LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-11-12, 6:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatPat View Post
I had been sick for awhile so the time I wasn't on the torch really put me in a slump . So Ive been taking it slow so here's a lil jelly from the other night.

Beautiful, and get well soon!

Would you mind telling me how you do the dot implosion to get layered tentacles like that? I can't seem to wrap my head around it. Do you fully implode a set of dots, before applying the next? And if so, Do you apply the next a little farther away than where the imploded ones come together?

Thanks!
Old 2013-11-12, 7:12pm
Phragile Glasswerks

Basically i do a small circle of dots implode a lil flatten implode again. Then I layer more dots around that circle usually bout two rows. Then implode again all the way . It gets hard cuz the devit from hell will form if not carefull . But can be avoided if not your dot for the cap will conceal it. I have been playing around with different ways to make the tentacles. But that is the way i usually do it. Thanks for looking!
Old 2013-11-14, 10:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatPat View Post
Basically i do a small circle of dots implode a lil flatten implode again. Then I layer more dots around that circle usually bout two rows. Then implode again all the way . It gets hard cuz the devit from hell will form if not carefull . But can be avoided if not your dot for the cap will conceal it. I have been playing around with different ways to make the tentacles. But that is the way i usually do it. Thanks for looking!
Thanks! I tried it last night, but I think I imploded the first dots too much, because they started thinning out and curling up, while the next sets of dots did not curl/implode enough. I'll have to keep trying
Old 2013-11-21, 9:17am

So I tried this for the first time last night and loved the technique - thank you for posting it...

After cranking out 3 or 4 jelly pendants I figured I'd try to work one into a marble... here is what I did by I'm looking for ways to improve on the process (sorry, I don't have photos but can post some later)

1) normal jelly just as described on the first post and I back it with frit but no loop at the top.

2) punty up to the "front" of the jelly, as closer to "center" as you can get on an uneven shape....

3) create a round shape by applying clear to the sides of the jelly until (if you look at it from the front or the back) it balances out the shape.... don't worry about the front being round yet, just create a round center diameter.

4) now that the center is round, use whatever technique to want to back the marble. I did some just filled in with dark color, others I tried a "base head" tech too

5) round out the back half of your marble

6) switch your punty from the front to the back of the marble (the front of your marble will still be mis-shapen because we only added glass to the back half)

7) very carefully add more clear, more on the sides and less on the top/bottom of the jelly until you've "built out" the front of the marble around the jelly.

carefully heat and round out the marble but watch out for the marble mold twisting your jelly if you push too hard.

I hope that makes sense, I made two marbles like this late last night to experiment and I think it will work nicely (each about 1.25") and I'll post pics later.... or maybe wait until I make a cleaner one.
Old 2013-11-21, 6:56pm
Phragile Glasswerks

Hey artifexVitri here are couple i did the other night jus havent finished them. It's ok if they start curling a lil jus when ure pulling them of that rod. With a small flame focus heat rt at the last layer of tentacles and as u spin and pull they will straighten up or u can twist em.

Last edited by PhatPat; 2013-11-21 at 6:59pm.
Old 2013-11-21, 9:12pm

The yellow looks good, Pat
Old 2013-11-22, 7:07am

First jelly as a pendant and then two "prototype" attempts at marbles - I wasn't trying to be clean, just see how badly I deform the jelly before getting a round shape.... still needs work....
Attached Images

Old 2013-11-25, 2:21pm

Hey guys, love this thread, just wanted to share some of my jellies

Sorry for the bluury pic ^

Old 2013-11-25, 3:40pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Nice job, Jonny B. Angelique

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2013-11-25, 5:28pm

Thank you!

I've been having a blast making these lately. Here's some more.

Last edited by Jonny B; 2013-11-26 at 10:12am.
Old 2013-11-28, 6:22am

Those are really cool!

Some more here from me:

Boro jelly 19, had a bad day all round here, with colour choice and shaping... The jellyfish is Momka exotic citrus and Chinese white - I was surprised it went so pink! Was expecting more yellows. (White is mixed, I can't really tell any difference. I guess it makes a difference in smoothness in things as precise as John Kobuki's flowers?). There is more white in the background, so I shouldn't have put it in the tentacles too. The backing colour is the part I do like, it is Momka green flambé and has all sorts of colours in it. I've taken a shot of the back just to show how different it looks on the surface vs encased. I like! ('Scuse the bubbly scum).

Jelly 20, much better! Here the jellyfish is Momka silver flambé and the backing is American Beauty. The silver flambé seems a fairly similar kind of thing to the green - it has all sorts of muted colours in it.

Jelly 21. The jellyfish is Momka silver pine. I couldn't find anything about whether you could implode this colour, it being a green. I did find reference to encasing it ok, so decided to try and see. I have what appears to be a small amount of checking in the cental tentacles, so it looks like the answer is no. The cap is fine, so picking another tentacle colour to go with it should work. It's a pretty blue-tinged green - no problem keeping this for myself! The backing was the silver flambé, which changes colour quite a bit depending on the angle of the light. Unencased on the back it looks similar to the green flambé, with loads of reddish purple. Straight on in normal light you mostly see greens and blues with a little purple, and in very bright direct light some more purple is visible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-11-28, 7:27am
Flamewoman

Really nice work everyone! Jonny B and Heather love your jellies!

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-12-04, 3:27am

I made some Christmas jellyfish.

Jelly 22. This is Chinese white, Momka carmen red, and the backing is Momka sparkly green. I like the carmen red over white on the cap, but on its own in the tentacles it thins out too much. That's why there's such a gap between the upper and lower tentacles: the outer ones were all red and they don't show up enough. The sparkly green's transparent and not a super-saturated one - used like this, the sparkle I got looks more like airy glass. Not bad, just not blingy.

Jelly 23. I made cane with Chinese white encased in Momka cherry brandy for this. The tentacles are a mixture of that and pure white ones. I think the cane worked well. It's a pinker red than the carmen, though. The backing for this is Momka ivy green, which is an absolutely gorgeous colour, reasonably opaque.

Here they are side-by-side.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-12-04, 6:24pm

Very pretty, and you even made them in Christmas colors!
Old 2013-12-06, 1:40pm
Lampwork junkie

Default my 1st set of Jellyfish

You guys are so inspiring, I finally got up the nerve and tried some Jellyfish of my own, after having looked longingly at the beauties you guys have made, and here they are. I LOVE them!!! And so much fun to make!! Thank you all for the inspiration!
Old 2013-12-07, 2:46am

That is lovely, Bernhard.
Annie, those are so cool!

I think I should concentrate on my caps next, because the shapes I get are hugely irregular.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-12-11, 9:34pm

Well then, you better re-define "decent", 'cause I don't see anything wrong with that one! Having pretty good results myself, but my caps seem to come out pretty flat (or barely curved) and haven't been able yet to figure out how to get more of a "bell curve" like Anniedoski's. I thought pushing harder into the second gather would do it, but no, still barely curved. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've been getting great looking (imho) tentacles alternating Momka's blue & green flambes as my compression rings. Keep 'em coming!

Last edited by glowinglass; 2013-12-11 at 9:37pm.
Old 2013-12-11, 9:44pm
Bernhard Riegler

Thank you Glowingglass - I make my caps by marvering - you have to tool it - some use a stainless knife. Same with the clear over the cap - tool it down, or your cap will touch the outside.

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2013-12-12, 4:23pm
Lampwork junkie

Glowingglass, I'm glad you like my caps. The only thing I do is make sure they are melted in really well, the when I put the blob of clear on top I use my butter knife and go around, one small area at a time and squish the clear down over the top. And so far it has been making caps that I am very happy with.
Old 2013-12-12, 4:26pm
Flamewoman

Ah GREAT WORK everyone! so nice to see all the different species of jellyfish come to life here.

Here is a proto type for something I have been thinking of. It will not be something I make to sell, this is just for me, and I rarely make stuff for myself.
This is to sit in my kitchen window to hold my rings when I cook, make meatloaf, etc. It is 5 inches tall, I made it in 2 pieces. The bottom got too flat, so you can't see the nice sea anoenome , but it was a miracle that it stands as straight as it does. I'm not good with large pieces, would not want to get an order for 10 of these, kind of a b*tch to make.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-12-12, 4:36pm
Flamewoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onekura View Post
Thank you Glowingglass - I make my caps by marvering - you have to tool it - some use a stainless knife. Same with the clear over the cap - tool it down, or your cap will touch the outside.
Bernhard give this a try ~ when you make your cap leave it really pointed like a teepee. Then heat a large gather on another rod that's the same or bigger diameter the fish is on, and plunge it on it will flatten out the cap some, then burn off the clear rod leaving like a ball on top of the fish. Melt only the rim of this glass and I really like to push it down with graphite of some sort, I don't want any metal marks in the glass. Blastshield makes a tool called the butterknife, but a small paddle works too, and I have reshaped some of my older paddles for specific uses, a dremel and some fine sandpaper does wonders on an old graphite tool. Melt the glass down around the cap by focusing the heat from below. Then if it's still not enough clear, I'm not afraid to run a ring of clear around the seam and melt that in. Glad to see the fume king chillin with a jellyfish, lol.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-12-12, 5:12pm
Bernhard Riegler

Mary, wonderful work. I love your jellyfish-combo. And thank you for the tips. I love to chill with the jellies - always good for eye candy and omg - do I have to try a fumed jelly next?

Old 2013-12-12, 7:27pm

Thanks for all the helpful hints people! I've been pushing my clear down by inverting the jelly immediately after the "push-in" and rotating it in the corner of my L-marver. I'll give my butter knife a workout next session.
Old 2013-12-12, 7:33pm
Lampwork junkie

Mary K, that ring holder is amazing! Love all of your jellyfish, you are a wonderful teacher! Thank you so much for all of your instruction in this tread!
Old 2013-12-13, 10:07pm
Flamewoman

Wow, I thought this thread was gone. Is this new, this subforum? Maybe I never saw it up there? I hope everyone finds it here, I want to keep seeing those fish!

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-12-14, 6:00am

Mary, your ring stand is great!

Yup, it's a new subforum in here. Will have to remember to check in it.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-12-19, 11:13pm
Bernhard Riegler

I just cant watch this thread die, so here we go - Fumijelly - no colours used at all
Attached Images

Old 2013-12-19, 11:23pm
Loving learning

Thank you everyone for the amazing work, I can't wait to give it a try (but I'll have to wait a bit).
Old 2014-03-07, 2:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny B View Post
Thank you!

I've been having a blast making these lately. Here's some more.

What color did you use for the teal tentacles? I tried super unobtainium over clear, and it checked. .. I guess I just can't learn my lesson...
Attached Images

Old 2014-03-14, 10:15am

Here is my go at Jellies... I did this Mary K's way. Thanks for looking!

- Alpha