AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Is your favorite tool specifically made for Lampwork or have "MacGyvered" one?
Store Purchased 219 67.18%
Handmade, baby! 95 29.14%
Tools? I don't use no stinkin' tools! 7 2.15%
I'm not telling you! 5 1.53%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-06-07, 2:11pm

Hi NLC Beads!
That's funny, almost the same here:

cuticle pusher - in fact my favourite tool! Didn't know anybody else uses this

I also love to use:
pliers, cut mandrels for pulling twisties, tungsten pick
Verena

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fritblends in COE 104:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-08, 6:57am
state-eternal change

One of my favourites is the osibin lentil shaper (has four divits for different sizes). It's my favourite for getting nice barrel shapes started (as I'm a newbie, still learning when to touch with the marver) too

Old 2007-06-09, 5:45pm

The tool I use the most is a pair of Martha Stewart ice tongs. They make nice tabs. They are slightly concave so they don't just flatten. I often use my Tapley lentil press first and then flatten the bead further with the ice tongs.

This set was made using both tools.

Cheryl

Old 2007-06-13, 9:57pm

The one I use the most is the same one that I have a few extra for sale in the garage sale.
I have made them for some of our great artist here on LE.
G.
Old 2007-06-14, 12:36pm

i recently bought jim moore tongs, they look like this from the end: ()
they are super cool! before that, my brass smasher from coonvalleyb on ebay, and one of his former tools with a V groove & a U groove & a flat back. I currently covet the japanese style trowel & tungsten pick tweezers.
Old 2007-06-14, 7:49pm
Covered in glitter

I'm a total tool ho but a recent addition to my kit is a palatte knife. It's got about 5 different angles to use. Its great!
http://www.dickblick.com/zz031/16/

Oh Lav, I want those tongs! I am so broke right now I have to wait and it's killin' me!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche

Last edited by debkauz; 2007-06-14 at 7:52pm.
Old 2007-06-14, 10:05pm
She better not sell these

i googled japanese style trowel

all i found were regular looking trowels made in japan... albeit, they were cheap! but i don't think that is what you guys are talking about.

what is it? this enquiring mind needs to know!

please please pretty pleeease

let me know where i can look at one of these mysterious things!!
Thanks

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2007-06-15, 12:36pm
Normal is Boring!!

LOL.....Martha Stewart ice tongs

Perfect- I could mix up a drink at the sametime!

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2007-06-15, 8:34pm
Covered in glitter

http://www.jplampwork.com/a3tools.htm
It's towards the bottom of the page listed as a shainy ...something

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-06-15, 8:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by afina View Post
Hi NLC Beads!
That's funny, almost the same here:

cuticle pusher - in fact my favourite tool! Didn't know anybody else uses this

I also love to use:
pliers, cut mandrels for pulling twisties, tungsten pick
Verena

Hi! Sorry, I didn't check back into the thread right away, I wasn't being rude!

I forgot my striker for the torch, and a small pair of tweezers for placing bits of frit... (You know, when you roll a bead in frit but it misses a spot or two, and rolling it again would be too much... Yeah... I'm a bit ridiculous...)

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2007-06-17, 9:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkauz View Post
http://www.jplampwork.com/a3tools.htm
It's towards the bottom of the page listed as a shainy ...something
The Japanese trowel thing is called a Kote. Not sure what that translates to, though.

http://www.artcoinc.com/kote.php

I also have the tungsten tweezers:

http://www.artcoinc.com/tweezers.php

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978

Last edited by ArtcoInc; 2007-06-17 at 9:59am.
Old 2007-06-23, 9:00pm
She better not sell these

Wow, that looks like a handy dandy tool! and not very expensive! No wonder I couldn't find it on google.

Thanks for info and the links!

My most used tool is probably my butter knife. Cost me 50 cents at the second hand store.

I also have a pencil I peeled some of the wood off and use the lead as a pusher. Works great.

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2007-06-25, 10:16am
Glass-aholic

razor blade on a xacto knife thinky....
brass stump shaper
really tiny REALLY pointy tweezers..ouch! but in a good way??!!!....lol
________
Wendie 99

Last edited by jaci; 2011-04-17 at 7:39pm.
Old 2007-06-25, 12:43pm
Storm Queen

Tungsten pick. I'm not sure I could make my beads without one so I bought a back up!

Old 2007-06-26, 2:20am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

my stumpshaper... I love that thing since the moment I layed eyes on it

Old 2007-10-25, 11:35am

Default Pictures to go along side?

Wow these are such great ideas...

Can I talk you all into some pictures of them? I am still new enough I am learning the "jargon" and knowing what they look like when you talk about them really helps.

Seeing your favorite "MacGyver" pieces gives me even more ideas...

So much to do, so little money!
Old 2007-10-26, 6:21am

The tool I use on almost every single bead is my graphite paddle with the Smircich balancing hole on the side. I guess that makes it my favorite because if it broke, I'd have to replace it right away before I could really make any more beads. Close seconds are my Target ice tongs and my Mags mashers.

Last edited by Debbie; 2007-10-26 at 7:29am.
Old 2007-10-26, 7:19am
Isinglass Design

Default more tools

Well, I was wanting to ask just this question. What luck. I've read some, so it's kind of like cheating. I have some marble or granite on each side of my torch, great for frit pick up, marvering, etc. Also the Target bar ice tongs are quite nice. And my graphite paddle, of course. And my favorite tool for pulling glass around is- what else- glass!

Laurie
Old 2007-10-26, 7:26am
Isinglass Design

Default More stuff

Oh, and I forgot. A little pair of tweezers with a trapzoidal tip. And my shears! I love those babies- use em for fish tails and fins and winglet shaping.

Laurie
Old 2007-10-28, 4:50am
Spectrum rulz

My Electric Mandrel Spinner - hands down cant make a bead without it.
Old 2007-10-28, 9:22am
Put beads on your head!

Stump Shaper!

Old 2007-10-28, 12:13pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

I cant live without my dentist tool. And I have a secret MacGyver one for my creature's wide smile.

Old 2007-10-29, 2:41pm
Don't be a zombie...

I like a 3 blade folding Old Henry knife that has various things done to the 3 blades. If I use a tool it would be that most of the time or a paddle.

Tobias
Old 2007-11-02, 6:51pm

Default Shamless Plug and some others I like

I have my favorites like my pick, My Mags Mashers. Which are the best lentil smashers made today. Here are the tools that we make. They are shaping tools I love the long flat 45 when making long long beads. left to right to bottom left. Flat 45, top shot, Front shot. Vgroove tool. and last but not least the back to back. makes nice round beads. SL
Attached Images

Last edited by StacyLynne; 2007-11-02 at 6:54pm. Reason: .
Old 2007-11-02, 10:35pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Pinking Sheers are my new favorite tool. My man says I can pass anything but a Snap On truck.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2007-11-03, 9:14am

Default Pinking shears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsGlass View Post
Pinking Sheers are my new favorite tool. My man says I can pass anything but a Snap On truck.
Pam... I need a new pair of shears. The ones I just got are too big... Cut tooo much glass with them. Where did you get yours?

StacyLynne

Last edited by StacyLynne; 2007-11-03 at 9:14am. Reason: .
Old 2007-11-03, 10:10am

Hello everyone,
I've looked into the Target ice tongs, it made by silicone and i don't know if it can stand hot glass. ??? Please let me know then i'll run out there to buy a set rightaway.
Most of my picks and pushers came from Menards. A set of 4 picks or pushers is less then 5 dollars. One of the pusher goes this way \, if you bend the other side it'll become like this \/, it'll be perfect for the heart bottom. Every time i come to Menards i found something, my DH prefers to go Menards all by himself. Guess what? He'll bring me tools.
Please don't forget to answer me about the ice tongs. Thanks.
Old 2007-11-03, 12:40pm
~ glass whisperer ~ lol

Brass Stump Shaper and tungsten pick.

Old 2007-11-03, 1:43pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynne View Post
Pam... I need a new pair of shears. The ones I just got are too big... Cut tooo much glass with them. Where did you get yours?

StacyLynne
ABR has a nice small set, just ask them for the small sheers. Sorry I don't have a part#. You can also check garden suppy for the small wire china type. I like them to have a thin tip for deep snips.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2007-11-03, 3:29pm
Molten Glass Addict

My favorite tool is my large tweezers!! I know, boring, but what would I do without it?

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie