No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-21, 5:17pm
old person/new member

Talking need info on Dave Arens coil cutter

As I posted a couple of weeks ago, I'm using my dremel to cut jump rings. It works fine with one exception- it leaves little burrs on one side of the jump ring. I"m not sure why it does this, could be heat or just the roughness of the dremel blade.

So.....for those of you who use Dave Arens jump ring cutter, are you left with a smooth jump ring or do you have to file or sand off any roughness.

What I would LOVE is to be able to cut the rings and NOT have to do a damn thing to them other than tumble them after they are assembled in a piece of jewellery!

Thanks a bunch in advance!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-21, 5:26pm
Dichro Addict

I have one and I love it. I think sometimes you do get a tiny burr, but you can get it off with your fingernail. And it seems that even that is rare. I don't ever have to file them.

Old 2009-01-21, 5:29pm

I have one too. It works great - all I do is tumble the rings. I am using the blades that Dave recommended...

Old 2009-01-21, 5:29pm

Cathy, it works very well as long as you have a sharp blade. Here's a web site with instructions for how to use it, as well as Dave's email address. He doesn't have his own web site, but if you email him he'll send you a PDF catalog with all the info. It's a nice tool for a reasonable price.

http://www.desiredcreations.com/howTo_TLKoilKutter.htm

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)

Last edited by Diane (clarus); 2009-01-21 at 5:30pm. Reason: oops - forgot link to web site.
Old 2009-01-22, 12:10am
Corgi Cult Member

I have a different jump ring system, but I always tumble the rings without water or shot after they are cut but before I use them. Then I also tumble the finished piece with water and shot. The initial tumbling is very effective at removing the small burrs.

Old 2009-01-22, 7:28am
old person/new member

Thanks everyone

Kathy- am I understanding you correctly- you tumble them in your tumbler dry? How many would you put in there and how long do you tumble them? Maybe I'll try that before I decide on the coil cutter-

Thanks again!

Old 2009-01-22, 3:45pm
Corgi Cult Member

Yes, I put them in dry. Usually I tumble them by type or project. If there are two size rings for a project and they are easy to tell apart in size (say a 6mm and 3mm) then I'll tumble them together. If however they are close enough in size that it would be a pain in the butt to sort them out, I'll tumble them separately. I usually tumble anywhere from 1/2 hr to 1 hr depending on how impatient I am. The more burrs they have, the longer you will need to tumble them.

You'll be amazed how many little "pieces" come off the rings while they are in the tumbler.

I have heard good reviews on the coil cutter. I purchased the Pepe jump ring maker, and although I like it, it wasn't a problem free purchase.

Last edited by artwhim; 2009-01-22 at 3:47pm.
Old 2009-01-22, 8:24pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I have Dave's Koil Kutter, and I love it.
After I cut the rings, I usually tumble them though. Gets
them PERFECTLY shiny and gorgeous!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-01-23, 7:43am
old person/new member

Hi Karen

do you tumble them before you make something out of them? Would one tumble do it?