Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-06-11, 10:26am
Echo's Mother

It would be a long way for me to go to kick your butt. And since you will be doing us a favor .... I will send you a reminder PM.
Old 2013-06-11, 4:06pm
maybe tomorrow

OK, obviously these aren't working photos since I don't have a third hand, but I hope they'll illustrate the Osibin Formers well enough for people to give them a try. I seriously use these on almost every bead I make, even if I intend to press them. There is a learning curve to them, but once you've mastered it, they make it much easier/faster to get a nicely balanced bead.

The main problem I've noticed when people are learning to use these is that they tend to work too cool. The glass MUST be warm enough to actually move in order to do any shaping!

I am right handed, so these will show how I work with the former in my left hand, and the mandrel in my right. The smaller end of the curve should be pointing TOWARDS you. There should be holes on each side of the formers to allow you to unscrew the handle and reverse it if you are left handed.

Once you've got your glass on the mandrel, pick a spot on the former that is close to the width of the wrap, and spin the mandrel in place. Be sure there is enough glass to touch all the way across. Don't get it too thin at the ends. You want enough glass to be able to get good puckers.

This next image shows how you would angle the mandrel a bit to work the end closest to your hand.

This next image shows how you would angle the mandrel to work the end farthest from your hand.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll do my best to answer them. You can post in this thread (I've subscribed to it this time so I won't miss anything), but feel free to pm me if you want.

And again...I'M SO SORRY for the delay. I can't believe I forgot!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-06-11, 5:25pm
Echo's Mother

This helps a lot
Old 2013-06-11, 5:33pm

Thanks for the pictures; very helpful.

Mimi
Old 2013-06-12, 10:38pm
Naysayer

Yes it does help! I have the cone & vessel shaper, I love that one. Now that I see how to use this one I think I need it

Btw the cone & vessel makes perfect stubby bicones also by rolling a round at the < part...if that makes sense?
Old 2013-06-19, 5:09pm

A picture tells a thousand words! The pictures explain things so much better for this visual learner. Could I impose by asking you to take similar pictures for the disc and donut shaper and possibly the lentil shaper too, pretty please? Thanks

Old 2013-06-25, 8:01am
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebead View Post
A picture tells a thousand words! The pictures explain things so much better for this visual learner. Could I impose by asking you to take similar pictures for the disc and donut shaper and possibly the lentil shaper too, pretty please? Thanks
How weird. I responded to this a few days ago. Or at least I typed it all out. I seriously think I need some monitoring.

For the disk and sphere shaper, honestly, the picture would be just the same as the regular formers. You just need to be sure that you have the narrow, closed end of the depression facing you. Pick a spot that is close to the width of the glass on the mandrel, and spin it in place to shape.

The lentil shaper is not used by spinning in place like the others. For that one, Kim heats her glass, then presses one side into the shaper, heats again and presses the other side, then continues to heat and press alternate sides until she gets the lentil shape she wants. This will not necessarily give you the distinct sharp edge like some presses might, though I'd imagine that you could work it till you got that. I think it lends itself to a softer edge.

Does that help at all?

Old 2015-12-08, 10:09am

Very helpful, thanks for posting.
Old 2019-01-12, 5:56am

bumping this up because the info is soooo good!

Tags
osibin shaper