6:31am
Companion

Default Swirly frit beads

Can anyone give me a hint how to make them? I tried gravity swirling on clear and a clear paddle dipped in frit and then swirled over a white or clear core. The do not even look similar to the ones i love so much. Any tips? Thanks

Don't you cry no more
Old 2013-06-22, 6:59am

Don't make a clear paddle, or a core. Just get 1" hot enough to get the frit to stick and get one side fairly well saturated with the frit. I like to use my squashers to make the rod end narrow and straight like it was before. heat your spot on the mandrel, apply and wrap, then self encase with the same clear. just keep going until all the frit is encased.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Amethyst_briolette; 2013-06-22 at 7:04am.
Old 2013-06-22, 7:17am
Tweedle Dumb

Have you tried gravity swirling after you have it encased? So, base bead rolled in frit. Melt it down most of the way. Encase. Let it gravity swirl while you are melting in the clear.

Worth a try.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2013-06-22, 2:36pm

Did you contact the artist?
Old 2013-06-22, 5:51pm
Companion

Thanks for your suggestions, i'll try them all!

Beadbroad, i did. She wasn't online in the last week.
Don't you cry no more
Old 2013-06-26, 10:49am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Those are made, I think, by dipping a clear rod (or light transparent) in frit, melt in to the rod. Then use that to make the bead. You automatically swirl and encase in one step.

Last edited by pierces*designs; 2013-06-26 at 10:52am.
Old 2013-06-26, 1:07pm
Frit frit and more frit!

Personally I make a small core of clear, then dip clear in frit and melt it in to the gather. Add wraps of fritty glass over clear core, stretching the glass out into ribbons rather than blobbing it on. Keep going until your frit dip is used, then keep going with the clear until all the fritty saturated glass is covered / encase. Shape as you like. Hope that makes sense?
Old 2013-06-26, 10:53pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Interesting, because neither of those 2 pics show what frit would normally look like (spots/dots), they look like ribbons or stringer.

Old 2013-06-27, 7:38am
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I've gotten that effect by placing dots of color over a clear base then letting gravity swirl the dots after getting the entire gather soupy. Then encasing, dotting, melting in, and gravity again. Then I encase the entire bead after finishing shaping. Gives depth to the ribbons of color in the clear.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2013-06-27, 8:02am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierces*designs View Post
Those are made, I think, by dipping a clear rod (or light transparent) in frit, melt in to the rod. Then use that to make the bead. You automatically swirl and encase in one step.
This.
I also sell this style of beads, so does Lori Bergmann and a couple of other LE peeps.
As Debbie says: melt tip of clear rod, dip into frit, melt in and create bead as you would normally do.
Instant ribbons of gorgeous color, automatic encasing of the frit in one step = instant gratification

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2013-06-28, 2:59pm
Companion

Thanks a lot for all your tips

I tried it today and it worked very well. And now i know why it didn't work before. I used the wrong frit. It just got dark and ugly.

I'll post pics tomorrow
Don't you cry no more
Old 2013-06-29, 5:49am
Companion

Attached Images

Don't you cry no more
Old 2013-06-29, 4:52pm
ASamples33

Here is free tutorial http://www.glassdiversions.com/tutorials.html that will help
Old 2013-06-29, 6:36pm
Melody of Glass

Looks like you've got it figured out. Love that first set in particular, Steffi! Great job!

All of you who have suggested dipping your rod of clear in frit and then making your bead and encasing all in one step.....you've changed my life! Awesome idea. Thanks!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-06-30, 11:42am

Stumbled upon this thread and now THERE is HOPE! for the small amount of frit I overlook day after day after day...

-> I'm Chuck, I like Glass Dots
mini cc - natural gas - oxycon - 104 coe
Old 2013-06-30, 12:30pm

The fun part is making your own...If not sure how to mix the colors pick up Val's book.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2013-07-01, 7:26am

Beautiful swirly frit beads!

Many thanks to all who posted how to make this style of bead. I have been melting glass since 2005 and *just lately* have begun playing with frit. My goodness, I have been missing out on lots of fun!!

--Best regards,
Helene
Old 2013-07-01, 7:35am

This technique is listed in Val Cox's excellent frit book too .. that's where I learned it. It's just a great way to use frit. Here are a few from me.

Old 2013-07-01, 7:59am
Melody of Glass

Wow. Gorgeous. I am going to pull that book out and read it again. Evidently I missed some good tricks!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-07-09, 12:44pm

Most of my frit is 96coe. Can I use 104coe clear or transparent glass with 96coe frit to obtain the swirly look? Do I need a clear/trans. glass that's also 96coe? Thanks
Old 2013-07-09, 12:56pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn Hipskind View Post
Most of my frit is 96coe. Can I use 104coe clear or transparent glass with 96coe frit to obtain the swirly look? Do I need a clear/trans. glass that's also 96coe? Thanks
Carolyn, you can, the rule of thumb is supposed to be 5% of the overall glass can be 96 when using 104 as a base. But, that rule can be stretched due to the 96 often having lead content with allows it to be more "compatible".

The funny thing is it does not work the other way around. You cannot use 96 base glass with 104 frit, especially on the surface. Cracks galore!

Old 2013-07-09, 2:10pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

Pay attention to your layering order, also.
If you wanted a white base layer, you would dip that color last, ie: transparent color/colors, melt in, then pick up white.
Old 2013-07-09, 3:58pm

Thanks Debbie, just the answer I wanted to hear. I know about % of 96coe on the surface of 104 but not the inside of the bead. I've made a few test beads with this combo & keep watching for cracks; now I can relax & use them.
Old 2013-07-09, 7:21pm
MacGalver

I layer clear 104 to encase 96 frit all the time (104 base bead, also) and have not had any problems. I do make sure they go into the kiln as hot as possible and use a conservative annealing schedule, but I've never had a problem~

Jo