LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-04-29, 6:50am

I use one of those as a last resort if I can't get a bead of otherwise. I guess I can save four out of five stuck beads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Etsy-Shop:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- selling worldwide for 5 Euros s&h flat
My Homepage:

My facebook:
Old 2012-04-29, 7:16am
Now in living color

Thanks for bumping the thread! This is one of the most useful tips I've ever read. It has allowed me to make the long, heavy beads I craved but avoided because they weren't worth the hassel of trying to get off the mandrel. Ever since I got the riveter I've been free to make any size or shape I want. I use it all the time and I love it! Thanks again, Mark! I often thank you out loud when I'm using it.

Jinx

Last edited by Jinx Garza; 2012-08-01 at 4:02pm.
Old 2012-04-29, 11:44pm
Cave Dweller

Holy necro post, Batman !!

That's a pretty cool idea.
Old 2012-04-30, 11:33am
Practicing perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
So riveting tool is what this tool is called? I won't get that another-clueless-woman look if I ask for a riveting tool?
Yes, it's a riveting tool.

Here is a link to home depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...10000003+90282

I just wish I had seen this thread before I had my husband go make me a bead releasing tool. Not quite done, waiting for the paint to dry. Can hardly wait to try it.

Old 2012-05-01, 4:07pm

This is an incredible tip. Thanks.

I actually just ordered four new bead releases to try because of problems with beads sticking to mandrels. I'm completely new so this was probably my fault but it was still very frustrating.

I was basically having to do the following with all my beads. Clamp down with vice grips on mandrel. Take a larger jaw vice grip, wrap with washcloth and place jaws over bead. Crush down gently and pull while holding mandrel in place. Worked but lost a bead every once in a while or marred surface. Was also a ton of work to adjust grips and hold tightly.

This riveter solved all my problems!

Some notes on bead release:
The stuff I had before was Sunfire's Blue Coat Mandrel Release. Not a fan. About 1/3 of the time it would not stick to the mandrel during coating and had to be wiped free and re-dipped. Always worked the second dip oddly enough. If you left it out longer than a day or two it would flake off. And it broke free several times which is probably just me being stupid.

So far I've only tried Foster Fire Smooth and Tuff but it works much better. Far less stirring, one coat coverage, stable for a week so far and nothing breaking or having a hard time releasing. I've also gotten better at heat bases and directing flame so it might be an unfair comparison.

LE members enjoy a 10% discount with coupon code "LEmember"
Old 2012-05-03, 11:51am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

WD40 has been working well for me. Spray & let it sit for a little while.

Old 2012-05-03, 1:15pm

I love this tip.The reason I bumped it up.So the new folks could use it. I even went to Harbor Freight and bought a larger rivet tool for the big hole mandrels. Use the O-rings and it works everytime.It has saved me many a time. Now I have two bead release tools(rivet tools).I always think of Mark and say "Thanks" out loud too.
Its nice to have people like Mark to share his tips and ideas.
I do appreciate the help.
Janet C
Old 2012-05-03, 5:55pm

Harbor Freight has the rivet tool on sale this month. Just saw it in my flyer. Great buy!

Barbara
Old 2012-08-01, 4:00pm

Thank you thank you thank you all!!!! I've spent so much time trying to remove a stuck batch of beads- found this thread today, ran out to Harbor Freight... the beads came loose on the first try! Thank you again for this marvelous tip!
-Shelley G.
Old 2012-08-04, 1:03am
Everybody Needs Beads!

New tool!

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2012-08-08, 11:14am
Got Honey?

I just found this thread and I am going to go right out and get one of these! Holy cow what a great way to get them off. My hands ache after removing my beads (probably the bead release I am using has a part in that) I am switching to FPI and waiting for it in the mail!
Thanks so much!

Old 2012-08-11, 5:10am
Simply Bea

I have to try this!!!!!!
I have a couple of beads I don't want to lose which I have had in mandrels for a loooong time!!!!
If only I had seen this post before I went in to town today....*sigh*

/
Old 2012-08-11, 6:41am
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
I have to try this!!!!!!
I have a couple of beads I don't want to lose which I have had in mandrels for a loooong time!!!!
If only I had seen this post before I went in to town today....*sigh*
If you are in love with the beads, just be aware that if they are really "welded" to the rod, that you will not get them off whole just because you are using this. I've shattered a few.
Old 2012-08-13, 4:09am
Carpe beadum

So I wonder how you use this tool to rivet? Can we find some other use for it, bead-wise?

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2014-05-28, 4:39am
old fart

bump

Old 2014-05-29, 5:40am
one day at a time

To protect the bead end, you need to put a little rubber washer or a piece of flat packing foam in there.

Good thing about this tool is that if the bead breaks, this is your sign that it was never going to come off the mandrel in the first place.
Old 2014-05-29, 5:43am
Lifelong Student

Just got HD to look in his tools for one. He is sooooo money conscious he would rather take the time to search through all of his tools that are in storage right now than for me to buy a new one...he did find it! Now all I need is a stuck bead.
Old 2014-06-02, 12:05pm

Mark I am adding this to the shopping list! Do any of these tools work on the European charm size mandrels or larger? I make huge handles with one end closed and sometimes I have a rough time getting them off. This could make my life so much easier. LOL
Old 2014-06-03, 5:30pm
Phill

For big hole beads on mandrels that wont fit in a rivet gun you could "modify" a squeeze type clamp by drilling a hole through one piece and use the other piece to push the mandrel through the bead.

These clamp used to be kind of spendy but the knock offs have started coming out at reasonable prices.

ETA: Oh and the two handled wooden ones are very inexpensive these days and have enough area to allow for a dozen different sized holes in them although you might have to add a metal plate to push against after the wood gets chewed up a bit.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2014-06-03 at 5:33pm.

Tags
bead release tool