No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-16, 2:53pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Default Polariscope question

If a 104 encased bead is going to crack because the core (like opals) doesn't like being encased, will that show up as stress in a polariscope? Or is it only thermal stress that shows up in a polariscope?

Reason I ask: cracks and bead breaks can take hours/days/weeks/months/years to happen, but the polariscope can generally tell me if a bead is stressed out as soon as I take it out of the kiln. SO, I'd like to be able to check for stress on a well-annealed, cored bead before I sell the bead, instead of setting the bead aside before listing it to wait for it to crack.

Does that make any sense?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

#M-191
Old 2012-08-16, 5:23pm

You would have to have a pretty thick encasement to be able to see the stress lines. You really need transmitted light to see them clearly. In my experience you can pretty much count on encased opalino or alabastro cracking if you encase it. there are always exceptions, but I just don't bother.

Robert
Old 2012-08-16, 5:28pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Thanks Robert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
You would have to have a pretty thick encasement to be able to see the stress lines. You really need transmitted light to see them clearly. In my experience you can pretty much count on encased opalino or alabastro cracking if you encase it. there are always exceptions, but I just don't bother.

Robert

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-08-18, 11:51am
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

I do have a trick for using opalinos with encasement. If the core of the bead is made with the the clear, then do an encasing layer of opal, then the clear encasement, you will have far less stress than just the base of opal alone. There is a term for this kind of trick, but it escapes my Saturday brain.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau