Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-14, 1:04pm
Naysayer

Default Hollows Question, kiln marks

I've made hollows before, but lately when trying there are marks from the fiber blanket
Can I maybe put down some kiln paper for them in the future or something else?
I do not use any kiln racks but I do have terra cotta pot shards, will that work to prop the mandrels up, or even lay them onto? I think I've read that but not sure.

They weren't too hot going in, in fact one I thought was about to crack because I was looking at the ends, so I don't get why they have the marks.

Also, can I refire these to get rid of it? I know I can redo but what a waste!

TIA!
Old 2012-08-14, 1:10pm

The only thing I know that can cause that is that they are too hot going in. I have been able to reheat solid beads to heal marks but hollows would be trickier to keep from cracking. I would definitely try using the pot shards to prop up your mandrels from now on. Good luck!
Old 2012-08-14, 1:31pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

What is your garage temp? Hollows, being thin, can be affected by sitting at high temps for long periods, especially if the kiln is a little off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-08-14, 10:11pm
Naysayer

Ah, to true Pam, I wonder if that's it. I've made plenty of jars and vessels which were ok, these were thinner. I have a wonderful Regular Guy from you So garage is at 925

Mary I will try the shards
Old 2012-08-15, 9:58am
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

If your picking up kiln marks, it can't hurt to lower the garage temp to say 910 and see if that is a fix. Propping should work as well, but I know sometimes there isn't room to prop them all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-08-15, 10:25am
da General

I'd invest in kiln racks. I use these from Arrow Springs (scroll down 2/3rds way on its home page) in my Glass Hive Kiln!

http://arrowsprings.com/Bead_and_Mandrel_Rest_2.jpg

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-08-15, 4:29pm
Naysayer

Thanks Hayley and Pam, I think I'll get that rack
Old 2012-08-17, 8:00pm

I have though about getting one of those from Arrow Speings, but I have a Paragon with a flip up bead door. Have had concerns about how to flip down the door to keep the heat in. Thoughts? (and if I am accidentally hijacking the thread, I can post elsewhere-but figured that since the solution was presented with that style of rack, I could get an answer here. Have been using a standard rod rack, but it limits how many beads I can do at one time.).

Beaded Chic

Old 2012-08-19, 4:58am
Naysayer

That's why I never bought one, I stack and I always thought a bead rack would limit how much I can do since I make lots 'O little beads usually. But I suppose I still can stack on it when I don't do hollows lol.

As for your other question I'm not too sure what you mean? My kiln has a flip up door, some heat escapes but nothing crazy as far as temps going down.
So I don't know, but here's a boost for someone that knows your kiln.