Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-01-17, 5:32pm
Definitely having fun

Default Momka glass "user guide"

Is there a "users guide" for Momkas glass ?

What I am looking for is a quick glance list or chart that explains each color and the different effects when worked with different flames (reducing, oxidizing, flame striking...etc)

I have the one from Northstar and it is great to have a gander at before I play Mad Boro scientist in my makeshift lab, but I have not found one for Momka yet.

Chris

Last edited by Brandywine; 2010-01-18 at 8:20am.
Old 2010-01-17, 9:36pm
WeBeadTogether

You could try emailing Momka, I do know she had some artists working to create a guide.
momkapeeva@momkasglass.com
hope this helps.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-21, 9:13pm

Default Momka's color

Eugene Rain did a very good test of the colors here.

http://www.thegldg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25

You may have to join the forum to read it but "The Melting Pot" is a great glass site.
Old 2010-01-22, 7:33am
Definitely having fun

Great info,

Thanks much for the link. There is some good info there.

Looks like I will have to compile snippits of information and make my own list.

I emailed Momka but have not heard back from them yet.

Chris
Old 2010-03-02, 6:15pm

Default momka info

i have not found any useful information on Monika's, even on their site. their site is very incomplete, unlike glass alchemy and northstar. also it would be nice if their glass would strike to come close to what their images show. silver iris will not strike no matter what i do. an instructor at Sonoran glass art academy also tried and he could not. while some of their colors are dazzling i am thinking of not buying anymore of their glass.

on a positive note, their blue flambe almost strike just by looking at it.

i am disappointed with their glass.
Old 2010-03-02, 6:30pm

And hey, did they remove a lot of info from the NS user guide?

Old 2010-03-02, 9:23pm
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowery View Post
i have not found any useful information on Monika's, even on their site. their site is very incomplete, unlike glass alchemy and northstar. also it would be nice if their glass would strike to come close to what their images show. silver iris will not strike no matter what i do. an instructor at Sonoran glass art academy also tried and he could not. while some of their colors are dazzling i am thinking of not buying anymore of their glass.

Momka has great glass! Give it a chance . . . .
There are a bunch of great threads in the boro room about Momka's glass, so it you do a search you might find some great info. All of the mixed canes are fantastic cut into slices for murrini or pulled for twisties. Purple Thunder is one of the easiest striking purples out there. I love Almond Nugget and Cherry Blossom.

Try clicking on the colors in Mountain Glass Arts website, they have information on there about what the color should do and what kind of flame does what.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-03-02, 9:40pm
yukue fumei

Quote:

I never stop by LE anymore but happened to check in today--I'm glad I saw this thread !
Hi snowery!
Sorry that you are having trouble getting the colors to work for you....
Momka is a boutique manufacturer so she doesn't have the resources to make a fancy site--maybe I can help you?
What colors did you need help on? Can you give me a quick run down of your set up(torch, oxygen resource, kiln settings) so we can all help troubleshoot? thank you!

nagi

Old 2010-03-02, 9:43pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Quote:

I feel your pain and have experienced everything you are talking about........however..........I have suddenly started having great success with several of the colors I bought from Momka and had not been able to get anything but poop from before. Don't know how, don't know why, just "pop" now they work! And the colors are really pretty. I can say that I have always loved Magic Mirror. I find it does the pretty shimmery thing when used as raised surface application or when I pull off bits to use as flower petals. I also get pink, peach and amber/orange out of it underneath the shimmer. I don't get the shimmery stuff by reducing, it happens when I'm working in an oxy flame. I also found that the longer I cook Momka colors, the more the color cooks out. Try heating the end of the rod, pull off a piece with tweezers and see what it does. That was how I discovered what Magic Mirror could do. The other colors that truely vexed me were Caribbean Coral, American Beauty and Orchard Plum Harvest. All I got was icky brownish poop colors. I had resigned myself to having spent a whole lotta money for a whole lotta nuttin' then one day I picked them up again and worked them LESS and got the colors! American Beauty is nice when you dip it in clear frit......brings out some cooler red tones rather than the blood red it usually does. If you put NS Caramel or Butterscotch frit on it, it will develop fucshia around the edges of the frit. With both Caribbean Coral and Orchard Plum Harvest I found that if I made a bead, got it molten ONCE and burned off the haze, cooled it QUITE A WHILE, then struck it in the mid to upper regions of the flame, the color came out to play. Caribbean Coral is just that, a really pretty striped-ish coral/orange, very yummy. OPH turns a dark plum. I did also experiment with Caribbean Coral by making a quick spiral wrap about an inch along my mandrel and just flame smoothing the begining and ending spots. I didn't even get it molten or burn the haze off because I kept the same wrap texture that I made when I wound it on. It gave me some really soft pink/orange coral colors.

So, long story short, Momka's glass is very pretty when it decides to play nice with you. I wish they had a good users manual like NS and GA too because I almost gave up on their glass as well. As it is, I am slower to add new Momka colors just because the learning curve is so sloooooooooow to master. But the colors that I can work are really pretty and I will definitely order more Magic Mirror!

Good luck, keep trying, try working it in ways you would never consider working other boro colors!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-03-02, 9:54pm
Pyromaniac

I've heard people say Momka's colors are "advanced" but I think people have problems with some of the colors because they are super saturated and it takes some practice to see how they work in your torch and kiln environment.

Keep trying, you'll get it.

Old 2010-03-02, 11:19pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
I've heard people say Momka's colors are "advanced" but I think people have problems with some of the colors because they are super saturated and it takes some practice to see how they work in your torch and kiln environment.

Keep trying, you'll get it.
I agree with you Lana. I have also thought that Momka's colors are for grown ups and I just didn't have enough experience with boro to really know how to work them but now after getting some good results with previously frustrating colors, I am realizing that all that silver in the glass is what is going tan on me when I work it too long. I was trying to work it like DAP or other silver colors that like to be beat up a bit but Momka's colors like a lighter touch.........at least in my limited experience. It kind of comes back to the "Magic Mirror" thing, last week I thought I would try working it like Momka's website said and all I got was a fugly clear bead. When I pull it into a stringer or use it to make flower petals I get the really great colors and the metals come out to play but it is the result of NOT working the glass much, just heating it, pulling it, placing it and then NOT MUCKING AROUND with it much before finishing the piece. Now that I am aware of it's "temperment" I am liking Momka's glass MUCH better!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-06-24, 5:20am
Redhot Torch Mama

Can someone tell me how to really get Purple Thunder to sing? I know it's supposed to be easy but I'm not having tremendous luck with it.
Thanks,
Kelly

Old 2010-06-24, 5:34am
Pyromaniac

I think you work like any amber purple type color:
heat it hot, clear hot.
Cool below glow (no visible red glow under the table).
heat in tip of flame to strike. Most of the time it will strike on its own without this step.

I used it yesterday on a little vase and did not even have to do those steps, it just did it on its own when I was working other areas, the previous areas would strike.

Old 2010-06-24, 6:05am
Tonbodama Murrini maker

I made a PDF color guide, showing the colors, color name and info on how to work it. Based on the manufacturers info.

You can get a download here: Momka Glass - Color Guide

I am workign on a similar color guide for Glass Alchmey, Northstar

Currently on a Knight Bullet and 2 oxycons and tanked oxy

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 2010-06-24, 7:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotBeads View Post
Can someone tell me how to really get Purple Thunder to sing? I know it's supposed to be easy but I'm not having tremendous luck with it.
Thanks,
Kelly
When she tests them she flashes them in the flame back a bit and she mentioned something about the more heat the more purple. Her newer one Violet Medley is great purples too
Hope that helps.
The operation just got moved a month ago so she is trying to get everything back organized. She's about a mile from Trev's Store.

Last edited by sunray; 2010-06-24 at 9:18pm.
Old 2010-06-24, 12:53pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
I never stop by LE anymore but happened to check in today--I'm glad I saw this thread !
Hi snowery!
Sorry that you are having trouble getting the colors to work for you....
Momka is a boutique manufacturer so she doesn't have the resources to make a fancy site--maybe I can help you?
What colors did you need help on? Can you give me a quick run down of your set up(torch, oxygen resource, kiln settings) so we can all help troubleshoot? thank you!
Doesn't take much to set up a nice site. I could set one up in exchange for a few pounds of glass...

Old 2010-06-24, 1:19pm
Pyromaniac

Nice QR code...

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-06-24, 1:22pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Nice QR code...
I do what I can...

Old 2010-07-02, 6:01pm

Christina,
Many Thanks for sharing your Momka GlassColor guide!
Old 2010-07-10, 1:42am
Tonbodama Murrini maker

Your welcome.

I am working on a guide for Glass Alchemy and Northstar as well

Currently on a Knight Bullet and 2 oxycons and tanked oxy

|
|
|
|
|
|