Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2016-12-29, 9:33am
Corgi Cult Member

Default Glass recommendation?

I am making the table arrangements for my DD's wedding. I plan to make organic, somewhat plantlike shapes that will be arranged in groups. The prototypes were made from points pulled from 30mm x 2mm scalloped tubing. The point end narrow and the wide end worked into a trumpet ruffle shape, or closed and blown into a bubble. I would also like to use some flat rod to make foliage like pieces and round rod to make gather style pieces.

I was wondering if there are any other shapes or sizes of rod that would work particularly well? I've never used daisy or iris tube, or triangle or half round rod. Would these be useful or more useful than what I had planned? Also, is there a better scalloped tube size than 30x2? That's just what I had on hand. I will order a case of the most useful glass, but am not opposed to ordering a few rods of other glasses that would add interest.

Currently we haven't figured out how to attach everything to make them stand up, yet be secure on the tables. If I could get each 'neck' the same, we could use wood with holes drilled. I think the only way I could manage that would be to make the piece then melt on the neck by always using a piece of rod in a consistent diameter. Is there an easier way? I will need to be able to transport everything several states away, so planned to do final assemble once there.

Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-12-29, 10:24am
Loving learning

I am no help at all, but please show us what you do!
Old 2016-12-29, 12:59pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I am no help at all, but please show us what you do!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-12-29, 1:14pm
Loving learning

Well, I'm nosy!
Old 2016-12-29, 2:28pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Well, I'm nosy!
If I manage to pull this off well, I'll be glad to share photos. I figure $300-400 worth of clear boro + 8 months to get it done could result in something good, right? For what typical wedding centerpieces cost, I can buy a lot of boro and whatever I don't use won't go to waste. Plus I might be able to use all the pieces I make in some other way in the future.

Old 2016-12-29, 3:36pm
Loving learning

And it will be fabulous!
Old 2016-12-29, 4:25pm

We carry the flat rod, triangle rod,and square rod and other stuff at Trev's Glass send me a message at phyllis@trevsglass.com if we can help you find what you are looking for scalloped comes in several sizes

Last edited by sunray; 2016-12-29 at 4:28pm.
Old 2016-12-31, 3:31pm
ManBearPig

Scallop would be the best choice. On the Iris and Daisy the walls go from really thick to really thin. I tried some and I couldn't get anything usable out of them.

Old 2017-01-01, 7:25am
flight risk

Having never used shaped rod before... could you twist a square or triangular rod and still keep the edges? Kind of like blacksmiths do? It might make cool tall "sprigs" to add to the mix.

Old 2017-01-01, 10:59am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinainmymind View Post
Having never used shaped rod before... could you twist a square or triangular rod and still keep the edges? Kind of like blacksmiths do? It might make cool tall "sprigs" to add to the mix.
Yes. You definitely can.

Old 2017-01-06, 10:02am
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Scallop would be the best choice. On the Iris and Daisy the walls go from really thick to really thin. I tried some and I couldn't get anything usable out of them.
Oh shoot, I didn't see this before I ordered. At least I only got about 3 rods of each. Perhaps if I only shape them minimally they will behave better. DD wants an organic look, so that gives me a lot of leeway.

Mainly I ordered scallop tube in various sizes, solid triangle and flat.

Any idea how to cut the 5 foot iris and daisy, or should I just burn through?

Old 2017-01-08, 2:23pm

Kathy, I'd think the best way to arrange the glass would be florist's foam attached to a heavy (glass, ceramic, pottery, metal) base with florist's clay. The foam, either wet form or dry form, is very fine and accepts very small stems up to very large stems (glass bottoms). It's available at Michael's for sure, probably Hobby Lobby, Joanns, wholesale florist, maybe retail florist if you know them well.

The florist's clay looks just like green modeling clay but is very sticky. You use it on the foam before it gets wet for the wet form. You just stick the foam to the inside bottom of your container and voila', you have a stable base in which to stick stuff.
Old 2017-01-11, 3:45pm
Corgi Cult Member

Thanks for the suggestion!